• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Lockette Play Call Was Worse?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass to Ricardo in the Superbowl
or
the ladderal to Tyler last night?

Why does Pete keep doing this shit? Carson was running the ball like a tank. You have to give the ball to Carson on 3rd and 2 and needing only one first down to ice the game. If your OC recommends that play, in that situation, at that point in the game, the head coach should punch him in the face.

Sure, some of you are going to say, who cares? We won. Yeah, we won...on a gift roughing the passer call and a Zuerlin missed field goal. And if we had lost, that call on 3rd down is where the finger would be pointed.

t

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No E.

:)

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass to Ricardo in the Superbowl
or
the ladderal to Tyler last night?

Why does Pete keep doing this shit? Carson was running the ball like a tank. You have to give the ball to Carson on 3rd and 2 and needing only one first down to ice the game. If your OC recommends that play, in that situation, at that point in the game, the head coach should punch him in the face.

Sure, some of you are going to say, who cares? We won. Yeah, we won...on a gift roughing the passer call and a Zuerlin missed field goal. And if we had lost, that call on 3rd down is where the finger would be pointed.

Honestly I think there were some other coaching errors last night more egregious than that play. First of all I don't think that play was ever intended to be a pitch back to Lockett. It just kind of worked out that way when Russell realized he wasn't going to be able to scramble into the endzone. It was dangerous of DangeRuss to try that there, but that's how he plays most of the time so whatever.

Worse things the coaches did/didn't do last night:
  • They had a great drive going at the end of the 1st half. Carson running well. 4th and 1 (actually it was only about 11 inches they needed) and you have a choice to go for it or kick a long 48 yard FG. I know this is second guessing with perfect hindsight but I think they clearly should have went for it there. I think there's a high probability that they convert that play. And once Myers missed the kick there was a monumental switch in momentum and the Rams found their passing game.
  • Which brings me to the Rams passing game. Did anyone else notice how far off our defenders were playing the Rams WR's and TE's?? Time and time again they'd catch the ball and the closest Seahawk had to run over 5 yards just to get close to them. And then they'd miss the tackle to boot of course. I realize they were trying to play a zone style but after getting burned over and over and over with long catches and YAC yards you'd think the coaches would tell the DB's and LB's to start playing more press and man coverage. I thought that was a bad coaching decision (or non decision I guess). And they need to spend this whole extra long week off doing nothing but tackling drills. Have Bobby and KJ teach them how to do it since they seem like the only reliable tacklers we have back there.
  • When it became obvious that the Rams were likely going to be able to try a long field goal I thought it might have been a good idea for the Seahawks to use their timeouts to save some time for themselves if the Rams got the FG. The Rams were in FG range at the Hawks 30 yard line with 1:00 to go. I understand its a bit of a double edged sword because we also wanted to run out the clock if possible, but usually Zeurlein is money on FG's under 50 yards so I just thought we needed to save some clock for ourselves. It worked out in the end, but if he'd made that kick we only had 12 seconds to work with.

t[/QUOTE]

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think there were some other coaching errors last night more egregious than that play. First of all I don't think that play was ever intended to be a pitch back to Lockett. Hadn't considered that possibility but it is a solid observation. If true, I'll be reluctantly less critical of Carroll and Schotty there. But still, Carson (and Lynch) should have gotten the ball there. It just kind of worked out that way when Russell realized he wasn't going to be able to scramble into the endzone. It was dangerous of DangeRuss to try that there, but that's how he plays most of the time so whatever.

• They had a great drive going at the end of the 1st half. Carson running well. 4th and 1 (actually it was only about 11 inches they needed) and you have a choice to go for it or kick a long 48 yard FG. I know this is second guessing with perfect hindsight but I think they clearly should have went for it there. I think there's a high probability that they convert that play. And once Myers missed the kick there was a monumental switch in momentum and the Rams found their passing game. I liked them going for the FG there. But wouldn't have been too disappointed if they tried to pick up the first down.
  • Which brings me to the Rams passing game. Did anyone else notice how far off our defenders were playing the Rams WR's and TE's?? Time and time again they'd catch the ball and the closest Seahawk had to run over 5 yards just to get close to them. And then they'd miss the tackle to boot of course. I realize they were trying to play a zone style but after getting burned over and over and over with long catches and YAC yards you'd think the coaches would tell the DB's and LB's to start playing more press and man coverage. I thought that was a bad coaching decision (or non decision I guess). And they need to spend this whole extra long week off doing nothing but tackling drills. Have Bobby and KJ teach them how to do it since they seem like the only reliable tacklers we have back there. I noticed this too. Their TEs are not pro-bowl TE but they lit up our secondary last night. Ridiculouly easy. Above average QBs, which is all we will see in the playoffs, will exploit our secondary.
  • When it became obvious that the Rams were likely going to be able to try a long field goal I thought it might have been a good idea for the Seahawks to use their timeouts to save some time for themselves if the Rams got the FG. The Rams were in FG range at the Hawks 30 yard line with 1:00 to go. I understand its a bit of a double edged sword because we also wanted to run out the clock if possible, but usually Zeurlein is money on FG's under 50 yards so I just thought we needed to save some clock for ourselves. It worked out in the end, but if he'd made that kick we only had 12 seconds to work with. Again, I was also wondering if they would use timeouts to stop the clock. I honestly think no one on the sideline was paying attention to the clock. You can't get distracted from the big picture in that situation.

t
[/QUOTE]

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think there were some other coaching errors last night more egregious than that play. First of all I don't think that play was ever intended to be a pitch back to Lockett. It just kind of worked out that way when Russell realized he wasn't going to be able to scramble into the endzone. It was dangerous of DangeRuss to try that there, but that's how he plays most of the time so whatever.

• They had a great drive going at the end of the 1st half. Carson running well. 4th and 1 (actually it was only about 11 inches they needed) and you have a choice to go for it or kick a long 48 yard FG. I know this is second guessing with perfect hindsight but I think they clearly should have went for it there. I think there's a high probability that they convert that play. And once Myers missed the kick there was a monumental switch in momentum and the Rams found their passing game.
  • Which brings me to the Rams passing game. Did anyone else notice how far off our defenders were playing the Rams WR's and TE's?? Time and time again they'd catch the ball and the closest Seahawk had to run over 5 yards just to get close to them. And then they'd miss the tackle to boot of course. I realize they were trying to play a zone style but after getting burned over and over and over with long catches and YAC yards you'd think the coaches would tell the DB's and LB's to start playing more press and man coverage. I thought that was a bad coaching decision (or non decision I guess). And they need to spend this whole extra long week off doing nothing but tackling drills. Have Bobby and KJ teach them how to do it since they seem like the only reliable tacklers we have back there.
  • When it became obvious that the Rams were likely going to be able to try a long field goal I thought it might have been a good idea for the Seahawks to use their timeouts to save some time for themselves if the Rams got the FG. The Rams were in FG range at the Hawks 30 yard line with 1:00 to go. I understand its a bit of a double edged sword because we also wanted to run out the clock if possible, but usually Zeurlein is money on FG's under 50 yards so I just thought we needed to save some clock for ourselves. It worked out in the end, but if he'd made that kick we only had 12 seconds to work with.
I was ok with our fg attempt to end the first half. It would have put us up by 3 possessions at half time. Not converting the 4th down would have given the Rams a short field to work with in order to get themselves into fg range (which of course they were able to get a TD after exploiting our D).

Looking back at that game, I just don't see how we managed to pull out a W. They were carving up our defense with ease for the vast majority of the game. A couple key turnovers, and that sick punt coverage that downed the ball on their 2, was JUST enough to hold on.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was ok with our fg attempt to end the first half. It would have put us up by 3 possessions at half time. Not converting the 4th down would have given the Rams a short field to work with in order to get themselves into fg range (which of course they were able to get a TD after exploiting our D).

Looking back at that game, I just don't see how we managed to pull out a W. They were carving up our defense with ease for the vast majority of the game. A couple key turnovers, and that sick punt coverage that downed the ball on their 2, was JUST enough to hold on.

The Hawks did a lot of things right last night, especially on offense, but that secondary is going to lose us some games eventually. When Thompson got that finger-tip, fully laid out, circus interception I looked at my wife and said "wow, he finally made a friggin play instead of getting burned or missing the tackle". So I was pretty thrilled at the turnover but I wasn't about to forgive one of the main culprits in allowing Goff to throw for nearly 400 yards either.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks did a lot of things right last night, especially on offense, but that secondary is going to lose us some games eventually. When Thompson got that finger-tip, fully laid out, circus interception I looked at my wife and said "wow, he finally made a friggin play instead of getting burned or missing the tackle". So I was pretty thrilled at the turnover but I wasn't about to forgive one of the main culprits in allowing Goff to throw for nearly 400 yards either.
yeah there is a lot to love about this team (per usual) but that D is very frustrating right now. We even made Andy Dalton look like a pro bowler in a home game.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play call on the Tyler pitch was fine, the pitch was just the wrong play. That's on Russell. I think he had the option to give it to Carson too. I don't think the play call was an issue there, just defended well and Russ made the wrong play.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play call on the Tyler pitch was fine, the pitch was just the wrong play. That's on Russell. I think he had the option to give it to Carson too. I don't think the play call was an issue there, just defended well and Russ made the wrong play.

yeah i understood the play call, just some times you out think yourself.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the worst Lockett/e play was the one that ended his career.

This is not even close. Ricardo Lockette and his career ending injury was the worst play :(

The Lockett play ( Pitch ) was just a option play that failed and i understand what they were trying to do it just didn't work, Hawks still won the game.

I bet had Ricardo not got hurt he would still be one of the best gunners in the NFL.