• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox Claim Former Top Prospect AJ Reed Off Waivers - Promote to Big Leagues

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth taking a flier and filling Palka's roster spot with him. IMO

Generally, the whole "change of scenery" thing doesn't pan out. But every once in a while... it does. I'm not holding my breath, but again... worth a flier.

Former top prospect AJ Reed's Astros tenure ends

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about Reed (a left-handed hitter) stepping right into the first base/DH role with Abreu that Alonso occupied. His scouting report praises his defensive ability.

This is a guy whose combined for over 60 home runs and 200 RBI's at the AAA level over the past two seasons. Has twice led the minor leagues in home runs. Just didn't get it going in 150 PA's in the bigs. Very possible that he's a quadruple A guy for life, but I'm looking forward to see if he can figure out how swim when we toss him in the water.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was assigned to Charlotte.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, I see they moved him from Charlotte to the majors already.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we'd focus on where we really need to … pitching & more pitching.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't be any worse than 0 for 30-something guy...So I guess why the hell not?

Granted, pulling some schlub off the street and throwing him in the lineup is not a good indication that our team is anywhere near a World Series run...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we'd focus on where we really need to … pitching & more pitching.

Signing AJ Reed has no impact on what we will or would have done with pitching. He fills the Palka/Alonso role on the roster.

That would be like saying "We need cereal worse out of everything. So don't shop for eggs yet... which we also need"

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing AJ Reed has no impact on what we will or would have done with pitching. He fills the Palka/Alonso role on the roster.

That would be like saying "We need cereal worse out of everything. So don't shop for eggs yet... which we also need"

if there were some indication that things were being addressed equally i doubt craig would have made the comment. signing read, regardless of your hopes, is a sideways move at best based on his lack of production. i've no doubt that if reed had been on the sox and we dropped him to pick up palka you be gushing over the fact he hit 27 home runs last year!
reed for palka is trading eggs for eggs. wanting the team to focus on cereal is what they SHOULD be doing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there were some indication that things were being addressed equally i doubt craig would have made the comment. signing read, regardless of your hopes, is a sideways move at best based on his lack of production. i've no doubt that if reed had been on the sox and we dropped him to pick up palka you be gushing over the fact he hit 27 home runs last year!
reed for palka is trading eggs for eggs. wanting the team to focus on cereal is what they SHOULD be doing.

First off, no one is gushing over Reed. He's a guy who has torn the minors apart and then underwhelmed in 150 big league PA's. Whenever you sign a guy who was a big name and topic of discussion in the prospect world just a couple of years back. It's going to be talked about more than simply calling up Matt Skole or bringing in some average/subpar worn-out veteran.

It's kind of like in football. Nobody talks much about 99% of undrafted free agent signings following the draft. However, every year there's a guy or two undrafted that was a star college player or Heisman QB candidate at one point. Then, yeah... people chirp on it.

Yes, if we signed Daniel Palka from the outside. I'm sure that I would look at the 27 HR's from last season and say "Hey, maybe we can get a repeat of that production in the 2nd half". So what? I made it very clear that I'm not holding my breath on Reed.

This isn't even getting into the fact that Reed is the equivalent of upgrading from a shit sandwich (Palka) to a filet mignon defensively at first base.

You haven't connected the dots here. You've pointed out that our pitching is bad. That's not an alternative. Who is available? Give me one decent name or an equivalent to Reed. Young former top prospect looking for a change in scenery. What's a name that would have made you happy? Didn't we just call up Cease and have him debut too? Or am I dreaming?

I have a feeling if we had signed one of the many underwhelming minor league journeymen or washed out veteran pitchers available. You'd be sitting here saying "Well, that doesn't help! Thanks a lot!"

reed for palka is trading eggs for eggs.

Precisely my point. We needed eggs and we got them in Reed. Literally, we needed them to complete our baseball team's roster. It's early July. Sorry that they couldn't land an established left handed hitting first baseman pacing for a 3 WAR. I am seriously sitting and wondering what your alternative would be. Leave the spot vacant? Skole? Why is that better?

Also, at this point... what pitcher can we sign that isn't trading cereal for cereal with Lopez, Covey or Nova?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well ... ""but I am intrigued (perhaps even a tiny bit excited) to see it play out. Really good eye and a ton of raw power"" and then suggesting 'you never know, maybe he could be a jd martinez'. to me this is a little bit like gushing.

and you obviously completely missed my point. eggs for eggs means nothing. it's a sideways transaction! we DON'T need more eggs! and don't throw "well who would you get" at me either. i'm not the gm! i only know when i see stupid moves. in this case it's letting go a player who apparently sucks for a player who apparently sucks. i don't understand making moves when you don't know what moves to make.
it's not my fucking job to impress you with who i'd get!

i STILL am of the opinion there was nothing wrong with craig's post and there was no reason to take issue with it. he was RIGHT!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it's officially official now:

White Sox recalled 1B/DH A.J. Reed from Triple-A Charlotte.
Reed was claimed off waivers from the Astros over the All-Star break and will join the White Sox for the start of the second half. The 26-year-old former top prospect owns a weak .153/.253/.244 career batting line in the major leagues, but a change of scenery will maybe help the cause. He figures to platoon between DH and first base in Chicago. It's very much a wait-and-see situation in fantasy.