• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox Reportedly Nearing Deal With Edwin Encarnacion

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Castellanos, to be honest. We had been linked to him over the weekend as well.

But... Edwin is a strong consolation.

He's old but he still posted strong numbers last year. He played only 109 games but still managed 34 HR's, .344 OBP and a 2.7 WAR. Probably what I like most is his ability to take a free base. This lineup needs plate discipline and walks, badly.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Castellanos, to be honest. We had been linked to him over the weekend as well.

But... Edwin is a strong consolation.

He's old but he still posted strong numbers last year. He played only 109 games but still managed 34 HR's, .344 OBP and a 2.7 WAR. Probably what I like most is his ability to take a free base. This lineup needs plate discipline and walks, badly.
My exact same sentiments. If it does turn out that the Sox go with Encarnacion vs Castellanos, my guess is because they view the need for a DH carries a short time frame with it. Edwin would get a much shorter contract and likely less money per year at that. Maybe a one year/2nd year option vs a 6 or 7 year contract that Nick will obviously receive. We have to figure that at some point in '21-'22 Andrew Vaughn is going to make it to the parent club. He'll likely take over 1b, which in turn will make Abreu the primary DH.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s not exactly spry at this point. Certainly can mash. Don’t know if this would be the best fit. I would imagine he would be purely a DH. The team already has a rotating DH spot of Abreu, McCann and Grandal.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s not exactly spry at this point. Certainly can mash. Don’t know if this would be the best fit. I would imagine he would be purely a DH. The team already has a rotating DH spot of Abreu, McCann and Grandal.
I was thinking up to the point of this latest possible signing that the Sox would go into '20 with a DH carousel. To me, if/when Encarnacion is inked, it's McCann who will most see his playing time slashed significantly. His role would be relegated to just being Grandal's backup and not much else.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think McCann is more of a guy you would love to have as your 2nd catcher and not as your 1st anyway. He sort of caught lightning in a bottle with that 1st half last season. Crazy BABIP helped a lot.

The only thing I may not like is that Grandal has to actually sit on his off days (maybe pinch-hit) from catching instead of DH'ing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My exact same sentiments. If it does turn out that the Sox go with Encarnacion vs Castellanos, my guess is because they view the need for a DH carries a short time frame with it. Edwin would get a much shorter contract and likely less money per year at that. Maybe a one year/2nd year option vs a 6 or 7 year contract that Nick will obviously receive. We have to figure that at some point in '21-'22 Andrew Vaughn is going to make it to the parent club. He'll likely take over 1b, which in turn will make Abreu the primary DH.

I am more into the idea of Castellanos since it would also allow us to sit Mazara against LHP. He could DH vs RHP and play RF vs LHP. I mean, both are subpar defensively but at least he gives you that option.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more into the idea of Castellanos since it would also allow us to sit Mazara against LHP. He could DH vs RHP and play RF vs LHP. I mean, both are subpar defensively but at least he gives you that option.
Like I said, we're in agreement, at least in principle. Let's face it, take the money and contract length of time out of the equation....who would we rather have? I'm simply trying to play the Sox brass mind reading game here. If the Sox have designs on bringing Vaughn up at some point in '21 or definitely no later than '22, then I can at least see why they'd want to go the shorter route of a one year contract (with an option year, natch) vs a 6-7 year version. Doesn't mean I'd necessarily agree, but I understand the logic.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Madrigal and Robert come up...

Madrigal
Robert
Eloy
Moncada
Abreu
Grandal
Encarnacion
Anderson
Mazara

That's a suuupper rough draft that I put zero thought into. A very legit lineup.

Then...

Giolito
Kuechel
Kopech
Gio Gonzalez
Cease

With Rodon back at some point as well.

With Rey Lopez filling in if we shutdown Kopech or Rodon is delayed.

I mean, wild to say... but a couple bullpen pieces and I don't see how we fall short of being a respectable big league team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Madrigal and Robert come up...

Madrigal
Robert
Eloy
Moncada
Abreu
Grandal
Encarnacion
Anderson
Mazara

That's a suuupper rough draft that I put zero thought into. A very legit lineup.

You committed the ultimate sin - you have Abreu batting 5th!!!!! J/K of course, but in all seriousness, do you think there's any chance in Hell that he'll bat anywhere but 3rd? It seems like that his permanent spot in the order. I personally feel now that we've juiced the lineup, he's best served as our clean up hitter with Moncada taking over the 3 spot. But my guess is when the season starts, Jose will be there at #3.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You committed the ultimate sin - you have Abreu batting 5th!!!!! J/K of course, but in all seriousness, do you think there's any chance in Hell that he'll bat anywhere but 3rd? It seems like that his permanent spot in the order. I personally feel now that we've juiced the lineup, he's best served as our clean up hitter with Moncada taking over the 3 spot. But my guess is when the season starts, Jose will be there at #3.

Honestly? It was harder for me to put Grandal 6th. Like I said, such a rough draft and I really just shot from the hip. This is also assuming that Robert/Madrigal are what we hope them to be or close to it.

Abreu isn't the hitter that Moncada is and Eloy should fly by him this year. I'm definitely not hitting him 1 or 2. I think he's in the best position to succeed protecting either of those guys in front of him. Plus, he should come up with guys on-base a lot.

Maybe with some legitimate pop in the lineup Ricky will actually stop bunting... Probably too much to ask.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come up with a tentative opening day batting order on the assumption that neither Robert nor Madrigal will be there because of that BS time of service. Then I've adjusted for some point around later May when hopefully by then both will be on the roster.

Opening day:

1. Anderson, SS
2. Grandal, C
3. Abreu, 1B
4. Moncada, 3b
5. Encarnacion, DH
6. Jimenez LF
7. Garcia, CF
8. Mazara, RF
9. Mendick, 2B

Late May:

1. Anderson, SS
2. Robert, CF
3. Abreu, 1B
4. Moncada, 3b
5. Jimenez, LF
6. Encarnacion, DH
7. Grandal, C
8. Mazara/Garcia, RF (platoon)
9. Madrigal, 2B

It might be a bit chancy sticking Robert so high up in the order during his first weeks playing in the bigs, but I like placing him between Anderson and Abreu so that the opposition won't be able to pitch around him. Notice that I switched Eloy and Edwin come May. I feel that by then Eloy will show that he's a better overall hitter and will justify swapping out. And altho I concur about Moncada being the better hitter than Abreu and would like to see those two swapped in the order, I just don't see the Sox moving Jose from that 3 spot. Not unless he proves he doesn't deserve being there.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30+ dongs 8 years in a row.

I like it.

But he's 37 so anyone that didn't like Abreu...my condolences.

Strikes out a lot. That's how we like 'em I guess.

Even if he regresses some, there's no doubt we are like +5 in the win column minimum on just the DH position alone.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strikes out a lot. That's how we like 'em I guess.

But he also walked more than anyone on our team last year. Throw in walks-fanatic Grandal and the eventual promotion of Madrigal, and I think we'll see more guys getting that cheap free base than we've had in some time.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he also walked more than anyone on our team last year. Throw in walks-fanatic Grandal and the eventual promotion of Madrigal, and I think we'll see more guys getting that cheap free base than we've had in some time.

Hopefully it's contagious.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Robert will be starting the season on the roster:

1. Anderson, SS
2. Robert, CF
3. Abreu, 1B
4. Moncada, 3b
5. Jimenez, LF
6. Encarnacion, DH
7. Grandal, C
8. Mazara RF
9. Mendick/Garcia, 2B

This would be the opening day roster, with Madrigal slated to join sometime in late April-early May. However, I'm a bit skittish about having Robert begin the '20 campaign so high in the order. I imagine he'd have to have one hell of a Spring Training to merit starting the season at the #2 spot, so I can see him and Grandal swapping, at least early on.