• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welp, USC might be about ready

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
El Paso doesn’t really count as Texas though does it?
Many don't think so. Their county and the one immediately to the East are the only two counties in Texas in the Mountain Time Zone!

But, I was referring to that shot you fired probably stirring up the Aggie faithful, not us lowly Miner fans. :suds:

BUT, we are the only Texas FBS school with a natty in Men's hoops so we got that going for us! (Thought Tech was going to get the 2nd one last year but they came up short.)

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, essentially whomever is left after SC shakes the foundation of the PAC, SC will align with them as ND does with the ACC?

If SC jumps ship to begin sports(Football) as an independent, the PAC as we know it will implode. At that point, the biggest money piece of the conference is gone, I'm sure AZ schools, UCLA would then really consider joining the Big 12.. along with Colorado and Utah. Maybe Huskies dream of playing in the Rust Belt will then materialize.

So who is independent SC going to align themselves at that point? Big 12? probably not. RustBelt? If they didn't make loopholes for ND, SC is absolutely not getting one. MWC? most likely.. and with that SC as an independent is a joke.

SC doesn't have to align themselves with any one conference. ND only within the last 5 years began playing 5 games against the ACC. The deal was to sweet to pass up. But before that they obviously had no issues getting to an 11/12 game schedule. The deal with ACC, put some rivalries on hold more(games like Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan etc) which might be what USC has to do in regards to Stanford. I would imagine they would keep the UCLA game yearly(because UCLA would want too), but outside of that everything else would be off the table.

I'm off the belief that if SC wanted to truly go independent, they could absolutely swing it. My guess would be something like 9 P5's, 3 G5's as a schedule.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford isn't afriad of tough scheduling. As I mentioned earlier, the PAC would likely drop to an 8-game schedule knowing that teams will schedule USC.

I think that's more realistic regarding the 8 game schedule. Or maybe the Pac 12 would add BYU/Boise State and continue playing 9? Who really knows. I'm of the belief they would try to add a 12th team.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SC doesn't have to align themselves with any one conference. ND only within the last 5 years began playing 5 games against the ACC. The deal was to sweet to pass up. But before that they obviously had no issues getting to an 11/12 game schedule. The deal with ACC, put some rivalries on hold more(games like Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan etc) which might be what USC has to do in regards to Stanford. I would imagine they would keep the UCLA game yearly(because UCLA would want too), but outside of that everything else would be off the table.

I'm off the belief that if SC wanted to truly go independent, they could absolutely swing it. My guess would be something like 9 P5's, 3 G5's as a schedule.
ND was being forced into aligning with the ACC because of how the CFP was working out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC and Stanford goes back a long time and bothfan bases look forward to those games and to travel to them . I seriously doubt Stanford would not want to play USC every year.

Just a matter of who they would prefer to play more. I'd guess ND but obviously we don't know that for sure.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a matter of who they would prefer to play more. I'd guess ND but obviously we don't know that for sure.
Yes it's anyones guess but Stanford has much more ties to USC with both areas having a great deal of the other schools alumni. With Notre Dame I think it's purely a football tie playing another academic school with good football. I seriously doubt most Stanford people would complain about not playing ND.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's anyones guess but Stanford has much more ties to USC with both areas having a great deal of the other schools alumni. With Notre Dame I think it's purely a football tie playing another academic school with good football. I seriously doubt most Stanford people would complain about not playing ND.

Oh yeah for sure there is more tradition with the SC/Stanford game. I just think Stanford sees itself more as a national team given how they've scheduled in the last 20 years. Playing ND every year is an extension of that.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah for sure there is more tradition with the SC/Stanford game. I just think Stanford sees itself more as a national team given how they've scheduled in the last 20 years. Playing ND every year is an extension of that.
I can see that. Except I don't think they embrace that as part of who they are like Note Dame does.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's more realistic regarding the 8 game schedule. Or maybe the Pac 12 would add BYU/Boise State and continue playing 9? Who really knows. I'm of the belief they would try to add a 12th team.

Don't add anyone, eliminate divisions.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that. Except I don't think they embrace that as part of who they are like Note Dame does.

Certainly not to the extent ND does, I'd agree with that. Just on a smaller scale. Their conference affiliation really prevents them from doing it on a larger scale.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would also work. Though I think school like BYU/Boise State would add to the quality of the conference.

BSU doesn't qualify academically.
BYU won't be added because of their religious affiliation.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather add them as a 12th team than stay at 11. Regardless on what they actually do.

BSU would dilute the conference revenue. BYU would add weight to it, and I would love for them to join, but the University presidents have been staunchly against it in the past.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't correct at all.
So ND wanted to align itself with the ACC instead of doing what it had been doing for decades? BTW the financial woes aren't going to magically disappear with SC going independent and the leftover schools throwing themselves at them to schedule home and homes either. The gap will only get wider.. for both parties. I can see SC getting an independent deal with Apple, then complaining that the Committee doesn't watch their games.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ND wanted to align itself with the ACC instead of doing what it had been doing for decades? BTW the financial woes aren't going to magically disappear with SC going independent and the leftover schools throwing themselves at them to schedule home and homes either. The gap will only get wider.. for both parties. I can see SC getting an independent deal with Apple, then complaining that the Committee doesn't watch their games.

Yes. Had nothing to do with the CFP as you originally claimed. ACC offered them the best opportunity (and a hell of a deal) to move all sports except football.