• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Defines A College Football Program?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when I think of "great programs" I am thinking about Blue Bloods. So no offense to some of these teams, but I wouldn't have Clemson on there. Nor Auburn. Not sure about UGA, Penn St, and FSU. Don't get me wrong, all of these teams have Nattys and have had really great squads, just when I think about it... I am thinking all-time and don't think some teams like Clemson should be named along side others. UGA, PSU, and FSU definitely have an argument though. I also think Michigan and Texas are too high. I know you didn't rank them, but they should be on the bottom side of any all time top 10 list in my opinion (when they both are typically listed in the middle). Both routinely underperform for the recruits and attention they get.

I hate to say it, but I would probably agree with the 'greatest programs'.
I was torn on Auburn but Clemson won a title in the 80s so I included them. Auburn has a few unbeaten seasons where they didn't win a title and I thought about that too when debating . For what it's worth my number 4 team would be USC and number 5 Nebraska

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when I think of "great programs" I am thinking about Blue Bloods. So no offense to some of these teams, but I wouldn't have Clemson on there. Nor Auburn. Not sure about UGA, Penn St, and FSU. Don't get me wrong, all of these teams have Nattys and have had really great squads, just when I think about it... I am thinking all-time and don't think some teams like Clemson should be named along side others. UGA, PSU, and FSU definitely have an argument though. I also think Michigan and Texas are too high. I know you didn't rank them, but they should be on the bottom side of any all time top 10 list in my opinion (when they both are typically listed in the middle). Both routinely underperform for the recruits and attention they get.

I hate to say it, but I would probably agree with the 'greatest programs'.
Also I think blue bloods is a slightly different category . If you're a blue blood you're w great program but I think you can be a great program without being a blue blood . Kind of like a Venn diagram lol

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren’t a real program unless you have 2 things. A kick ass logo and State after your state’s name. Alabama is cool, but it isn’t a program, it’s a factory. No one likes factories, you like programs.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a trick questions involving the Faggots of UCF?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many are biasing based on recent history. The top 8 programs (in alphabetical order) are:

Alabama
Michigan
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio St.
Oklahoma
Texas
USC

Penn St. and Tennessee (yes, a bad decade doesn’t undo upwards of a century of history) are in the next group, along with UF, FSU, Miami, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, and possibly Clemson, Pitt, and Washington.

Minnesota is a tough one, as they were a blue blood as recently as the 60s, but have been an also ran since.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to be a great program, you have to do it cleanly, also. Goodbye Ohio State, Alabama, USC...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll talking about great programs is fine and all but can we get back to the actual posted question.

and by back i mean on to because from the jump nobody really answered the posed question.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steely Dan has to mention you in a song, specifically as a name for the winners in the world.

Wait, do you actually own a Steely Dan album? A CD or cassette tape would work also, I just have never met anyone who actually owned a Steely Dan album, and was wondering if they exist.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say losing to Iowa four straight years totally screams "better program"

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does one team beating another make them a "Better Program" that year?

No, not at all. When I think of a football program, I think of a lot of things. But since we’re talking about just a one game, one season approach, it has nothing to do with the long time history of that program. In this scenario you present I think of both teams and their last 2 or 3 years. In other words, what was it within the current recruiting classes has brought this game about and what it means to the schools. For example, after beating Washington for years and years in a row, they finally beat us a few years ago. They were a team on the way up the prior few seasons and we were a program on the way down. So that game makes your point, but not necessarily.

Who has the Biggest Program?

I would define this by sheer size and patronage around the nation. Texas and Notre Dame come to mind. They have fans just everywhere and they are deeply loyal.

Who has the Best Program?

This one I would look at over the scope of the entire time of football. Legendary programs. But ones that never fade for too long. Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame come to mind immediately.