• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weiss / Rockies - No Respect From Beantown

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested is looking at how NL West Managers are viewed from afar. Here is the Boston Globe’s ranking and comments. They blame Weiss’ low rating on the lack of talent on the Rockies roster. Not surprisingly they consider John Farrell the best Manager in the Game. Too bad the Rockies don’t have the Red Sox on their Interleague schedule this year. The number in brackets indicates the overall ranking among all 30 Managers:

1- Bruce Bochy, Giants — Always high on this list, Bochy, a two-time World Series champion, has vast experience. He’s considered one of the best in-game managers, gets the most out of his players, and really knows pitching. He manages firmly, but he’s a master motivator. His physical presence is undeniable. (4th Overall)
2- Bud Black, Padres — He’s grown from the pitching coach who became a manager to one of the best managers in baseball. Farrell learned a lot from his old Indians teammate. The fact that Black was once a pitching coach is now moot. He’s considered a strong NL tactician. (7th Overall)
3- Don Mattingly, Dodgers — He’s had a lot of growing pains, but now the game has slowed down for him in the dugout and Mattingly has developed his own style. He’s managing some big salaries and big egos but he was a Yankee, so he’s used to it. For that reason, he makes sense for the Dodgers. (18th Overall)
4- Kirk Gibson, Diamondbacks — There were some rough edges that had to be smoothed out and that is still a work in progress, but Gibson now has the experience, as well as the toughness he had as a player, to get to the next level. (19th Overall)
5- Walt Weiss, Rockies — Not many negatives, just needs better talent. (21st Overall)

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do think some of the observations are accurate. I have a lot of respect for Bochy, even if he's a Giant and I think Weiss has held his own and is a nice fit for the Rockies.

Mattingly is great with the players, but doesn't always think fast on his feet. Maybe Tim Wallach will help him along those lines.

I certainly don't think John Farrell is the best manager in baseball, but you can't fault the fans in Boston for being blinded by a WS trophy.