• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

well shit...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaching staff has no idea what they are doing. And they should be held accountable. Hell, we just watched them throw Burrow to the Pittsburgh pass rush with no chance to win late last week. It's sort of ironic, because as much as we were all sick of Marvin and his merry band of coaches, my guess is that they would have been much more conservative about protecting Burrrow. Most experienced staffs would have had a different plan.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac is just a scapegoat, I think.

but there is a chance things could turn around if they decide that "ok, yes, we really need to fix the OL and add a diversion in the form of a balanced running game"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not much to be said here, that hasn't been printed somewhere else. While I agree with Zac Taylor that the line has been doing a better job of late, the fact of the matter is that Burrow got hurt on a play when his 300 pound offensive guard couldn't stay on his feet. Burrow would have been better off if Jordan just did a little bullfighter move and let his guy hit him up high.

I'll also say that the team had a good scheme to protect Burrow - A bunch of lighting quick reads and passes that are well suited to Burrow's skillset. But again, now you need to point out that the kid threw 34 passes and was only on his second drive in the second half. Yes, it's a passing league, but sooner or later teams are going to come hunting.

The last thing that stands out to me is what a disaster this franchise is without Burrow. I know that should have been obvious last year.... and it was.... But, it's a really sad state of affairs when a guy that is this good has to play on a franchise that is this bad. You can't say the same thing about Tua or Herbert - Both of them are surrounded by coaches that know what they are doing with young talent that is used correctly.

He was forced to though. No running game what else was he supposed to do?

No OL really screwed him. I hope its only a year absence, dude could play!!

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sorry for the kid and for you fans.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was forced to though. No running game what else was he supposed to do?

No OL really screwed him. I hope its only a year absence, dude could play!!
This isn't entirely true.

Last game against Pitt - the main RB's averaged over 5 yards a carry. While they got down, yes, there was no need to completely abandon the run game. Yet, let in the game with no chance of winning - there is Burrow dropping back, dropping back, dropping back. All under the guise of "momentum" for the future.

Against WA - I believe the RB's were averaging 4.5 YPC - and yet there is Burrow back to pass again.

This has been the theme all year - even when the running game has been positive - ZT continually drops Burrow back 40+ times a game. That's a lot for any QB, let alone a young rookie QB, let alone behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

He may not have control over who gets placed on the roster - but he has 100% control over how he calls a game. He was abysmal his first time through in Cincinnati at the college level (was OC for University of Cincinnati - and was not very good) and his return as a playcaller/coach has not gone any better.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last game against Pitt - the main RB's averaged over 5 yards a carry. While they got down, yes, there was no need to completely abandon the run game. Yet, let in the game with no chance of winning - there is Burrow dropping back, dropping back, dropping back. All under the guise of "momentum" for the future.

Against WA - I believe the RB's were averaging 4.5 YPC - and yet there is Burrow back to pass again.

This has been the theme all year - even when the running game has been positive - ZT continually drops Burrow back 40+ times a game. That's a lot for any QB, let alone a young rookie QB, let alone behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

He may not have control over who gets placed on the roster - but he has 100% control over how he calls a game. He was abysmal his first time through in Cincinnati at the college level (was OC for University of Cincinnati - and was not very good) and his return as a playcaller/coach has not gone any better.

right, they don't seem to understand the concept of calculated risk. this is a season where, we are obviously NOT going to make the playoffs. we want to be competitive, but not at the expense of losing our franchise QB.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just sucks. Sorry Bengals fans. Hope Burrow can make a full recovery. Never like seeing players get injured. But the teams # 1 priority has to be upgrading that terrible OL this off season.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is 100% spot on.... And what I was alluding to in another post. I don't think an experienced coaching staff would do this with Burrow. I understand that coaches do what they can do to win games. And Burrow passing gives them better chances to win. But there is a long-game in play here. The Bengals needed to get the running game going and they needed to develop something beyond the 5-receiver set. To me, Taylor was selfishly letting Burrow put up big passing numbers as a way to justify his coaching success.

You want to see what sort of talent Zac Taylor is as an offensive coach? Watch the Bengals play football over the final 6 weeks. I don't think you'll be impressed.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem is, the bengals are used to excuses.

we will lose every game this season, and it will be acceptable, because of... this reason, or that reason.

I wouldn't blame a few players if they just went ahead and retired. no since getting injured if your name is AJ Green or someone like that.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a shocker... The same coaches that were universally hated on a horrible Dophins team are also universally hated here. And we're probably stuck with it - I don't imagine Tobin pulling the plug.