• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to expect for the 2013 Vandals

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so I see they have their usual revenue games where they take a pay check to be mauled but any idea how the Vandals are projected this year? Hard to follow the Vandals since I moved.

For the record I still wish they'd move back to the Big Sky playing Montana and E. Washington are just better fits than moving to the Sun Belt.

ratenstein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess they're going back to the Big Sky for Basketball or something.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are moving back to the Big Sky for all sports except football, which will play in the Sun Belt starting next year. I have to disagree with you on the move back to the Big Sky for football. Sure the regional rivalries are there, but the money is much better in FBS. That, and the Big Sky isn't what it used to be. Some fans will get excited for the Montana and Eastern games but I doubt too many care to see the Vandals playing Southern Utah and UC Davis. Financially, FBS makes the most sense.

As far as expectations for this year, they really aren't too high. Petrino looks like he has the program at least going in the right direction but they're probably looking at 1-2 wins this year. The offensive and defensive lines have improved from last year, but every other position is seeing a lot of turnover. The new QB is likely going to be a redshirt Freshman with the starting RB being a JC transfer. Additionally one of the top WRs left the team a few months ago. Defensively all three starting LBs and three quarters of the secondary graduated last year meaning there are going to be a lot of new starters. This is a real rebuilding year but I can't count how many times I've heard that the last decade. It should be interesting to see how things play out over the next few years and who knows, maybe they surprise people and scrap out 5 wins or something.