• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What type of fishing do you do?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mainly largemouth bass, but if they ain't biting then it's bream, sac-a-lait, catfish etc...

Live less than an hour away from the 'Spillway' as the Atchafalaya Basin is known here so that's my favorite spot.

Will head further south into brackish waters and even into the gulf if water conditions are just right but my bass boat rides way to low to deal with overly choppy water.

What kind of boat you got?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years ago I had all open face spinning reels, even the ultra lights. Mostly bass fishing and when I'd go to the mountains I use the ultra lights for trout. People thought I was nuts but I caught more with my spinners than they did with their fly rigs. :D

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years ago I had all open face spinning reels, even the ultra lights. Mostly bass fishing and when I'd go to the mountains I use the ultra lights for trout. People thought I was nuts but I caught more with my spinners than they did with their fly rigs. :D

I've got a similar ultra-light rig I use for bream and sac-a-lait. It's got 6lb test so there is no horsing in a fish. Hook up with a hand-sized bream and it's just as fun as latching on to a bass imo.

Obvious downside of course is it doesn't take too big a fish to simply snap the line.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah once in Idaho while fishing the Snake River I was using my ultra light and a small mouth bass hit the lure and just about took the whole spool of line off the reel as I had the drag set light. Took me almost 30 minutes to coax him in against the current. It only went about 2 pounds though but it was the most fun I had that whole trip.

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMN!! That's a lot of juice for an 18'. Do you fish tourneys?

Very few. It's more of a hobby. These Cajuns down here are absolute fanatics about their bass fishing.

I grew up in Louisiana, but just fairly recently moved back after spending 20+ years in North Florida.

The plan is to eventually catch up with these 'experts' by doing as much fishing as possible though.:suds:

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah once in Idaho while fishing the Snake River I was using my ultra light and a small mouth bass hit the lure and just about took the whole spool of line off the reel as I had the drag set light. Took me almost 30 minutes to coax him in against the current. It only went about 2 pounds though but it was the most fun I had that whole trip.

That's the best part of fishing to me...an equal fight between the gear and the fish on.

I enjoy watching bass tournament footage sometimes, but it's just so competitive they just horse in every fish using heavy line to the point where all the fun is almost lost.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fishing in fast moving water like where we were at on the Snake River was a lot different from fishing the lakes and ponds of Oklahoma. It's whole different game trying to fight the fish and the current. The fish can use the current to their advantage.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the best part of fishing to me...an equal fight between the gear and the fish on.

I enjoy watching bass tournament footage sometimes, but it's just so competitive they just horse in every fish using heavy line to the point where all the fun is almost lost.

true. The only time I use braid is if I'm fishing really heavy cover. Otherwise, I love my spinning reels. It's so much more fun to play the fish. And like Sooner was saying, I love my ultra light gear for crappie fishing and every once in a while an ol bucket mouth will come along and give me the fight of a lifetime on 6lb test and 4.5 - 5 ft rods. Lots of fun. I caught a couple 15-20 lb bonnetheads a couple weeks ago on my 6 foot spinning reels with 12 lb test. Man that was fun. I would get him next to the boat and think he was done and then when he would see the net, he'd make a run and peel off 30 or 40 yds of line and I'd work him back a little at the time. Yep, lots of fun with spinning gear.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fishing in fast moving water like where we were at on the Snake River was a lot different from fishing the lakes and ponds of Oklahoma. It's whole different game trying to fight the fish and the current. The fish can use the current to their advantage.

So much this.

I am a river whore.

Floated the Snake 100's of times.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mainly just bass fishing, but I like going for carp, gar, and catfish as well. Fishing for small brim is fun too, because they're so damn easy to catch.

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mainly just bass fishing, but I like going for carp, gar, and catfish as well. Fishing for small brim is fun too, because they're so damn easy to catch.

Carp have become dangerous down here. Boat wakes set these trash fish off so they go crazy and jump so any boat following another is liable to have one of these things land in your face. They are a shoot on sight fish down here and most all of us have guns on board. Not to mention they're barely edible and require way too much effort.

Gar consume like 6 times their body weight in sport fish daily. Almost impossible to catch, they are also on the shoot on sight list. But at least they aren't a threat to land in your face like carp.

Panthera tigris Bob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for catfish, saw a pretty neat method just today I will use forever.

No matter how big, hang that fucker up and slit him near the tail allowing all the blood to run out.

The filet's will come out looking white like you see sold in stores.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for catfish, saw a pretty neat method just today I will use forever.

No matter how big, hang that fucker up and slit him near the tail allowing all the blood to run out.

The filet's will come out looking white like you see sold in stores.

It works. Tried and true. I've been doing it that way for about 15 years. It's the only way to clean 'em.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DSCN1555.jpg

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going on a two day floating/camping trip, next week. Pack all our shit on the raft, float all day, camp, get up and do the rest...camp again.

Got the Dutch Oven seasoned, shit-ton of meat, booze and smoke....good times, folks.