• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which QB would you want? DT or Pro style?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Bloods = Get the Pro style QB

Everyone else should want the DT QB everytime.

Pro style means taking the ball from center, running the football a lot, doing play actions and airing the ball out. You need good (oline) talent to do all that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Bloods = Get the Pro style QB

Everyone else should want the DT QB everytime.

Pro style means taking the ball from center, running the football a lot, doing play actions and airing the ball out. You need good (oline) talent to do all that.

I agree that better teams are needed to make pro style work, but I disagree that pro style still means taking the ball from under center or that you can't spread things out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have two 5 star QBs in HS playing about 10 miles from each other here in So Cal and are going to be in the 2020 class. One is the #1 dual threat. The other big , big arm and runs in HS but might now run as much in college and is the #1 pro style.

A- DJ Uiagalelei- 6-4" 240 and can throw like 70 yards from his knees.

B- Bryce Young- 5'11" 170 lbs

I would have said DT but that guy is too small.

So pro Style in this case.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyler Murray DT
Baker Mayfield DT
Sam Bradford Pro
Jason White Pro

Won with them all. All of em broke QB records. All Heisman winners.

All of them had 1k+ yard rushers. All had elite Olines.

Defense man. Defense. I will say this though. Kyler and Baker were more successful with their style, the defense let us down.

In Sam and Jason's style their lack of extending plays cost us. Their 2 title games we lost because the offense fluttered.

I think DT is better. You just gotta have a good D.

Eh

Baker isn't really your typical DT

And no not because of race

Martell is DT
Manziel was DT

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh

Baker isn't really your typical DT

And no not because of race

Martell is DT
Manziel was DT
Disagree. Bakers ability to extend plays with his feet most definitely make him DT. He had over 1000 career rushing yards and 21 rushing TDs.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that better teams are needed to make pro style work, but I disagree that pro style still means taking the ball from under center or that you can't spread things out.
Fair enough. Dual threat/Spread concepts are used at the NFL level so its all fairly fluid.

I just feel that over the course of a decade, you'll have more consistency with a pro style system when it comes to top tier recruiting.

NFL recruits probably dont want to play with Steamin Willie Beamen unless they have to

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever Trevor Lawrence is.

Thor Odinson was considers a pro style QB out of high school, but he's fully capable of turning the ball upfield and making plays with his legs when it's called for.

CouchOnFire

Statism is a disease
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have two 5 star QBs in HS playing about 10 miles from each other here in So Cal and are going to be in the 2020 class. One is the #1 dual threat. The other big , big arm and runs in HS but might now run as much in college and is the #1 pro style.

Young led them over IMG, didn't he? I heard he's better than JT... kid can ball out for sure.
Bosco's beat is going to be a pro...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young led them over IMG, didn't he? I heard he's better than JT... kid can ball out for sure.
Bosco's beat is going to be a pro...

I saw both play as freshmen in HS. DJ was impressive fro the start. Big kid with a cannon of an arm who was still able to run and look like TE with the ball. The only thing was could he develop a touch.
Bryce was really small but could throw the deep ball and kept plays alive. I wasn't sold that he would be big boy college QB. I have always been a skeptic of QBs at 6' and under. He transferred to Mater Dei and he got better and better and I watched his game against IMG and he's seriously good now. I'm not sure USC can keep him commited

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the DT QB to be favored over the Pro-Style QB, the DT
QB still needs some height and weight to him. He also MUST be able
to throw the drop-back pass. If you have to sprint the QB out so that
he can see his receivers, you will lose 1/3 of the field to throw to.
(The defense will just roll their secondary)

A Pro-style guy, has the entire field to throw to and forces the defense to defend the entire field. (That ain't easy)

Mayfield was so good at OU because even though he could run
and extend plays, he always looked to throw first and only ran
when all else failed. I really liked that guy. He reminded me of Staubach and Charlie Ward. He was hell to defend.

But if I had to pick, I'm going with a true Pro-style every time.
If my QB is needed to run, I ain't gonna win a whole lot of games,
anyway

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went with the first QB in the OP.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For college dual threat is the best. For the pros it's easily the other.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the question, I want a true DT because it makes the defense commit at least one defender to account for the run threat of the QB instead of dropping into coverage. The problem is far too often these days dual threat is used to slot a running QB when it should mean exactly what it says: the QB possesses the skillset to be a threat running and passing.

Using Clemson as an example, Deshaun Watson and Tajh Boyd were dual threat QBs for us because they could hurt you both thru the air and on the ground. Kelly Bryant is a running QB because of the limitations in his passing game.

IMO Trevor Lawrence is a dual threat because while he doesn't run as much as Watson or Boyd he can make plays with his legs. He's not going to run it as much as some others but when he does he's been highly effective.