• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the pros think about superstars ring chasing

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this article is fair. Evaluating 'legacies' is subjective, and it's fair to value MJ's rings above KD's and even LeBron's. But then rings are maybe no longer useful for evaluating who's best. Which is also subjective.

Oh, You Won Your Ring On A Superteam? Big Deal

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ's rings are not more valuable than LeBron's. He just has more. MJ was on a super team that formed organically.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s your opinion, and it’s shit.

LOL.

This conversation has been had a million times.

But, there is simply no legit case to be made that any 1 of MJ's rings is more valuable than any 1 of LeBron's. That is all I am saying here.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

But, there is simply no legit case to be made that any 1 of MJ's rings is more valuable than any 1 of LeBron's. That is all I am saying here.
That’s your opinion, and it’s shit.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ's rings are not more valuable than LeBron's. He just has more. MJ was on a super team that formed organically.

Uh......I completely disagree with this.

In no way did MJ have a super team. He had one consistent all-star teammate in Pippen and for the latter half of the dynasty, had Rodman who was more of an elite defender and rebounder. It was just a really well balanced team.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

I really don't like overvaluing rings over another's players. In MJ's days, the East was the more dominant conference. In Lebron's time, the East was the weaker of the two. This is why it's short-sighted to simply just look at Finals opponents. Because in that respect, of course Lebron's Finals opponents were more difficult.

But the whole total ring argument is valid so long as context is considered. Lebron always (until last season) had a talented team on his end for the last 8 years (minus last season). MJ's 6 rings still trumps Lebron's 3.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh......I completely disagree with this.

In no way did MJ have a super team. He had one consistent all-star teammate in Pippen and for the latter half of the dynasty, had Rodman who was more of an elite defender and rebounder. It was just a really well balanced team.

Well, maybe it doesn't fit the current definition of a super team, but for the 90s it sure was.

Pippen at his peak was a legit MVP candidate on his own, and a top 5 player. In that era the stars were spread throughout the league. Not like it is today.

I am not arguing any of the points you made because every one of them is true. But fact is, the best team usually wins in the NBA playoffs, and the Bulls were the best team in the NBA for every one of their titles.

LeBron has been on the "best team" before and failed, but the Warriors have been better than the Cavs each of the last 4 years.

That is why ring count is horribly overrated as a metric of individual greatness.

If you want to say MJ is greater than LeBron because he has more rings, that is fine. I do still have MJ above LeBron, but that isn't the reason. That is all I am saying.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the most valuable ring of all time is the one LeBron got in Cleveland.

-It ended Cleveland's streak of 50+ years without a championship. That burden has pulled down many a fine team in the past and he broke through.

-It involved the Greatest Comeback in the History of the NBA

-It came against the team that won the MOST games in the HISTORY of the NBA

-He did it for his hometown fans

All of those circumstances combined to make the 2016 the most special unique title of any in the history of the league.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-It ended Cleveland's streak of 50+ years without a championship. That burden has pulled down many a fine team in the past and he broke through.

All of those circumstances combined to make the 2016 the most special unique title of any in the history of the league.

Hate to tell you this, but it's still one ring. It's no more valuable than any of his titles in Miami. They're all equal.

For resume, sure, it solidified his legacy. But when comparing all resumes against other all-time players, that ring doesn't go above any other player's.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to tell you this, but it's still one ring. It's no more valuable than any of his titles in Miami. They're all equal.

For resume, sure, it solidified his legacy. But when comparing all resumes against other all-time players, that ring doesn't go above any other player's.
nope. could not be more wrong. I am sorry. Will never agree.

We will have to "agree to disagree" on this one.

Just like I think Wade's championship with Miami, in what? 2005? is much more valuable than the one the GSW just won

just like i KNOW for a fact that Dirk's championship for the Mavs was much more valuable than say, the 9th one the Celtics won in a 15 team league playing against a talent pool that is massively inferior to today's talent pool.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being completely neutral...........that's pure BS.

Dirk in Dallas. Dirk and a bunch of role players.

No super team in Dallas.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did Dallas beat the best regular season team of all time?

did Dallas complete the Biggest Comeback in the History of the NBA?

did Dallas end a half century worth of frustration and losing for the city?

was Dallas lead by a hometown hero that was born less than an hour away from the stadium?

was the game decided in the last minute of Game 7 by one of the clutchest shots, if not THE clutchest shot in the history of the league?

of course we know the answers to those questions. Great title though- Dirk gutting it out- sticking around and winning for that franchise. Its up there- its just not CLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVELAND THIS IS FOR YOU was.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did Dallas beat the best regular season team of all time?

did Dallas complete the Biggest Comeback in the History of the NBA?

did Dallas end a half century worth of frustration and losing for the city?

was Dallas lead by a hometown hero that was born less than an hour away from the stadium?

was the game decided in the last minute of Game 7 by one of the clutchest shots, if not THE clutchest shot in the history of the league?

of course we know the answers to those questions. Great title though- Dirk gutting it out- sticking around and winning for that franchise. Its up there- its just not CLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVELAND THIS IS FOR YOU was.

You're trying to get the homer of the year award.