• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where's the Thursday night games?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools don't want to play on Thursday night so it's hard to find matchups. Back in the day when not every game was on TV teams were glad to do it in order to get exposure and it was a big deal. Now it's just a pain in the ass for schools, the students and fans.

I don't see the situation improving unless they start throwing bonus dollars at the schools that play on Thursdays.

Let's face it other P5 schools make fun of conference members that have to play on Thursdays.

This is the reason I'm totally over Thursday night games. It was cool to get a primetime game when else you likely wouldn't, but now since basically every game is on some major channel, Thursday games throw off planning for games for the team and are just another home game I can't get to

Good points, but at the same time I think primetime still applies to Thursday night games. Obviously it started off as mid majors using the night to get exposure, but as time went on major conferences got on board and there were some big games played on Thursdays.

With the whole every game is now televised on Saturday's, sure it is, but doesn't mean you are primetime and doesn't mean you get more of an audience. Your game may be on TV Saturday, but its buried on CBS Sports Network while big games are airing on CBS/ABC/ESPN and FOX.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, but at the same time I think primetime still applies to Thursday night games. Obviously it started off as mid majors using the night to get exposure, but as time went on major conferences got on board and there were some big games played on Thursdays.

With the whole every game is now televised on Saturday's, sure it is, but doesn't mean you are primetime and doesn't mean you get more of an audience. Your game may be on TV Saturday, but its buried on CBS Sports Network while big games are airing on CBS/ABC/ESPN and FOX.
The problem isn't ratings or people wanting to watch the games, it's no one worth a crap wants to play them.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a great Thursday night for football

Tulsa Golden Showers vs Temple Bill Cosby in a battle of sure powerhouses

then you can flip over to the NFL for the Cleveland Doo Doo Browns vs New York Jets, battle of superbowl hopefuls.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to love good Thursday night games.

Seemed like WVU, Va Tech, and Georgia Tech were always playing on Thursdays.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't even have a single Thursday game on the schedule this year

it's simply amazing how few there are these days

Now it's the teams like Temple and Tulsa who are playing because we wouldn't watch them otherwise

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday and Friday night CFB games are retarded. Especially for a west coast team. Sweet, we have a game by itself, it still starts at 10 eastern so what is the point?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday and Friday night CFB games are retarded. Especially for a west coast team. Sweet, we have a game by itself, it still starts at 10 eastern so what is the point?

This too, there is very little viewership for a Thursday night game on the West coast so basically had to get rid of it, they can only do Friday night ones.

They were replaying the Oregon/Stanford Thursday night game in 2013 I think earlier, a high ranked Baylor played Oklahoma that night too and I think that's the last big Thursday night we've had

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This too, there is very little viewership for a Thursday night game on the West coast so basically had to get rid of it, they can only do Friday night ones.

They were replaying the Oregon/Stanford Thursday night game in 2013 I think earlier, a high ranked Baylor played Oklahoma that night too and I think that's the last big Thursday night we've had

It's just dumb and our game tomorrow night is the exact opposite of what a real conference does. Southern California is where all the talent is and instead of being able to go HS games and recruit or have them come to the game or watch it on TV just screws a school like Wazzu. Literally got screwed on our one real So Cal trip.

Agreeing to do non Saturday night games is one of the many things that Larry Scott needs to be fired and put in jail for theft as he sold the Pac12 out for 1/4 the money promised and ESPN treating us like we are the MWC (no offense)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just dumb and our game tomorrow night is the exact opposite of what a real conference does. Southern California is where all the talent is and instead of being able to go HS games and recruit or have them come to the game or watch it on TV just screws a school like Wazzu. Literally got screwed on our one real So Cal trip.

Agreeing to do non Saturday night games is one of the many things that Larry Scott needs to be fired and put in jail for theft as he sold the Pac12 out for 1/4 the money promised and ESPN treating us like we are the MWC (no offense)
Well, if half the fucking conference would stop playing like they are currently in the MWC, maybe we'd get somewhere. :tsk:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if half the fucking conference would stop playing like they are currently in the MWC, maybe we'd get somewhere. :tsk:

We are holding up our end. San Diego State is tough for teams like Stanford and ASU. UCLA is tanking, $C should just close their football program down until they can get actual coaches in there again and Sumlin is just a terrible hire if he keeps taking away 3/4 of Tate's game. Tate is essentially Mariota but faster. His passing is only based off of under throwing WR's who are wide ass open because the safeties are concerned about his running ability.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are holding up our end. San Diego State is tough for teams like Stanford and ASU. UCLA is tanking, $C should just close their football program down until they can get actual coaches in there again and Sumlin is just a terrible hire if he keeps taking away 3/4 of Tate's game. Tate is essentially Mariota but faster. His passing is only based off of under throwing WR's who are wide ass open because the safeties are concerned about his running ability.
Don't stop there. Colorado is 3-oh who the fuck cares. The beavs need to fight to be considered MWC level after the last few years. Cal? I'm sure a few mid majors would beat them.

Play like a fucking P5, then complain about the pay. That's all I'm saying.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was mid season when we started getting MAC games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but thought decent Thursday night games started at the beginning of the year. So far this year the bigger games you'd expect to be played on Thursday night are being played on Friday night. TCU/SMU a couple weeks ago, and this week USC/WSU.

Is it because the NFL is trying to schedule more intriguing Thursday night games this year so CFB has decided to give us the Tulsa/Temple's of the world?

Seems USC/WSU would be way better for Thursday night than a Friday night game. In a couple weeks it's another lackluster Thursday night game and GT/Louisville play on Friday night.

I got used to watching some decent matchups Thursday nights and I would take any CFB game over an NFL game.
I was wondering the same thing. There used to be weeks right around now where there'd be a couple Wed. Thurs. and Fri. games in a week. It seems like college is focusing in on Friday.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who it is making the decisions for CFB to stand down to the NFL?

Because if it is about ratings and fan interest, in 2018, I honestly think CFB has a better shot of over throwing the NFL.
tv suits

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who it is making the decisions for CFB to stand down to the NFL?

Because if it is about ratings and fan interest, in 2018, I honestly think CFB has a better shot of over throwing the NFL.
Well considering the NFL players hate playing on Thursday nights maybe it can become college football eventually.

Oh wait, owners don’t give a fuck what players want.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't stop there. Colorado is 3-oh who the fuck cares. The beavs need to fight to be considered MWC level after the last few years. Cal? I'm sure a few mid majors would beat them.

Play like a fucking P5, then complain about the pay. That's all I'm saying.

I think that complaining about the pay is more than warranted even if the teams play like the MWC. Larry Scott promised X amount of money to the schools and we have received 1/4 of that money. Nearly all of those president's are gone now so they don't realize most schools are in the red because of Larry Scott and his women's tennis background.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember several years ago when Louisville played at Florida State on a Thursday night . . and the FSU administration, in thier infinite wisdom, canceled classes on that Thursday, plus the following Friday. Because football is more important than anything else that happens on that campus.

Besides the fact that they made themselves to look like academic jokes, they ended up losing the game.

whoops.

I'm not sad to see Thursday night football go away.

And I'm not even going to bring up the Thursday night game when SJSU played Nevada in the comeback game for Neil Parry, when I screamed myself hoarse, and had to teach the following morning at 7:30.

Football is fun, but academics still matter.