• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What was the point of the practice squads...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... if the league was going to consider cancelling after one team having an outbreak and another getting popped with a few positives?

They had to know there were going to be some positive tests throughout the season. Anyone with a couple of brain cells could have predicted this wouldn't be totally smooth sailing. Isn't this why each organization practically has an entire 2nd team waiting in the wings?

I mean, why even start up and create the practice squads if the Marlins/Cards situations were going to threaten the entire thing? Wasn't that the whole point? That they were prepared for teams to lose guys here and there?

I totally realize you have to isolate the COVID positive players and take every precaution possible. I suppose, I just don't get why they ever attempted a season. If your plan was to abandon ship at the first sign of trouble. Why board the ship? There were always going to be some road blocks thrown up along the way.

You have healthy players on practice squads. The whole point was that they would be here for something like this. You figure out who is positive, who is clear, and then you continue filling in with them as needed. If you were never planning on doing that and were just going to quit at the first sign of trouble. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ALL THIS?

Big Lonnie

Yeah, I’m THAT guy.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is....

FUCK the Marlins

&

FUCK the Cardinals

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The simple answer would be Manfred is a fucking idiot.

This is a guy who after the Marlins outbreak said "we expected this to happen, everything is fine and going according to plan"

TWO cards test positive and he threatens to cancel the season.

Guy is a fucking dolt

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is....

FUCK the Marlins

&

FUCK the Cardinals
You would think these ball players would be more responsible instead of engaging in risky behavior.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think these ball players would be more responsible instead of engaging in risky behavior.

100%

Like, I get it. I'm 28. If I had millions, I would love to throw it around at the club, meet impossibly hot girls, etc.

But... it's TWO FRIGGIN MONTHS! Just chill out in the hotel room, order delivery from a safe spot, and watch a movie. I don't think that's asking much. You're being paid millions to just not contract this virus.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they must have done something wrong otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the virus. People who do the right things will never ever get this virus.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they must have done something wrong otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the virus. People who do the right things will never ever get this virus.

I got it because my sister is a doctor and she got it. But yeah... just follow the protocol.

I was asymptomatic, FWIW.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got it because my sister is a doctor and she got it. But yeah... just follow the protocol.

I was asymptomatic, FWIW.

If you had been safe around your sister you wouldn't have gotten it. You obviously fucked up.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't players on the Marlins out clubbing?

I mean, I saw that stated by Nightengale with nothing to back it up. Is there something to back it up now?

In addition I would wonder, did everyone involved with the Marlins who tested positive "go out clubbing"? I suspect that the answer to that is a "no" but I obviously don't know.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, just the Nightengale report:

Marlins Players Were Reportedly Out Partying In Atlanta Before Coronavirus Outbreak Spread Within Team

But the organization is being very quiet, which seems like the behavior of a guilty club.

A report with no evidence doesn't seem like it should even be called a report.

The silence also seems like it could be the behaviour of a club that knows that they can't win no matter what they say publicly about this. Is there more reason to think that your interpretation is the correct one? Or are they both just bullshit guesses? I'm inclined to think the latter right now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I saw that stated by Nightengale with nothing to back it up. Is there something to back it up now?

In addition I would wonder, did everyone involved with the Marlins who tested positive "go out clubbing"? I suspect that the answer to that is a "no" but I obviously don't know.
All it takes is one person to infect the other players.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A report with no evidence doesn't seem like it should even be called a report.

The silence also seems like it could be the behaviour of a club that knows that they can't win no matter what they say publicly about this. Is there more reason to think that your interpretation is the correct one? Or are they both just bullshit guesses? I'm inclined to think the latter right now.
Nah, I've noticed it for awhile from this club. Jose Fernandez got drunk off his ass and was high as a kite when he crashed a boat. The toxicology stuff was suppressed and everyone in the front office was very quiet about it, while the families of the other dead guys sued Fernandez's estate. Instead, the club focused solely on what a "tragedy" it was that Fernandez died.

If Nightengale is wrong and they weren't out clubbing, then it seems pretty easy to refute the thing. Instead they're being very quiet. We know that it likely happened in Atlanta:

Marlins’ virus outbreak — after Atlanta stop — forces postponements
Report: Marlins players likely contracted coronavirus in Atlanta

And the MLB internal investigation said players in Atlanta had gone out, and that they were congregating in the hotel bar:

MLB investigation says Marlins players went out, visited bars before coronavirus outbreak

Of course, it's Manfred, so who knows how reliable it is. Though it is more than Nightengale.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is one person to infect the other players.

Yep. But that's kinda my point, in the situation you describe why would you tar the "other players" with the same brush as the guy who was "out clubbing"?