• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well heres OU's new Defensive staff

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 2013, the year he was run off and could have paid Saban $10 million if you wanted, but as usual didn't.

Mack Brown a game-changer in recruiting

And yet you went 8-5 that year. You had talent and after Texas lost to Alabama, they no longer had a clue what to do with it. And if you go back to what I was responding to in the first damn place, it was a discussion about Oklahoma having good talent and poor results.

So say what you want, don't care - not changing my position. Yes I know you won a national championship with Vince Young, and Gene Chizik won a national championship with Cam Newton. That doesn't take away the rest of their careers.
Your position is always the same. Say something ignorant and when called out “well, Saban beat him”. It’s like arguing with a child, it always ends up “my dad can beat up your dad”.. Congratulations, your Chizk comparison is one of your dumber comments. That is saying something

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we haz your kicker please?

10087250b12adf60b850c4c049e2447e56dc1bb3efe203cf69ab5ecef6336652.jpg

Last edited:

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why recruit them?

Probably a case by case scenario.

Sometimes the coaches think they can make a positive impact and help change a young man's life.

Sometimes you have to try to get that kind of athlete on the field.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your position is always the same. Say something ignorant and when called out “well, Saban beat him”. It’s like arguing with a child, it always ends up “my dad can beat up your dad”

How many different offenses and defenses did Mack Brown try in the years following 2009?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go OU defense!

Get 'em!

BOOMER SOONER!

OU!

DEFENSE!

IT COULD HAPPEN!

NEW GUISE!

YEET!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many different offenses and defenses did Mack Brown try in the years following 2009?

That isn’t a chasing stars issue. It seems you are starting to understand

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t a chasing stars issue. It seems you are starting to understand

It is when you just grab the highest star players you can get rather than the ones that fit into your schemes while at the same time thinking you can just throw your existing talent into it.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a case by case scenario.

Sometimes the coaches think they can make a positive impact and help change a young man's life.

Sometimes you have to try to get that kind of athlete on the field.
I can see that and I admire those that are willing to try help kids.

Schools other than "the biggies" really need to take a chance on talented kids with some questionable issues in order to compete. But, they also have to accept the fact they will be dealing with said issues if things don't work out. Comes with the territory.

But for the great majority of them, their character flaws are known from high school. It ain't a surprise so they don't need to pretend they are when it happens. That kid at the center of the Baylor mess where Peterson and Briles got into it, is a good example. Both schools knew the kid had character issues from the get go. Then it just turned into a pissing contest. Boise let him go. Even if Peterson didn't tell Briles, Baylor already knew because they were recruiting him out of HS as well.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The majority of the starters on our defense were Charlie Strong's players and were part of some of the worst defenses in school history. Orlando turned that around. It starts with coaching, IMO.....

I know. We disagree on this issue, but you have to admit that, this years defense is also more mature, stronger, and has more experience then when Strong was coaching them.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that and I admire those that are willing to try help kids.

Schools other than "the biggies" really need to take a chance on talented kids with some questionable issues in order to compete. But, they also have to accept the fact they will be dealing with said issues if things don't work out. Comes with the territory.

But for the great majority of them, their character flaws are known from high school. It ain't a surprise so they don't need to pretend they are when it happens. That kid at the center of the Baylor mess where Peterson and Briles got into it, is a good example. Both schools knew the kid had character issues from the get go. Then it just turned into a pissing contest. Boise let him go. Even if Peterson didn't tell Briles, Baylor already knew because they were recruiting him out of HS as well.

My favorite is after they are on campus for a couple weeks, the cops show up for shit they did back home.

OU has lost a couple that way.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU’s defense is going to put Bama’s to shame next year. Now the Hurts transfer makes sense though, he is inbred through and through so he is going to sabotage the Sooners title bid next year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plot twist: Hurts transferred to Oklahoma to play Linebacker.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first blush, I wasn't that impressed with Oklahoma's new hires & position responsibility shifts on defense; but after looking at the different coaches' backgrounds, it looks like at least 3 new coaches should probably have a positive impact on the Sooner's defense.

Grinch, Manning & Odom have worked together before and are accomplished both alone & together. Grinch is a native of Ohio, schooled at Mt. Union, and may be able to help the Sooners recruit the Buckeye State. He's also had coaching stops at New Hampshire, Wyoming, Missouri, Washington St. & Ohio St.

Manning is from the state of Michigan & a UM product. He may be helpful in recruiting that area. His coaching stops include stints at Cincinnati, Michigan, Washington St. & UCLA. Odom is an Oklahoma native who played one year for the Sooners before finishing up at Southeast Oklahoma St. He's had coaching stops Washington St. & Missouri.

The holdovers from the old staff, Ruffin McNeill & Calvin Thibodeaux, are the ones that concern me. McNeill is a North Carolina native who graduated from East Carolina & furthered his education at Clemson. He's coached on various levels at 9 institutions before arriving at Oklahoma in 2017. His defenses don't seem to get the job done, but maybe concentrating on OLBs will produce at different result. I don't know anything about his recruiting skills.

Thibodeaux is a Texas native that played at Oklahoma. He had success coaching the DL at Navarro JC & Dartmouth U., but only spent one year at each place. He spent 3 years coaching DTs at Tulsa before coaching the DL at Kansas in 2015. He's been at Oklahoma the last 3 years.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you do not have the Jimmys and Joes … you still do not have a defense ...

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you do not have the Jimmys and Joes … you still do not have a defense ...

Jesus, you’re fucking stupid. Stop popping off about shit you know nothing about.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, you’re fucking stupid. Stop popping off about shit you know nothing about.

As funny as that is, some kinds of stupid cant be fixed.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking it will all be better than last year.

I know that's going out on a limb.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me … just how great is that OU Defense … top ten in the Nation ????

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me … just how great is that OU Defense … top ten in the Nation ????

That’s not the comment you made. You made a comment about OU not having the talent to field a competent defense revealing you’re just popping off like a dumb ass.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next season we'll get back to where we were a few years ago. We will have a couple of games when it will take 50 points to just stay in the game. But remember, the past two years we have seen 4-5 games every year when we needed that 50 points to just have a chance of winning.....and frequently that was still not enough. That's improvement in my books. The year after that should be the Real Deal when we have a great offense to go with a helluva defense and OU can finally win another NC. It might take one more round of clearing out the old coaches to accomplish all that but Lincoln Riley will do whatever he has to do.......even get rid of that tub of goo McNeill with his $560,000 salary if he doesn't perform.