• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are we a quarterback away from?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming this team landed an above average QB (not holding my breath), what is our ceiling and floor with the roster as it is? How far off would we be from a Super Bowl possibility if we actually landed a guy like a healthy Matthew Stafford?

This always comes up with us. If only we had a quarterback, etc etc.

And you can see with press conferences with our management after the season, THEY still believe we're just that quarterback away.

I thought this at the end of the 2018 season for sure...and felt it in 2019 as well...but that sentiment has changed recently where I just groan when I hear "we're just a QB away."

My gut is we're NOT just a QB away...Not even close. Just saying, if we shored up QB, the defense made another strong showing in 2021 and filled a couple of our holes reasonably on the offense, could we make a run?

I say no. I just can't see how we can possibly not get destroyed by a team like the Chiefs like...completely ignoring the Any Given Sunday deal...I don't think we could with 2 weeks to prepare.

I mean...The NFC is looking fairly weak going forward. Is that enough to reasonably give us any hope for expectation if management, as they claim, will be big players for a QB this offseason? Smells like a 7-10 win middling season in our future and I can't shake feeling that way.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we're more than a great QB away from being a topflight playoff team, but it's amazing how much fill-in a great QB can cover when it comes to masking team deficiencies. One way to look at it is are teams like GB, NE, KC, & NO consistently in the playoff mix every year because they have great QBs at the helm, or are these QBs only great because of the teammates that surround them. Obviously it's a mixture of both, but look at the virtually complete changeover in personnel over the years for all these winning teams, yet the common denominator thruout? The QBs. When you have a great one, you have the instant foundation of a potential playoff team year in and year out.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a quarterback away from an injured quarterback.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we're more than a great QB away from being a topflight playoff team, but it's amazing how much fill-in a great QB can cover when it comes to masking team deficiencies. One way to look at it is are teams like GB, NE, KC, & NO consistently in the playoff mix every year because they have great QBs at the helm, or are these QBs only great because of the teammates that surround them. Obviously it's a mixture of both, but look at the virtually complete changeover in personnel over the years for all these winning teams, yet the common denominator thruout? The QBs. When you have a great one, you have the instant foundation of a potential playoff team year in and year out.

This is why I think we are missing out on Watson.....

At 25 yrs old and the 2nd best qb out there,that would have given us years of a top notch qb......Something weve never had in Bears history....

Granted I doubt Houston would have traded him to us because of our landing spot in the draft,but hey,I want to read where we atleast tried.....

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At 25 yrs old and the 2nd best qb out there,that would have given us years of a top notch qb......Something weve never had in Bears history....

Granted I doubt Houston would have traded him to us because of our landing spot in the draft,but hey,I want to read where we atleast tried.....

Pace making this trade would be pretty hard to believe-even taking out of consideration the significanct amount we'd give up to get Watson. He passed on this guy, to trade up for somebody else...who ended up being...well...not nearly as good as a #2 pick in the draft should be. To trade a truckload of resource into Watson would be the largest humble pie deal in sports history. I doubt this happens.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it does seem that Tampa Bay was just a quarterback away from a Superbowl.

And suppose KC didn't have Mahomes. One and done in the playoffs if they even made the playoffs, probably.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'd prolly suffer a career-ending injury in training camp. :pout:

Somehow, some way, the Bears would make him seem pedestrian.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a QB away from having a real QB. But does it even matter??? We have ruined every QB we ever got.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better team.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to make a serious thread and you guys one-line the sh*t out of me.

I guess I deserve it.

Still standing that unless it is a QB that is just generational (Brady/Montana/Manning/Rodgers/Mahomes/etc-like)...I don't see how an average to above average QB gets us there when a few of those guys are in our way. Any given Sunday, but I'm not sold we're a QB away from juggernauting...I would have believed 2 years ago...but not anymore. We're probably a fringe playoff team even with a prime, say, Matt Ryan imo.

Also, as much as I love pass rush...I'll take a stud MLB like Urlacher any day over Mack. I regret not just replacing my U-boat jersey (which had seen better days) with another U-boat jersey instead of Mack.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to make a serious thread and you guys one-line the sh*t out of me.

I guess I deserve it.

Still standing that unless it is a QB that is just generational (Brady/Montana/Manning/Rodgers/Mahomes/etc-like)...I don't see how an average to above average QB gets us there when a few of those guys are in our way. Any given Sunday, but I'm not sold we're a QB away from juggernauting...I would have believed 2 years ago...but not anymore. We're probably a fringe playoff team even with a prime, say, Matt Ryan imo.

Also, as much as I love pass rush...I'll take a stud MLB like Urlacher any day over Mack. I regret not just replacing my U-boat jersey (which had seen better days) with another U-boat jersey instead of Mack.

I dont think we are a qb from being an elite team either......

But you have to start somewheres.......I still think Watsons the guy,but not gonna express my opinion again......

Im not sure why we cant dangle Mack and our first round pick this year and next to move up to top 5........

Or start a conversation with Houston with that idea.....

Mack still has something left for sure,but I believe his prime just left.....
Right now I just dont see Mack being that diffence maker on D anymore......maybe ita because Goldman was out,i dont know.....
But if Mack needa Goldman to flourish,the EG is the difference maker....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read through this and other Bears message boards and everyone is talking about QBs. We could get the next Peyton Manning as a rookie and we would ruin him. We need to build an offensive line that can protect the QB before we can develop a stud QB. After we build a stud OLine, we need to bring in a vet that can mentor a young QB. This franchise will continue to have crappy QBs until they do this. We shouldn’t be talking about trading draft capital in order to get Deshaun Watson. We would ruin Watson with our terrible Oline.

If I were GM, I would bring Trubisky back on a 2-3 year deal, and then spend all of the draft picks on Oline, DLine, and pass rush. Tell Nagy to eat screws if he doesn’t like it. Then use the year to find the best offensive line configuration. After we have an Oline that can pass block, we will be able to start looking for a quality QB.

I’d also let Robinson walk. We don’t have a chance next year and should probably just commit to a rebuild. Tagging Robinson just feeds into the Muslim Mohammad quote of “Chicago is where receivers go to die.” We have a terrible PR issue when it comes to offense and this would be a step in the right direction. If the bears decide to follow my plan, they will actually contend in 3-5 years.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put a top 10 QB on this team and the Bears are definitely in the superbowl hunt. The O line would still need to be addressed but it came together toward the end of the year to be a somewhat not-horrible unit. I like Montgomery a lot. Kmet developed nicely down the stretch. Mooney was a player from day one and Robinson (if we can get him back) is a stud WR. I'd like to see Anthony Miller become something reliable but we've got rather adequate (at least) skill positions on offense.

With an offense that can be at least decent, that helps put the defense in position to do what it was built to do: attack the ball. Fuller/Johnson is a hell of CB duo and hopefully Desai brings Eddie Jackson back from the dead. Smith is a stud in the middle, Mack hopefully still has it and hopefully Quinn isn't broken and was just hampered by the foot last year. Goldman back in the middle, Hicks/Nichols beside him is scary. This defense is built to attack, not to sit back and have to shut down the run because we're always behind.

Are the Bears better than the Tampa team that won the superbowl? Nope. Are they better than KC? Nope. But with a good QB that has an argument as a top 10 guy, I wouldn't count them out against anyone else... and that's all you can really ask for in any sports league.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting note......

Today on Colin Cowherd show,Colin says"The Bears have the worst qb rating in the HISTORY of the NFL"......

The has been some horriblr franchises in the NFL such as
Detroit,NYJ,Cle,Jax,Car and a few others Im sure,that has better qb ratiings than us...

How pathetic is that........

Its time to get that monkey off our back.....enough is enough.

Pull the trigger on Watson or Wilson.....fcs

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin is ripping on the Bears qbs today....

He just posted the Bears are the only team in NFL history to have NEVER had a 4000 yd passer......

And weve also NEVER had a qb throw for 30+ tds in a single season.......?.....

Those two stats are kinda mindnumbing.......

I would have thought that atleast Cutler has done both........

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin is ripping on the Bears qbs today....

He just posted the Bears are the only team in NFL history to have NEVER had a 4000 yd passer......

And weve also NEVER had a qb throw for 30+ tds in a single season.......?.....

Those two stats are kinda mindnumbing.......

I would have thought that atleast Cutler has done both........
Wowzers :shocked:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC...Mike Glennon got signed before Trubisky.

This sh*t is gonna top Sam Bowie in the history books...Unf*ckingbelievable.

How the f*ck does Ryan Pace still have a job?