• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which QB is more likely to break out this year?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Weeden or EJ Manuel?

I've liked what I've seen from both of these guys in the preseason and I'll be watching them closely in week 1. Just wondering what your thoughts are on which of these guys is more likely to emerge into, say, the top 15 QB's this year?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Weeden will progress, but probably more visibly when Gordon comes back. As for Manuel, he coaches are obviously all in on him, going into the season with only an undrafted rookie to back him up.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Weeden will progress, but probably more visibly when Gordon comes back. As for Manuel, he coaches are obviously all in on him, going into the season with only an undrafted rookie to back him up.

So what do you think? The reason I'm asking is because I have one spot on my bench open for a QB who may break out. I have Weeden, but I'm closely monitoring Manuel and he's available.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Manuel (in fact I have him in one league where I'm weak at QB). Those rushing yards always help.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Manuel will put up better fantasy numbers only because of the rushing stats. I think Weeden will emerge as a reliable bye-week replacement as well, but Manuel has more upside because of his legs.

If you grab Manual, be ready to change course though. Weeden now has ultra-aggressive play callers at the helm and some interesting skill pieces in place. I would take Gordon and Cameron any day over the receiving options in Buffalo.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hold onto Weeden, man. E.J. will be satisfactory, and maybe even a light of hope for us Bills' fans, but Weeden will have 10 more TD's and 1000 more yards, at least. Sure, E.J. will get some yards rushing, but I don't think it's enough to make up the difference over the long run. I know it's cliche, but with Norv Turner there now, we should be thinking of the Rivers-LT-Gates-VJax team as the Browns now, with Weeden-TRich-Cameron-Gordon.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weeden or Manuel?

Good question. Much has been said about T-Rich, Cameron and Gordon exploding offensively in Cleveland. Plus there's the excitement of Norv Turner running the offense. If Turner uses T-Rich like he did Tomlinson (screen passes), and Cameron like he did Gates, then Weeden will be the beneficiary of some decent ball movement.

That said, I see many reports that are down-playing Weeden's preseason success as a byproduct of some weak (or vanilla) preseason opponents.

As for Manuel, I suppose you can make a similar argument with Spiller and Johnson in the mix. But I never consider it a good sign when your brand new QB goes in for knee surgery before a regular season game has been played - even if it considered "minor."

So while I like both, I'd lean more towards Weeden only because of Norv Turner's history.