• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the Nuggets thinking?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not get this trade. I understand why they would move Nurkic, but for Plumlee?

They do not need a center. Jokic is their best player. Jokic and Nurkic did not really fit that well together. I guess it is possible that Plumlee and Jokic will, but I do not think it is worth a first round pick to make that deal. Nurkic arguably has more upside than Plumlee anyway.

This could end up being a really good deal for the Blazers if Nurkic pans out.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of the deal. Also I'm assuming they're giving Plumlee big money? He is a RFA this summer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of the deal. Also I'm assuming they're giving Plumlee big money? He is a RFA this summer

Another reason it makes no sense at all.

I don't really get the direction this team is trying to go. They have some nice pieces, but what is their plan?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason it makes no sense at all.

I don't really get the direction this team is trying to go. They have some nice pieces, but what is their plan?

I also read on espn that they will attempt to trade Gallo before the deadline

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plumlee should be a better fit alongside Jokic. He's quicker, a better passer, and pretty much all around a better player than Nurkic. At worst, he'll be a solid back up center for them if they can't share the floor together. But it's not exactly a move I would make. Then again, we don't know what pressure management is under. They might have a playoffs this year or else directive and this was the best they can do.

Portland is loading up though. I don't care about Nurkic. What has me more intrigued is they now have 3 1st round draft picks this year. They will all be mid to late picks sure, but that's enough to swing a big trade some time in the future, either for a star or to move up in the draft. Plus, as good as this draft is, they can still keep all 3 picks and likely get some good players to bolster their roster around Lillard/McCollum. That's valuable since they are basically capped out for the next couple of years

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do not get this trade. I understand why they would move Nurkic, but for Plumlee?

They do not need a center. Jokic is their best player. Jokic and Nurkic did not really fit that well together. I guess it is possible that Plumlee and Jokic will, but I do not think it is worth a first round pick to make that deal. Nurkic arguably has more upside than Plumlee anyway.

Jokic and Plumlee will work very well together. Plumlee is a pass first cut type of guy that should fit in well for Denver. He will set screen, get blocks, get rebounds and is a team player. Nurkic was constantly a problem for Denver with his attitude. Its a relief for both parties.

Nurkic on the other hand i think improves Portland vastly. One of Portlands main issues that i saw was that Plumlee couldnt finish when set up inside. Nurkic is much better offensively and i think he and miles are on par defensively/rebounding. Both teams improve. Denver wasnt getting anything out of Nurkic.

The kicker are the draft picks, which i would assume Denver is going to trade that second rounder in the offseason. Denver is looking to make the playoffs and i think they will with this trade.But I honestly think Portland will now battle for that last spot with them haha.

Portland might start trading away players since if they do decide to part ways with all the players they signed recently they might as well tank and get some new blood.

Even if Miles leaves Denver still has Kenneth and a trade chip. I feel like Denver wants to cash in this year with the playoffs and then build around Jokic. They still have Mudiay at PG, Barton at SG, Mathews at SF, Jokic at PF, Faried the backup, and Plumlee at center. Jamal Murray a streaky shooter on the bench. Not a bad spot to be in.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually haven't seen much of the Nuggets this year but from everything I've read of beat writers who follow the team, they've said Nurkic has been really, really bad this year.

I think the Nuggets are banking on a weak RFA market to try and keep Plumlee at a respectable deal. If they're able to do that, they can auction off Gallo and Faried to the highest bidder. They should also do the same with Chandler too.

Not sure what direction this Nuggets team takes though. At least they have one solid foundational point in Jokic. After that it's a crapshoot. They'll probably hope Murray takes a Booker type leap sometime soon. Mudiay is looking like he's going to fall into that Elfrid Payton/Rubio/Current Rondo, type of mold of PG, so we'll see where that goes.

If I'm them, I try to get into the Jimmy Butler sweepstakes. If you're able to keep just Jokic and pair him with Butler, you've got a great foundation. I'd also try to hang on to Murray, but anyone else would be fair game for him. They could actually provide the Bulls with the most usable players for this current season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What are they thinking?

lotto.gif

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thinking for them is they get to test run Jokic-Plumlee to see how well they could work, and it may work better than most think due to both of their great passing ability, as they are two of the best passing big men in the NBA.

They basically don't have room for an extra pick, so it likely would've been a draft and stash or used with their own pick to move up a spot or two, the latter being what I would've done in their situation.

Portland is taking a gamble on Nurkic, but I think it's well worth it given what retaining Plumlee would've costed them this summer. Plus they get the 1st rounder.

Portland wins this imo, but who knows... maybe Jokic and Plumlee thrive off each other. If not, you just essentially wasted a 1st rounder for the right to overpay a backup center.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thinking for them is they get to test run Jokic-Plumlee to see how well they could work, and it may work better than most think due to both of their great passing ability, as they are two of the best passing big men in the NBA.

They basically don't have room for an extra pick, so it likely would've been a draft and stash or used with their own pick to move up a spot or two, the latter being what I would've done in their situation.

Portland is taking a gamble on Nurkic, but I think it's well worth it given what retaining Plumlee would've costed them this summer. Plus they get the 1st rounder.

Portland wins this imo, but who knows... maybe Jokic and Plumlee thrive off each other. If not, you just essentially wasted a 1st rounder for the right to overpay a backup center.

At least Denver got "the good Plumlee" (I've been impressed watching Blazer games this year) .... the Hornets just traded for the other one.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Denver got "the good Plumlee" (I've been impressed watching Blazer games this year) .... the Hornets just traded for the other one.

Yeah, he's solid. Nothing special but could be a decent 4th or 5th option for most teams, his offensive game is obviously limited, but he's not bad overall.

Miles on the other hand....

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juancho Hernangómez, the guy who supposedly has potential and made Nurkic more expendable has 11pts 2 rebounds and a steal in t he first Q.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Hernangomez 43mins 27pts 10rebound 2assists 1block one steal

His brother had a nice game vs. the Spurs -- started and did 12 & 9. (and would have had a couple more buckets if Rose & Lee didn't throw him terrible passes)

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blazers couldn't afford to bring back Plumlee during the offseason and Nurkic made it clear with Denver that he wanted to start, but him and Jokic didn't mesh well on the court and Nurkic began pounting on the bench. It was a win-win for both sides.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blazers couldn't afford to bring back Plumlee during the offseason and Nurkic made it clear with Denver that he wanted to start, but him and Jokic didn't mesh well on the court and Nurkic began pounting on the bench. It was a win-win for both sides.

No it was not.

Jokic and Plumlee are not playing together much either. Plumlee will get offers for 18-20 Million a year as an RFA this summer. Will the Nuggets match for a player they use as a backup? I don't see it.

What's worse is that they gave up a first round pick to upgrade to a player they might not even be able to keep and who has a very similar skill set (albeit not as good) to their franchise player.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it was not.

Jokic and Plumlee are not playing together much either. Plumlee will get offers for 18-20 Million a year as an RFA this summer. Will the Nuggets match for a player they use as a backup? I don't see it.

What's worse is that they gave up a first round pick to upgrade to a player they might not even be able to keep and who has a very similar skill set (albeit not as good) to their franchise player.

That seems to be the norm. Middle-of-the-Road players are going to get paid. Look at Evan Turner and Bismack Biyombo for examples.

Nurkic's value was decreased so much with his shenanigans they had no choice but to include a draft pick so the Blazers would bite.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be the norm. Middle-of-the-Road players are going to get paid. Look at Evan Turner and Bismack Biyombo for examples.

Nurkic's value was decreased so much with his shenanigans they had no choice but to include a draft pick so the Blazers would bite.

But that is my point.

If you have to give the pick just to be rid of Nurkic, then just keep him.

This draft is too deep and the Nuggets are not going anywhere this year anyway.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at this point it appears Denver really pissed off Nurkic and he is carrying Portland to that 8th seed with the plans to knock Denver out of the playoffs.