• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well, don't say Maholm

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping to see Falu make the cut, not knowing what the alternatives were. Looks like maybe Dominquez is going to hang in there. This is what blows about giving 2-year deals to guys like Skippy, who won't help this team a bit.

Reds announce cuts, release Paul Maholm

The Reds made another rounds of cuts Monday, which included the release of veteran pitcher Paul Maholm, who was competing for a spot on the pitching staff this spring.

Other moves Monday included optioning pitcher Pedro Villarreal to Triple-A Louisville, as well as reassigning pitcher Nate Adock, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr., infielder Irving Falu and catcher Kyle Skipworth to minor-league camp.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on the Skippy type signings. At his age coming off shoulder surgery I can't see him providing much.

DeJesus had a great ST, Falu was solid. Both are under team control for this year and assigned to the minors as far as I know. They provide better organization depth at middle infielder than the Reds have had in recent years. Given a opportunity either one could be this year's version of Kris Negron if they are able to take advantage of it. Got to be in the right place at the right time.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it over and over again- as good as Jocketty is at finding cheap, one year wonders from the scrap heap, he's equally bad at signing them beyond their welcome.

I do believe that most teams would rather have a veteran bench, believing that still developing younger players need the benefit of more playing time in the minors, they won't get on the big club. I don't disagree with that, and position flexibility is a plus from the bench- Schumaker can play average D in the OF and 2b. He does give a "professional at bat" - meaning he doesn't make unusually quick outs-but he isn't a plus offensively. Dominguez can play a few positions, so can Negron, that helps both their chances at utility roles.

I'm not unhappy Maholm got the boot, but really sorry better options than Marquis can't be trusted. If he's just a 3 start fill in for Bailey, I understand not using an option on a AAA pitcher, but if he's a 20 start guy, we're in trouble...

Mahol was a lefty, so I'd say his demise means Cingrani has a better chance sticking as a lefty bullpenner. I'm not very high on Cingrani- if he doesn't develop a breaking ball he can throw behind in the count for strikes, he's going to get hammered. He doesn't throw enough strikes generally, even with the fastball 90% of his pitches. Can't really use him as a LOOGY, because best strategy there employs the curveball against a lefty hitter, and Cingrani doesn't have one. I don't think he's MLB ready without a breaking ball. Simple as that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds seem to stay committed to letting Cingrani hang around. I do believe they think he has starter potential. I suppose there were doubters in Brooklyn when Sandy Koufax came into town. Hey, it's just a thought. Still, the game has changed a lot since Koufax but the nature of throwing strikes to location will never change.

I think the Reds have a marginally adequate pitching staff -- but the offense is not going to score any runs. This is not going to be an easy season to watch.