• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox call up Reynaldo Lopez

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember in another thread when we were talking how putrid he had been in AAA and that his career was clearly over? Had nearly a 10 ERA, 2+ WHIP, etc. That was like a week ago. Fast forward through the AS break. He had one decent start. Then, this.

I know it will be in a bullpen role, but good lord. I had enough of this guy a WAYS back now. Does he have blackmail photos on the entire White Sox front office or something?

I suppose bad starters can have success as relievers. So, it's not totally implausible. I'm sure he will mostly eat garbage innings at first. But... his stuff isn't really conducive to being a successful reliever. His fastball is totally flat and he doesn't have that one off speed pitch that you could really develop into a dominant strike out pitch. He just has a few "blah" off speed pitches.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Lopez' last chance - the next roster move off would have to be a DFA. He had good stuff in 2018/19, but his head is messed up with too much conscious advice.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding strong that this is an audition for trade partners

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding strong that this is an audition for trade partners
Who in the hell is trading for Rey Lopez? Lol. Worst starter in baseball last season, 8 ERA in AAA, and a reliever with 0 career relief appearances and 0 big league innings this year. Sorry, but that's not realistic.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who in the hell is trading for Rey Lopez? Lol. Worst starter in baseball last season, 8 ERA in AAA, and a reliever with 0 career relief appearances and 0 big league innings this year. Sorry, but that's not realistic.
I mean…The same argument can be made for even playing the guy…and an over century old baseball franchise is doing that…so reality is what it is.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will, but Rey Lopez scared Giolito into a complete game today. There's that.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez is performing and deserves more innings.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez is performing and deserves more innings.
We're really doing this again? Come on people... this guy is a clown. You know damn well the second you give him an actual role that he's going to take a massive dump in his pants.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're really doing this again? Come on people... this guy is a clown. You know damn well the second you give him an actual role that he's going to take a massive dump in his pants.
Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical - Yogi Berra

Lopez has the talent and he has proven that back in 18, but taking the pressure off from starting - seems to have made him more effective in relief.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're going to send him down while he's pitching well? Think Biggles, think!!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lopez has the talent and he has proven that back in 18, but taking the pressure off from starting - seems to have made him more effective in relief.

I mean...I could give a sh*t if he blows a game or two in a regular season we're up a ton on second place...but that man WILL lose us a playoff game if given the opportunity. 90% indeed.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...I could give a sh*t if he blows a game or two in a regular season we're up a ton on second place...but that man WILL lose us a playoff game if given the opportunity. 90% indeed.
He may not even make the playoff roster. I think the point of all this is since we can't trade him, at least not now, and since he's been pitching pretty well, why not just keep the status quo for the time being. If he starts to suck again, or let's even say when he does then he can always be sent back down or even cut. I don't see the rocket science here.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not even make the playoff roster. I think the point of all this is since we can't trade him, at least not now, and since he's been pitching pretty well, why not just keep the status quo for the time being. If he starts to suck again, or let's even say when he does then he can always be sent back down or even cut. I don't see the rocket science here.
I think the concern is, he does make the playoff roster, where a fuckup matters.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concern is, he does make the playoff roster, where a fuckup matters.
Agreed, but that's putting the cart before the horse. There's zero indication at this point that Lopez makes the playoff roster. Maybe so, maybe not. If I had to throw a guess out there, I'd say his only real chance of making it is to pretty much pitch lights out for the rest of the season. And I wouldn't place any serious odds on this happening. But in the meantime, so long as he's throwing ok, then let the status quo remain.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah... just like how it was worked out when he went to his sports psychologist. Come on. This is a guy who was getting OBLITERATED in AAA a month ago.

Lopez isn't overly talented. I hate to break it to everyone. Dude's fastball is flat and screams "hit me". His slider is okay... but he's never shown any command. His changeup has typically stunk.

Until he actually proves himself? We need to stop this whole delusion.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez isn't overly talented.
tenor.gif

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... just like how it was worked out when he went to his sports psychologist. Come on. This is a guy who was getting OBLITERATED in AAA a month ago.

Lopez isn't overly talented. I hate to break it to everyone. Dude's fastball is flat and screams "hit me". His slider is okay... but he's never shown any command. His changeup has typically stunk.

Until he actually proves himself? We need to stop this whole delusion.
In his 7 inning sample - on return to the Sox - while other Sox pitchers have floundered - Lopez is 1.29 era, .053 whip and .133 batting average against. Small sample for sure, but he's building confidence and gets to have Katz keeping his delivery on form.

In 2018 Giolito was the disaster and Lopez was the hope of the future.

For now - he gets to eat up innings that don't mean much in terms of the game outcome - and keeping the rest of the bullpen fresh for the bigger moments -and maybe that's all the value Lopez has to give. I think there is more to be unlocked and that the line between being a good pitcher and a bad pitcher is a very fine line.