• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which young QB entering their second year as starter takes the biggest leap in 2022?

Which young QB entering their second year as starter takes the biggest leap in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the Ravens with Lamar have already gotten as deep in the playoffs as pure passer Romo ever did. Or with Dak. The book isn't written on Lamar. I woundnt be shocked if the Ravens emerge from the AFC next year.
BTW Just so you know. Lamar is 1-3 in playoffs. Who is light years better than Hurts. Kinda tells you all you need to know. Which is my point with running Qbs.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Hurts, Fields or Mills are NFL QBs. Jones was pretty good last year. I'd say Lawrence #1 and maybe Wilson a distant #2 although not sure about Wilson either

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While many might be looking at the QB situation at the top in the AFC and AFC West specifically I think the real QB storyline to watch in 2022 is who ends up making the biggest leap for QBs who will be making their second season as the starter. I'm a lot higher on Davis Mills than most and I think Doug Pederson is going to save Trevor Lawrence's career and we will see the results immediately but in the end I think Jalen Hurts takes a big leap in year 3 but what is only his second season as a starting QB.
It will definitely be Jalen Hurts. He will go from worst to 2nd worst!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll put on my homer hat and say Mac.

The kid showed he has NFL QB talent last year. He was polished going through his progressions. Granted the play book wasn't huge.

The Pats just signed Parker from Miami which gives him a real target he didn't have.

James White is expected to be back at full strength.

Rumors about bringing in Metcalf (I don't see this happening) or OBJ (who I don't really care for) would certainly upgrade the WR Corps.

Look for BB to use some pics on WR and OL.

I think Mac is least likely to take the biggest leap.

He was the best of the group last year and far and away the most polished, NFL ready rookie.

Good chance he is still the best QB next season, but I just don’t think he has a super high ceiling and he has already established himself as a solid NFL starter.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think looking at this objectively, there are some factors besides just how good we think the QB is. For example, Fields may very well be as talented as any in the long run but Chicago doesn't have a lot of weapons around him and needs to hit big with limited draft picks. A new coach might help but they need players. I think it will be another long season of growing pains for Bears fans.
Lawrence wil not only have the benefit of a big upgrade in coaching (let's be honest, Hue Jackson would be a huge upgrade from Urban Meyer), but the Jags have upgraded their WR room and have a lot of draft capital to rebuild their roster. Obviously, T.L. will have to eliminate some mistakes but the vibe in that building will be a lot better and I think Lawrence will have a big improvement over last year.
The Jets appear to be headed in the right direction so maybe Wilson makes a jump. But they also have been hit by the injury bug. I have no doubt that is partially due to playing on the shittiest turf in the league. But the Jets year after year fuck things up so who knows.
As for the other guys, I think we have to ask how high their ceiling really is.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was the best of the group last year and far and away the most polished, NFL ready rookie.

Good chance he is still the best QB next season, but I just don’t think he has a super high ceiling and he has already established himself as a solid NFL starter.
Kirk cousins.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It better be Trevor. #1 pick and was the chosen one since H.S. He has weapons now and no Urban. No excuses if he is throwing a ton of picks
While he was the chosen one, Fields was in the same tier coming out of high school. ESPN even had him as the #1 recruit while others had him #2 behind Lawrence.

I'm still not ridiculously impressed with the Jags skill positions but Fields might be in a worse position. Both QBs need to show something next year or they're almost certainly going down the Winston/Mariota path

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he was the chosen one, Fields was in the same tier coming out of high school. ESPN even had him as the #1 recruit while others had him #2 behind Lawrence.

I'm still not ridiculously impressed with the Jags skill positions but Fields might be in a worse position. Both QBs need to show something next year or they're almost certainly going down the Winston/Mariota path
I agree but for some time there seemed like a decent gap between TL and Fields, mainly due to the UGA issues. I definitely think the gap closed over time. Yeah Fields doesn’t have much as far as weapons and a bad OL. Like you said, both should see improvement but more pressure on TL

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but for some time there seemed like a decent gap between TL and Fields, mainly due to the UGA issues. I definitely think the gap closed over time. Yeah Fields doesn’t have much as far as weapons and a bad OL. Like you said, both should see improvement but more pressure on TL
Equal pressure on both imo. Chicago is a tough market. Historically speaking, very few QBs survive two lackluster years

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the goal posts moved again???
I can't call it far as past conversations go, but if they hadn't before, I'd opine the goal posts have been moved now. The biggest reasons for that being Jackson and Allen. I'd even say Mahomes as well to a certain extent who had career highs in both rushes and rushing yards last year. Jackson just led his team in rushing yards for the 3rd year in a row and while he's never led his team in any year with rushing TDs. Over these last 3 years he's scored more rushing TDs than any Baltimore player. Allen finished 2nd on his team in rushing, 763 yards to Devin Singletary's 870 yards, but on 66 fewer carries, averaging more than 1.5 yards per carry than Singletary and scoring 1 less rushing TD, 6, to Singletary's 7 rushing TDs. A case could be made that Allen's rushing yards were just as important or even moreso than Singletary's rushing yards.

Concerning Hurts. He was the Eagles leading rusher with 784 yards, led the team in carries with 139, had the team's best ypc at 5.64 and scored 40% of the team's 25 rushing TDs leading the Eagles with 10 rushing TDs. As a team last year the Eagles rushed for 159.7 yards, averaged 4.94 ypc and scored 1.47 rushing TDs per game. Take away Hurts production and the Eagles as a team rush for 113.5 yards at 4.68 yards a carry and score 0.88 rushing TDs per game.

Yeah, if they weren't before. The goal posts have certainly been moved with running QBs, at least imo.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't call it far as past conversations go, but if they hadn't before, I'd opine the goal posts have been moved now. The biggest reasons for that being Jackson and Allen. I'd even say Mahomes as well to a certain extent who had career highs in both rushes and rushing yards last year. Jackson just led his team in rushing yards for the 3rd year in a row and while he's never led his team in any year with rushing TDs. Over these last 3 years he's scored more rushing TDs than any Baltimore player. Allen finished 2nd on his team in rushing, 763 yards to Devin Singletary's 870 yards, but on 66 fewer carries, averaging more than 1.5 yards per carry than Singletary and scoring 1 less rushing TD, 6, to Singletary's 7 rushing TDs. A case could be made that Allen's rushing yards were just as important or even moreso than Singletary's rushing yards.

Concerning Hurts. He was the Eagles leading rusher with 784 yards, led the team in carries with 139, had the team's best ypc at 5.64 and scored 40% of the team's 25 rushing TDs leading the Eagles with 10 rushing TDs. As a team last year the Eagles rushed for 159.7 yards, averaged 4.94 ypc and scored 1.47 rushing TDs per game. Take away Hurts production and the Eagles as a team rush for 113.5 yards at 4.68 yards a carry and score 0.88 rushing TDs per game.

Yeah, if they weren't before. The goal posts have certainly been moved with running QBs, at least imo.
Nice post and I agree with what you are saying, but that had nothing to do with the point. Dak‘s 6 rushing TDs per year in his first 3 years weren’t allowed as part of the conversation of comparing he and Wentz as per Eagles fans. Now they are touting rushing TDs. Goal posts moved…

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post and I agree with what you are saying, but that had nothing to do with the point. Dak‘s 6 rushing TDs per year in his first 3 years weren’t allowed as part of the conversation of comparing he and Wentz as per Eagles fans. Now they are touting rushing TDs. Goal posts moved…

Which years do you want to include them in the conversation? We can retroactively go back and look at it if this is an argument you want to make.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which years do you want to include them in the conversation? We can retroactively go back and look at it if this is an argument you want to make.
There is no argument about Dak And Wentz.

Dak was and is better period.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Hurts, Fields or Mills are NFL QBs. Jones was pretty good last year. I'd say Lawrence #1 and maybe Wilson a distant #2 although not sure about Wilson either

Why do you think this about Mills? My boy is neck and shoulders above the competition.

E__VJK2UcA4bE_m

E__tTHPUUAc9rkh.jpg

E__dN9lVQAcy0nf.jpg

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word. Which is why I said I can't call it far as any previous conversations you n Koy or anyone else had about QBs being rushers and all that entails. I'm not trying to dispute anyone's opinion or co-sign anyone's opinion from those previous conversations. Admittedly I'm beyond late to those conversations and have no say in them whatsoever. What I posted is just my own opinion of the last few years on how a QB's running stats can't be ignored or dismissed. I agree that the goal posts have been moved and it was the correct thing to do so.