• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What should be done about Earl Thomas?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There probably is already a thread regarding this specific topic, but I didn't see it on the first page.

I think this is a very pertinent topic for the Seahawks right now. I see it like this, the Seahawks have 3 options.

Option 1: Trade him before the draft. The Seahawks desperately need draft picks, and this could be a prudent move as Earl Thomas is going to be 29 in the 2018 season. From what I've heard is that the Seahawks are asking for a first round pick at minimum, which I think is fair.

Option 2: Give him a contract extension. Now this option is a bit more complicated. Given his age, the contract may substantially overpay him when he starts to go into decline. It's difficult to determine what Earl's longevity is given that he relies substantially on his athleticism. The best comparison I can make is Ed Reed. This is clearly a very lofty comparison, but both players have extremely similar skill sets. Reed managed to continue playing at a high level until 34. That is obviously a very high threshold to match, but if the Seahawks are confident that Thomas can continue playing at a high level for at least 3 more years, a front loaded contract extension could be prudent. Also worth noting with the Reed comparison that Reed didn't start playing in the NFL until 24, whereas Earl started at 21.

Option 3: Do nothing, let him play in 2018 and hope to re-sign him in the offseason. This is the riskiest and least desirable option IMO. If the Seahawks don't plan on re-signing him now, I don't think it'll be any easier in the 2019 offseason. If we do this, we essentially piss away a 2018 1st or 2nd round draft pick if Earl doesn't re-sign.

I'm personally somewhat split between option 1 and option 2. It's also worth noting that we will soon have to deal with the contracts of Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark who both are substantially younger and pose a much lower risk to re-sign. Not to mention the fact that Russell Wilson is going to likely receive a monster contract extension from the Seahawks at some point. All that being considered, there's a possibility that trading Earl now might be the best option. I'd put the over/under on him performing at a Pro-Bowl level at 3 years and he'll likely be looking at a 5 year contract extension or so.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle isn't getting a first for Thomas. The safety market has been extremely slow this year and given his contract/remaining years + injury/age, he's not worth it.

Seattle traded a future 2nd (not current year) for an above average (at the time) DT who was 3 years younger than Thomas, playing on the same 1 year deal for CHEAPER and IMO a position of far more value. There's zero chance Seattle gets a 1st rounder for Earl Thomas. Despite his elite play when healthy, he'll be 30, the future years are not guaranteed if he goes FA, and he's had a major injury.

I think Seattle realistically needs to ask for a 3rd (and 5th+ extra sweetener picks) or 2019 2nd (Richardson) at BEST.

Point being, IMO option 1 is off the table if Seattle is not willing to budge on a 1st.. nobody is paying that.
Option 2 is probably the most advantageous assuming you cut Chancellor this year or next because safeties generally have a longer shelf life in the NFL and Kam's highly physical play is tearing him down.

Agreed Option 3 is least desirable.

Last edited:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extend him.
I believe he will have a minimum of 3 solid years left.
I also think we will need him going forward especially since Sherm isn't locking down half the field.
We will be in better cap shape next year and my guess is a contract could be structured to provide a little cap room this year.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but I think the Hawks should trade Thomas for the picks. This is a good class for safeties I am told. It would shed some salary as well. I just think now that you lost some of those players from the great defense you had, maybe it's time to move on? The Cowboys would probably give up some picks for sure, probably not a 1st although I wish they would. This is an interesting thing here. Good luck guys!:suds:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my dream world... a second and a third. I don't see that happening though...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him a contract extension. He still can play at a high level and we need a veteran in the backfield to mentor the young guys they bring in.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him and let him retire a Seahawk, right now our D is a helluva lot better with him...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what the best option is depends on a lot of things. What's the status of Kam? How serious do they think Earl is on his passing threat to hold out? How much do they like Tedric Thompson, as he ready to start at FS? If Kam is done and Thompson isn't ready, can they put McDougald at FS and is Delano Hill ready to start at SS? I doubt we will be able to have much of that info before the team has to decide, but hopefully they will.

I guess the way I look at it is: if the team is in a bit of a transitional period right now on defense and more specifically in the secondary, then they should go all the way with the turnover. Trade ET for as much as you can get for him in order to stockpile picks, get younger & cheaper on D, and reboot this thing as quickly as possible. The more you do now, the sooner it will be until you can contend again. Piecemeal it, and I just think you extend the transition period.

In the off chance that Kam can still play, I can see a short extension of 2 years to run him out thru 2020. Earl easily has at least a couple really high level seasons left, and having the back end of the D stabilized for a couple more years would give those younger players up front a chance to develop into the next good core unit. The risk here is you don't get to have the heirs to the throne on the field and developing, and it's also a really expensive option as compared to Tedric Thompson & Bradley McDougald.

If he plays this year with no extension and walks after, we are probably looking at a 3rd round comp in 2020. While not ideal, it's still a lot more than nothing. And in the mean time, we'll get to benefit from the best FS in the game.

Any of the above is a win for me. We either get to have the best FS of this era on the team for another 1-3 years, or some decent compensation is in hand to help re-stock the defense.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would keep the guy, and try to front load the contract with more of the guaranteed money in the first three years so if his play does fall off they could move on more easily.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opition 2 or 3.

I was talking with a buddy at work a couple of weeks ago and i said " we should keep Thomas or Sherman. Just one though."

I understand that this is becoming a distraction and a Headache. I know that we need to resign Manstar(clark) and Bubba. I know we are trying to resign MagicRuss( tradmarking that name). I get that

But Dear god. Earl still has it AT AN ELITE LEVEL . He was our best DB( or one of) last year IMHO. Ge would be a great a superb mentor for the young kids coming in.

In closing. He says he wants to stay and have the jeresy retired. Give it to him.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut him at the end of camp.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There probably is already a thread regarding this specific topic, but I didn't see it on the first page.

I think this is a very pertinent topic for the Seahawks right now. I see it like this, the Seahawks have 3 options.

Option 1: Trade him before the draft. The Seahawks desperately need draft picks, and this could be a prudent move as Earl Thomas is going to be 29 in the 2018 season. From what I've heard is that the Seahawks are asking for a first round pick at minimum, which I think is fair.

Option 2: Give him a contract extension. Now this option is a bit more complicated. Given his age, the contract may substantially overpay him when he starts to go into decline. It's difficult to determine what Earl's longevity is given that he relies substantially on his athleticism. The best comparison I can make is Ed Reed. This is clearly a very lofty comparison, but both players have extremely similar skill sets. Reed managed to continue playing at a high level until 34. That is obviously a very high threshold to match, but if the Seahawks are confident that Thomas can continue playing at a high level for at least 3 more years, a front loaded contract extension could be prudent. Also worth noting with the Reed comparison that Reed didn't start playing in the NFL until 24, whereas Earl started at 21.

Option 3: Do nothing, let him play in 2018 and hope to re-sign him in the offseason. This is the riskiest and least desirable option IMO. If the Seahawks don't plan on re-signing him now, I don't think it'll be any easier in the 2019 offseason. If we do this, we essentially piss away a 2018 1st or 2nd round draft pick if Earl doesn't re-sign.

I'm personally somewhat split between option 1 and option 2. It's also worth noting that we will soon have to deal with the contracts of Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark who both are substantially younger and pose a much lower risk to re-sign. Not to mention the fact that Russell Wilson is going to likely receive a monster contract extension from the Seahawks at some point. All that being considered, there's a possibility that trading Earl now might be the best option. I'd put the over/under on him performing at a Pro-Bowl level at 3 years and he'll likely be looking at a 5 year contract extension or so.
Option #1.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut him at the end of camp.
Might have to cut him if the Hawks can't get anything for him, as he threaten to sit out the 2018 season. The Hawks will be lucky to get a 2nd or 3rd pick for him.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the trade offer is only a 3rd, keep him and let him walk after the year.

if its a 2nd, might have to take it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may ultimately choose to sign somewhere else after this season, but he doesn't sound eager to leave just yet (the post-game situation in Dallas not withstanding). The best-case scenario is a contract extension, of course. If that isn't possible close to the trading deadline, then the next best option is trading him for the best possible deal. It's a risk to do that because of the possibility of injury, but it's also the best chance of getting something out of it other than cap space if an extension can't be worked out. If you cut him, regardless of when, you get nothing and considering how important he's been to this franchise since he started here, you should try really hard to get something for him if you can't keep him. Besides, if you cut him before the season starts, you significantly decrease the quality of your secondary regardless of who his replacement is. Sherman was already let go for nothing but cap space and Chancellor may not be able to play again. I'd rather have something to show for the loss of the LOB beyond cap space if we can't keep the players themselves.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's worth a first if a team figures he can put them over the top and potentially win them a Superbowl. Someone like Atlanta might think Thomas could be the difference.

For teams with more needs? Of course they're going to be reluctant to give up a 1st.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see us land a 1st rounder minimum in a trade, but if we can get that then we need to find a way to extend him. I haven't seen exact details on his expectations of both years and dollars, but considering how many top dollar contracts we've had on defense over the years he is the one that's actually worth it at his age IMO. We have shed a few of those other contracts on defense so I would love to see him be the one to stay and finish out his career as a Seahawk. He and Bobby would be a great 1-2 punch and faces of our new generation on D.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking at this from a different angle, I think we will lose him. If that is the case, best to get something for him.
Earl has referenced the Eric Berry contract. 6/78, $40 guarantee. I'd love him for a 3 or 4 year deal but that might not work. After getting bit on Kams deal, JS might be a little gun shy.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl is a gym rat and keeps himself in good shape. I can think of only one year he seemed a little "thick" in training camp and that was many years ago. He will be one of these players that will be playing still at 35 at a higher level than most FS. One thing he should do is stop trying to turn into a thumper and lose a little of that muscle mass he put on over his years which caused him to be a little stiff and hurt his sideline to sideline coverage ( didn't hurt it to much but you can tell he is thicker and stiffer now )

He should be resigned now OR traded and they need to do one or the other This year. Trying to sign him halfway through this coming season would be foolish because that would mean he is having a outstanding season and his number/money will only rise. Sign him and then if they want to move on then trade him for what he is worth and yes that is a late 1st early second at his age and performance level. He is still looked at as one of if not THE best FS in the game. Numbers for the Seahawks Defense prove this also. Just look at the many places that have the Hawks Defensive numbers with and WITHOUT Earl. They speak LOUD AND CLEAR!