• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome back to reality

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-2 through the first 15. 5-13 since then. We knew it wasn't going to be pretty this season but why did they have to come out of the gate over-performing and raise hope? So typically Mariners. Prick teasers. Reminds me of Julie Murphy in 7th grade who would not wear a bra to the football games, setting her blossoming tits free, but always maintaining a 'look but don't touch' policy.

Disclaimer: For the record, I did try to tell you guys that Beckham and Santana are not the kind of hitters that can carry an offense for an entire season.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Domingo Santana has 6 errors, no other OF has more then 3. Despite his solid start offensively he's a negative WAR because his defense its that bad. The funny thing is he isnt even in my top 3 of defensive concerns. SS, CF and C are trainwrecks defensively and those 3 spots will cost you more runs and games.

It would be ideal to move Santana to DH but you already have 4 other DHs on this roster (Vogs, Bruce, EE and Healy). This is where I just lose complete faith in Dipoto. He promised a more athletic roster when he got here. It's very similar to Jack Z. A few years of trying to build something and now we just have a beer league softball team that relys on hitting dingers. I guess the only positive is Dipoto doesnt think this roster will compete whereas Jack Z did. But still no excuse to have little league defense in almost all your defensive positions. Its just not a watchable product. If there are still defenders on what this team can be, I think they will fade after this next road trip.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Domingo Santana has 6 errors, no other OF has more then 3. Despite his solid start offensively he's a negative WAR because his defense its that bad. The funny thing is he isnt even in my top 3 of defensive concerns. SS, CF and C are trainwrecks defensively and those 3 spots will cost you more runs and games.

It would be ideal to move Santana to DH but you already have 4 other DHs on this roster (Vogs, Bruce, EE and Healy). This is where I just lose complete faith in Dipoto. He promised a more athletic roster when he got here. It's very similar to Jack Z. A few years of trying to build something and now we just have a beer league softball team that relys on hitting dingers. I guess the only positive is Dipoto doesnt think this roster will compete whereas Jack Z did. But still no excuse to have little league defense in almost all your defensive positions. Its just not a watchable product. If there are still defenders on what this team can be, I think they will fade after this next road trip.

I still have a hard time understanding how bad this team is defensively. It’s not like most of these guys have moved positions and are learning new things. How the hell are you in the majors and still can’t catch a ball!

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leads the AL in RBI and has a negative WAR. LOL. Only the Mariners could have a player like this.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-2 through the first 15. 5-13 since then. We knew it wasn't going to be pretty this season but why did they have to come out of the gate over-performing and raise hope? So typically Mariners. Prick teasers. Reminds me of Julie Murphy in 7th grade who would not wear a bra to the football games, setting her blossoming tits free, but always maintaining a 'look but don't touch' policy.

Disclaimer: For the record, I did try to tell you guys that Beckham and Santana are not the kind of hitters that can carry an offense for an entire season.

On the bright side, I'm no longer getting shit from my friends and colleagues who were trying to prove I was wrong by I unequivocally telling them the Mariners wouldn't finish above .500.

The team should be fun to watch despite losing a lot of games though. Offense has a lot of fire power and the bullpen has the potential to blow any game.

I have no idea who Julie Murphy is. I did a Google Search and I hope this isn't the beauty you were talking about:

220px-Julie_Murphy_2017.jpg

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, I'm no longer getting shit from my friends and colleagues who were trying to prove I was wrong by I unequivocally telling them the Mariners wouldn't finish above .500.

The team should be fun to watch despite losing a lot of games though. Offense has a lot of fire power and the bullpen has the potential to blow any game.

I have no idea who Julie Murphy is. I did a Google Search and I hope this isn't the beauty you were talking about:

220px-Julie_Murphy_2017.jpg
LOL. Julie Murphy. Katy, Texas

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outscored 7-48 in the last 4 games is embarrassing... All of them at home...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have a hard time understanding how bad this team is defensively. It’s not like most of these guys have moved positions and are learning new things. How the hell are you in the majors and still can’t catch a ball!

My understanding is Smith and Santana aren’t playing their normal positions. Still no excuse for dropping balls or making errors at historic rate. Hell, Dee Gordon was a better OF last year and he almost always took a bad first step.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is Smith and Santana aren’t playing their normal positions. Still no excuse for dropping balls or making errors at historic rate. Hell, Dee Gordon was a better OF last year and he almost always took a bad first step.

Smith has played CF in 571 career professional games. The next highest is LF with 100. Tampa did have him move around all three OF positions last year, but he still played 71 in CF (48 RF and 37 LF). So, by this point, Smith has been mostly a CF for 7 years.

As for Domingo, he has been mostly a RF, but I have never seen anyone struggle so much moving from RF to LF. Granted, he hasn't been stellar in RF, since his fielding % at all levels is still higher in LF (.964) than in RF (.962). Hundreds, if not thousands of players have made the move from RF to LF (and vice versa) and haven't had the difficulty fielding that Domingo has had.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has played CF in 571 career professional games. The next highest is LF with 100. Tampa did have him move around all three OF positions last year, but he still played 71 in CF (48 RF and 37 LF). So, by this point, Smith has been mostly a CF for 7 years.

As for Domingo, he has been mostly a RF, but I have never seen anyone struggle so much moving from RF to LF. Granted, he hasn't been stellar in RF, since his fielding % at all levels is still higher in LF (.964) than in RF (.962). Hundreds, if not thousands of players have made the move from RF to LF (and vice versa) and haven't had the difficulty fielding that Domingo has had.

Wasn’t giving them a pass or an excuse. But agree with your point that I can’t recall 2 athletic guys struggling so badly.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t giving them a pass or an excuse. But agree with your point that I can’t recall 2 athletic guys struggling so badly.

I think Domingo will eventually improve, but I don't recall him being considered anything more than average defensively.

Mallex Smith is the more surprising of the two for me. From what I recall he has been above average defensively in CF throughout his career. No idea what's up with him, I just have to suspect it's just a strange aberration.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah Santana defensively isnt great but there are hitters in this lineup that are not playing to their standard. We need to start pointing fingers at Mitch Haniger, Mallex Smith, Ryan Healy, Edwin Encarnacion, and Jay Bruce. I remember when Mitch was considered untradeable in the offseason we thought he could make a run for an all star spot this season but apparently not. Healy and Bruce and striking out, Mallex smith whom was hitting .297 in Tampa cant hit .200, this lineup that started hot is getting buzzsawed by opposing pitchers right now

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the recent offensive problems is that they are not putting the ball in play. At least a ground out or a fly out has the potential to advance or score a base runner. A strikeout does nothing for you. In the list below, the first number after the player's name shows the pace they are on for total strikeouts this year. The second number shows their strikeout frequency per at bat.
Haniger 200 32.1%
Beckham 190 34.5%
Santana 190 28.9%
Bruce 162 35.8%
Smith 157 34.0%
Healy 133 23.1%
Encarnacion 129 25.0%
Vogelbach 95 26.3%
Narvaez 95 22.2%
Gordon 86 15.7%
Murphy 62 43.4%
And Bishop, who just arrived, is fitting right in: 42.9%

If you need a reference: Mike Zunino strikes out 37.4% of the time. So, several of these guys are K-ing at close to Zunino rates.

Last edited: