• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where Does the KC-BUF Duel From Last Night Rank Amongst Non-SB's All Time?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the best game I've ever seen. I wouldn't even put "non superbowl" in the question. The regular playoff games tend to be more exciting than the super bowl anyway, with both teams desperate to keep their season alive and no hour long half time.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how the Bills feel. They had the #1 pass defense and couldn't do dick to stop Mahomes when it mattered.
I think that is like the Patriots #2 defense that got steamrolled by the Bills in the WC round. The defensive rankings in general don't amount to shit. The Bills wins were all blow-outs. And mostly they faced below average QB play. Even when they beat the Chiefs early in the season, Mahomes wasn't really playing like we saw last night.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a devil's advocate, horrible defense does not make for great game. More entertaining than a 0-0 but with defensive backs falling down, and receivers running free not great. In the last minute most NFL QBs can hit receivers standing alone in the endzone and hitting receivers with no defender within 5 yards.
Both QBs are in the top 5, but both defensive units kept trying to lose the game until the Bills defense succeeded.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a devil's advocate, horrible defense does not make for great game. More entertaining than a 0-0 but with defensive backs falling down, and receivers running free not great. In the last minute most NFL QBs can hit receivers standing alone in the endzone and hitting receivers with no defender within 5 yards.
Both QBs are in the top 5, but both defensive units kept trying to lose the game until the Bills defense succeeded.

I don't think that was horrible defense. That was just the two best QBs in the league at the peak of their physical powers going shot for shot in the playoffs. There was just flat out great throws and great runs by both QBs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I can tell, some of it really wasn't elite level QB play except for keeping plays alive or simply being able to make big throws but you break them all down individually and its hard to come to the conclusion that its great defense *but* you also have a lot of receivers making plays.

Gabriel Davis in general is interesting in the number of different ways he made Chiefs players look bad. He had the move downfield where he broke Mike Hughes ankles completely. Easy throw obviously because Davis completely shook his CB. I think he had two plays against Snead where he just used his wingspan to create space and had almost instant separation. I think we should give Davis credit on these three plays.

There was one TD play where the Chiefs DBs ran into each other. That was awful defense but the offense was doing the whole 'pick play' thing. It just usually doesn't work that well. Then there was the play where Davis beat Thornhill over the top. That really shouldn't happen. First, it defies logic a bit because Thornhill has a faster timed .40 than Davis and in general Thornhill is supposed to be a top shelf athlete. So he got beat from the neckup by multiple steps. If that was Honey Badger there you at least think that maybe that play is more contested.

So of the 5 Gabriel Davis big plays, I'd chalk 3 of them up to Davis making plays and 2 to the Chiefs being bad. I'm sure you can probably break most of the game down that way although on the Bills side its probably more 'why are the Bills in that coverage' and not 'why did that Bills defender screw up'

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as #1... but I kind of like the Tuck Rule Game. Simply because of the absurd amount of snow (love weather games) and the historical imprint it made on the game. If they lose that game. Who knows what happens with the Pats, Brady/Bledsoe, etc. Also, the controversy surrounding that call led to a rule change as well. Also, high drama, great comeback, and perhaps the best kick I've ever seen in my life by Vinateri to force OT. 45 yards INTO the wind of a snowstorm. It also allowed one of the biggest SB upsets ever to occur.

Outside of being a great game in some thick snow. Perhaps, there's not another game in NFL history that you can look back on in hindsight and go "Man, that changed everything". NFL history could look very different, if not for one moment, one comeback, and one sweep of an unknown kickers leg.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Top this year though. Bumped the other to 5

5) Vegas/Chargers
4) Chiefs/Bills
3) Seahawks/Packers 2013 NFC Championship
2) Saints/49ers 2011 Divisional
1) Seahawks/49ers 2012 NFC Championship

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t put a game with that bad of coverage in my top 5. Gabe Davis should not be that wide open…

Or a game where both QBs lead their team in rushing.

It was fun though. Wish Ariel Young could’ve been there.

Here is the thing.

There were a few blown coverage late that allowed the TDs.

But, before that the defense was actually pretty darn good.

Both QBs were routinely making plays out of nothing throughout the game.

Then it really opened up at the end when the offenses were desperate and the defenses were tired and playing too conservative.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is like the Patriots #2 defense that got steamrolled by the Bills in the WC round. The defensive rankings in general don't amount to shit. The Bills wins were all blow-outs. And mostly they faced below average QB play. Even when they beat the Chiefs early in the season, Mahomes wasn't really playing like we saw last night.
So to summarize, the Bills may have had the #1 pass defense in the regular season but against Mahomes in the playoffs they looked like number two.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly shows both defenses suck and can be easily beaten...... (Can be said for every NFL Team)

but holy crap what a game!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's at the top for head coaching stupidity.

McDermott can't drive standard. It requires pushing the clutch with the left foot and changing gears with the right hand. McDermott is incapable of change during the game. Most HC's would have squib kicked or pooch kicked the kickoff and not kicked it out ofthe end zone.

He also refised to take his defense out of a Cover 2 and alter coverage. Even the cats in the back yard knew Mahmes would go to Hill and then to Kelce. Any idiot would have been right on top of Kelce at the line of scrimmageand doubled upon hum once he started uo field. Not McDermott.

As far as the game goes, near the top. Couldn't ask for a better ending. Gotta give KC credit. Only home team to win this past weekend and barely did it.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that was horrible defense. That was just the two best QBs in the league at the peak of their physical powers going shot for shot in the playoffs. There was just flat out great throws and great runs by both QBs.
Not saying they are not part of the highest level QBs, but any QB in the NFL could have hit that last Buffalo receiver when the defender fell, and the Chief receivers were basically running free in the last two positions especially with 13 seconds left and in the overtime.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where the KC vs Buff game ranks but it was the greatest divisional round slate of games ever. Has anything ever been close? The least exciting finish was probably a 52 yard FG to beat a #1 seed on the road with time running out after a last minute interception.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to summarize, the Bills may have had the #1 pass defense in the regular season but against Mahomes in the playoffs they looked like number two.
I suppose we could look at it that way but like I said, the rankings don't mean shit. Like most football stats, it's just a nice tool for fantasy players. Nothing wrong with that. But stats in football really don't mean much. It's too much of a total team game imo. There's some individual accomplishments out there but it's not like the NBA or MLB where the one guy can be everything, Even Mahomes for as talented and good that he is, needs good Oline play, Hill and Kelce, etc getting open, good schemes and enough of a running game to keep the defense somewhat honest. Last years SB a perfect example of that. Oline was manhandled and even Mahomes couldn't save the Chiefs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where the KC vs Buff game ranks but it was the greatest divisional round slate of games ever. Has anything ever been close? The least exciting finish was probably a 52 yard FG to beat a #1 seed on the road with time running out after a last minute interception.
Yeah, id be shocked if we had many playoff weekends with 4 great games anywhere else. Usually the great game ratio is closer to 50%.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of my Seahawk brethren mentioning the 14 NFCCG with Green Bay. At the risk of scorn and vitriol from y'all, it may have had a wild finish but it was a sloppy and ugly game for most of it. The 13 CG was good but, Colin fucking Kaepernick? Really, nothing more needs to be said. As a Seahawk fan, yes, loved the outcome but from a pure football perspective, kinda meh. This one had 2 great QBs exchanging haymakers and making big plays from start to finish.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who was there live, yeah, I'd tend to agree. Average QB's were taking sacks in a lot of those situations touchdowns and first downs were had. Point on the cover busts if you want, fine, but the defenses were better than people want to say, imo.