• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When snapping clubs stops being cute.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final event of the Web.com Tour regular season is stressful enough without a bizarre and unlikely incident that went down in the second round.

There were rumblings on social media Friday evening that Kevin Stadler had an unfortunate accident at the WinCo Foods Portland Open involving a golf club and a fan.

Shaun Micheel went into further detail on Facebook. The 2003 PGA Champion didn’t name the player involved – although his referencing a “playing partner” narrowed the options down to Stadler and Jonathan Hodge simply by looking at a tee sheet – but went into descriptive detail on what occurred:

To recap Micheel’s story: A playing partner slammed his 7-iron against the ground after a poor tee shot, breaking the club near the bottom. That broken clubhead then, terrifyingly, rocketed into the crowd and hit a spectator in the head. It was all an incredibly unfortunate accident that had the player shaken.

That is a terrible misfortune on all sides.

ESPN’s Bob Harig followed up Saturday, confirming that Stadler was indeed the player in question. Harig also quoted a Web.com Tour rules official saying Stadler was “devastated” and “had trouble trying to finish the round.”

Per Harig, the spectator was taken to a local hospital, received six stitches and was released.

Stadler, the son of 1982 Masters champion Craig Stadler, remarkably followed that harrowing incident at the 15th with birdies at 16 and 17 but ended up missing the cut by a shot. The 38-year-old had largely been missing from golf in recent years as a nagging hand injury kept him out of competition for years.

He hasn’t played in a PGA Tour event since 2015 and made a return in a Web.com Tour event last year only to withdraw after the first round due to pain.

It’s been a more successful run in 2018, as he had gone T22-T64 in two Web.com Tour starts prior to this week.

Stadler is on a major medical extension, meaning whenever he returns to PGA Tour competition (these Web.com Tour showings were likely rehab starts) he will have 26 starts on that medical. He will need to gather at least 454.42 FedEx Cup points or $717,890 in those events to retain his card.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find.

Idk what happened to Kevin Stadler...just thought he lost his card or something.

Hitting a poor short at a bad time can definitely get your blood pressure boiling, but breaking, snapping a club is rarely ever a good thing for blowing off steam.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting a poor short at a bad time can definitely get your blood pressure boiling, but breaking, snapping a club is rarely ever a good thing for blowing off steam.

Pretty dumb to take out one of your most useful clubs when you're performing poorly, too

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is always the club's fault

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was it cute to begin with?

It's amazing how quickly that happened and very fortunate for it not being tragic!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was it cute to begin with?

It's amazing how quickly that happened and very fortunate for it not being tragic!

IDK if it was ever "cute", but there was a time when we just laughed off dumb shit like that....I remember when my buddy snapped a LW across the fender of a golf cart...the clubhead end snapped off and went flying into the lake...not really close to hitting me, but it just came out of nowhere. Scared the shit out of me...I was anything but laughing about that one.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find.

Idk what happened to Kevin Stadler...just thought he lost his card or something.

Guy I played in league last week threw his clubs on about half the holes.

Really puts a damper on the enjoyment of the round. Hey, we ALL get frustrated with this game, but making a public display is just embarrassing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy I played in league last week threw his clubs on about half the holes.

Really puts a damper on the enjoyment of the round. Hey, we ALL get frustrated with this game, but making a public display is just embarrassing.

I literally had to take a break from playing with my best golf buddy...just far too demonstrative and self inflicting...the last straw was he took a healthy divot out of the green. He was angry over missing a short putt and took a big swipe with his putter and got too close to the putting surface.

I've never been so embarrassed on a golf course....he tried to patch the green up the best he could, but totally ruined the rounds behind us because that divot was pretty close to the hole.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I literally had to take a break from playing with my best golf buddy...just far too demonstrative and self inflicting...the last straw was he took a healthy divot out of the green. He was angry over missing a short putt and took a big swipe with his putter and got too close to the putting surface.

I've never been so embarrassed on a golf course....he tried to patch the green up the best he could, but totally ruined the rounds behind us because that divot was pretty close to the hole.
Inexcusable.

Hope he learns from that and stops the behavior.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inexcusable.

Hope he learns from that and stops the behavior.

It was inexcusable and he really felt bad afterwards, but it was too late...I told him, you need to get a serious grip before we play again...the hiatus was about 6-8 mos....he was much much better the next time we played. He'd done a lot of childish stuff on the course before, but I think taking the divot out of the green shook him up a bit.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My irons are worth $120 a piece........It has never occurred to me, to hurt my clubs.