• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz to Indy

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think this is a damn good move by the Colts. They have money to withstand the contract and they didn’t give up shit for picks. Obvious injury concern but worth the risk imo
wouldn't call 3rd and potentially 2nd rounder shit though agree with your premise.

Looks like Dipodesta might have been right about his original comments....just should have kept them to himself.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz dealt for nickels. I think the Colts got a steal here. If Reich can revive Wentz, a huge steal to have a starting QB for the next half decade at that price.

The Athletic's take:

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade quarterback Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts, a source confirmed to The Athletic.

The Colts will send a 2021 third-round pick and 2022 conditional second-round pick to the Eagles. The second-round pick could turn into a first if certain conditions are met.

The trade cannot be completed until March 17, when the new league year opens and deals can become official.

Wentz, 28, is coming off a career-worst season in which he led the NFL with 50 sacks and tied for the lead with 15 interceptions. He was benched for second-round rookie Jalen Hurts after 12 games.

In Indianapolis, Wentz will be reunited with former Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, who is now the Colts’ head coach.

Wentz signed a four-year, $128 million extension in June of 2019 that begins in 2021. By trading him, the Eagles will owe a record $33.8 million in dead money in 2021. On March 19, $15 million of Wentz's $22 million salary for 2022 will become guaranteed.

The Eagles traded up to take Wentz second in the 2016 NFL Draft. He reached the Pro Bowl and finished third in MVP voting in 2017 despite tearing his ACL after 13 games. In five seasons with Philadelphia, he went 35-32-1 with 113 touchdowns and 50 interceptions.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz dealt for nickels. I think the Colts got a steal here. If Reich can revive Wentz, a huge steal to have a starting QB for the next half decade at that price.

The Athletic's take:

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade quarterback Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts, a source confirmed to The Athletic.

The Colts will send a 2021 third-round pick and 2022 conditional second-round pick to the Eagles. The second-round pick could turn into a first if certain conditions are met.

The trade cannot be completed until March 17, when the new league year opens and deals can become official.

Wentz, 28, is coming off a career-worst season in which he led the NFL with 50 sacks and tied for the lead with 15 interceptions. He was benched for second-round rookie Jalen Hurts after 12 games.

In Indianapolis, Wentz will be reunited with former Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, who is now the Colts’ head coach.

Wentz signed a four-year, $128 million extension in June of 2019 that begins in 2021. By trading him, the Eagles will owe a record $33.8 million in dead money in 2021. On March 19, $15 million of Wentz's $22 million salary for 2022 will become guaranteed.

The Eagles traded up to take Wentz second in the 2016 NFL Draft. He reached the Pro Bowl and finished third in MVP voting in 2017 despite tearing his ACL after 13 games. In five seasons with Philadelphia, he went 35-32-1 with 113 touchdowns and 50 interceptions.
Well yes, if...

So you think wentz reverts to a few years ago..

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't call 3rd and potentially 2nd rounder shit though agree with your premise.

Looks like Dipodesta might have been right about his original comments....just should have kept them to himself.
Yeah not shit at all but compare it to what DET got for Stafford maybe. Stafford is more proven but like I said if Wentz can stay healthy (which isn’t crazy considering the Colts have a very solid OL), the sky is high. It’s definitely worth the risk. Also, have to give credit to Philly-they got something pretty good for him and they can move on and start the rebuild.
Philly does carry that dead cap though so that has to come into consideration with the overall trade

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yes, if...

So you think wentz reverts to a few years ago..

I don't know if he will, but this is by far his best shot, playing behind a good OL for the coach, Frank Reich, who was his OC back when he played at a MVP caliber level. Great situation for Wentz.

What this tells me is, there were no other real bidders and Philly got desperate, facing a $10 million roster bonus in a few days.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why this is a good trade for the Colts. If Wentz blows, they are only out a 3rd round pick and they can properly tank and get a top 5 pick in next year's draft. If they go one of these other routes with an okay QB then an okay QB gets Indy to 7 or 8 wins and they can't get a better QB next year.

This is a solid trade even if Wentz has proven to be kinda terrible. On the slim chance he rebuilds his career then the Colts get a bargain basement price and they are competing for a Super Bowl.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, who else will Laugh Their Asses Off if Philly drafts a QB at 6, or better yet trade up for a QB?
I'm already laughing but that has much to do with the Philly fans and their spins. 33m dead money to roll with Jalen Hurts sure looks a top 5 draft pick in 2022 to me.

Very low risk for the Colts to see if their coach can save wentz.

Hell...both teams may select QB in round one this coming draft

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a crapshoot at any point in the draft but still more likely to end up with a starting QB drafting early and in the 1st, which makes sense.

I mean the odds are still way in your favor when taking one in the 1st rather than after that or late

All guys drafted in the 1st:

Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Baker Mayfield
Joe Burrow (we will see)
DeShaun Watson
Ryan Tannehill
Alex Smith
Justin Herbert
Pat Mahomes
Jared Goff
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Kyler Murray
Aaron Rodgers

I mean that’s a lot of starting QB’s drafted in the 1st
Yeah, but of those, Stafford, Goff, Tannehill and Smith all with different teams now. Smith's career is pretty much over and he never did become elite. Goff is a bust really. Tannehill still redeeming himself, I like him. Stafford was in that shit show in Detroit but the guy has talent.
As for the others, Herbert seems like the real deal and Burrows did up until the injury. That injury might or might not factor into his long term situation. Jackson is a dynamic athlete but the jury is still out. Does he become the next Cam Newton? Mayfield is solid to me but I don't think he will ever be elite. Allen appears to have turned the corner. Kyler is a good kid and a gamer but already looks like he may have injury concerns. His legs make him special. Matt Ryan is an enigma. Tons of talent, great overall stats, one fantastic MVP season but damn, not much else. The team obviously plays a huge factor in all of this as well. So yeah, lots of starters but only a handful that are special. That was really my only point.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles trading Carson Wentz for peanuts because they had no better offers:

200.gif

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why this is a good trade for the Colts. If Wentz blows, they are only out a 3rd round pick and they can properly tank and get a top 5 pick in next year's draft. If they go one of these other routes with an okay QB then an okay QB gets Indy to 7 or 8 wins and they can't get a better QB next year.
holy shit....if nothing else, this statement is football clueless to the kinda team Indy has assembled

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those guys are even close to Wentz at this point and that is saying a lot considering Wentz played like shit last year. No dead cap after 2021. Give up a 3rd and 2nd to try it out...why not, if he gets injured who cares. None of those guys could do more...add in Jimmy G or even Cousins. Wentz was really best guy on the market not named Deshaun Watson

Wentz complete only 57% of his passes last year. And here is the kicker: All he was throwing was short routes with a pathetic 6.0 YPC average.

That is tough to do in today's NFL.

The one guy that I forgot to list was Fitzpatrick.

And I am not even saying they needed to cross Wentz off the list of possibilities. IMO if Indy plays chicken with Phili, they could have had Wentz at half this price. Every day it got closer to the start of the league year, Wentz value was decreasing because he HAD to be off the Phili roster by that point.

I just think that having enough Plan B options there that werent a total disaster was enough where they didn't have to give up this much for Wentz.

Giving up a 2nd with the possibility of giving up a 1st next year was too much for how bad Wentz was combined with the amount of money you had to pay him.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he will, but this is by far his best shot, playing behind a good OL for the coach, Frank Reich, who was his OC back when he played at a MVP caliber level. Great situation for Wentz.

What this tells me is, there were no other real bidders and Philly got desperate, facing a $10 million roster bonus in a few days.
Agree, fully.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought:

Philip Rivers in 2019 on the Chargers: 5-11, 23 TDs, 20 Ints on 591 pass attempts
Philip Rivers in 2020 on the Colts: 11-5, 24 TDs, 11 Ints on 543 pass attempts

The Colts are a place where QBs can improve imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit....if nothing else, this statement is football clueless to the kinda team Indy has assembled
You cut out the part where I said they were Super Bowl contenders with a good QB because....?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not shit at all but compare it to what DET got for Stafford maybe. Stafford is more proven but like I said if Wentz can stay healthy (which isn’t crazy considering the Colts have a very solid OL), the sky is high. It’s definitely worth the risk. Also, have to give credit to Philly-they got something pretty good for him and they can move on and start the rebuild.
Philly does carry that dead cap though so that has to come into consideration with the overall trade

Indy did not even offer a first for Stafford though, this trade has the potential to be a 1st and a third. I think it is safe to say that Colts value Wentz more than Stafford.

I absolutely love what the Lions got in that trade, I just think every other team values 1sts more so it is not really apples to apples.