• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week one betting lines.....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know it's early. But what do you guys think about these week one lines as of now?

2013 NFL schedule: Vegas releases Week 1 betting lines - CBSSports.com

A few that caught my eye were:

NE - 7 @ BUF: Even before NE 'lost' some key offensive starters I would have taken Buffalo. These div games in week one are always close. IMO, the line should be more like NE - 4-5. Bills

GB @ SF - 5.5: 5.5 is always a weird number. To me it basically says that the lines-makers really think that SF is going to put it to GB yet again but realize that GB is a public team with a great QB so they dont want to make the line bigger. I dont see it, I'd have SF - 7.5. A very complete team vs a very one dimensional team. Niners.

Zona @ STL - 6: Stl. Louis is one of the teams that many believe are going to compete for a playoff spot. I'm not seeing it. Their running game will most likely be quite weak and their O-line still has major ?s even with the new additions. Their defense looks to be stout and would expect a low scoring game, so 6 points is too much. I still think that STL wins, but the line should be STL - 3. Cards.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the Ravens @ Denver game...i think it's easy money. Denver won't cover.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the Ravens @ Denver game...i think it's easy money. Denver won't cover.

Yea, I dont like either side on that. I guess if I had to choose it would be the Ravens to cover. I do like the under 50 though.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears as a 3.5 favorite over the Bengals? Take the Bengals all day.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If RG3 is back to full health I like the redskins at -5.5. I think they can cover. Denver at -8.5 is huge. I would have to go with the Ravens.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more that I think about it the more I like Denver to cover there. Opening night at home against the champ...... the last time they were on the field against this team they outplayed for 55 minutes and in their minds completely let it slip away. I dont usually look at motivational factors, but considering how their season ended and getting a shot at that team at home....... and add in how different Baltimore will look personnel wise I could totally see Denver winning by 10-11 points.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears as a 3.5 favorite over the Bengals? Take the Bengals all day.

Agreed. Bengals were great ats on the road last year. While the Bears had a losing ats record at home.

I'm hesitant to bet on any coach that I haven't seen coach for at least a few games. Who really knows what you're going to get from Trestman at this point? That also means that I wouldn't want to bet against him. But if I had to choose, I'd go with Cincy because they were really good on the road last year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zona @ STL - 6: Stl. Louis is one of the teams that many believe are going to compete for a playoff spot. I'm not seeing it. Their running game will most likely be quite weak and their O-line still has major ?s even with the new additions. Their defense looks to be stout and would expect a low scoring game, so 6 points is too much. I still think that STL wins, but the line should be STL - 3. Cards.
You're focusing too much on STL. The Ram's defensive line is their strength on the Cardinals offensive line and running game is their weakness. -3 would suggest that the teams are on an equal playing field and STL is getting the nod for home field. I kinda think this is in 'stay away' territory because I follow the Rams religiously and even Im not really sure how good their offense will be. It could be really good, though

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're focusing too much on STL. The Ram's defensive line is their strength on the Cardinals offensive line and running game is their weakness. -3 would suggest that the teams are on an equal playing field and STL is getting the nod for home field. I kinda think this is in 'stay away' territory because I follow the Rams religiously and even Im not really sure how good their offense will be. It could be really good, though

No, I'm considering how much Arizona sucks too. I see a 16-13 type game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm considering how much Arizona sucks too. I see a 16-13 type game.
You must still be distraught over the fact that the Seahawks did lose to Arizona and St Louis last year and both teams got better over the offseason. There probably won't be any 'suck' teams in the NFC West this year

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must still be distraught over the fact that the Seahawks did lose to Arizona and St Louis last year and both teams got better over the offseason. There probably won't be any 'suck' teams in the NFC West this year

There will be some offenses that most likely will suck. You dont have to agree with my assessment bro, but it has nothing to do with being "distraught over the fact that the Seahawks did lose to Arizona and St Louis last year". I bet you think that any time someone picks against STL it's because of lack of objectivity, huh? I like the Rams roster, especially on defense, but IMO this wont be the breakout year that many are predicting for them. I expect that their offense is going to have some major growing pains and be a much better team in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you think that any time someone picks against STL it's because of lack of objectivity, huh?
Only if they are a division rival that suggests that 2 teams suck in a division that many project to be one of (if not the) toughest divisions in football. I do think Seattle is the favorite but I also don't think there are any bad teams in the division.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if they are a division rival that suggests that 2 teams suck in a division that many project to be one of (if not the) toughest divisions in football. I do think Seattle is the favorite but I also don't think there are any bad teams in the division.

Like I said, I dont think any team will suck. I think that both the Cards and the Rams will have some good defenses but I also think that both will struggle quite a bit on offense.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even most know it, many always have to be reminded during these discussions.

The lines exist not to declare true outcomes. They are there to get as much money betting on both sides as possible because the books are a business that want to make money, not lose it. And if your going to take the fav, you're going to have deal with this .5 garbage a lot which is just another way to screw you a bit more and lines way higher than they naturally should.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those loses were in Sept and were the 1st and 2nd road games of RWs career. And you know it. Don't go cherry picking stats unless your willing to say the whole story.

We went 7 out of 8 in the 2nd half of the season once everything clicked with us, including 3 NFC West victories that involved demolishing the Cards and SF.

While the Rams had a good offseason with FA and draft, they still have a lot of work to do to get to where SF and Seattle are. The Cards are dealing with a new coach and new QB whose long in the tooth. I give them 6 wins max next year and good odds they lose every one of their division games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those loses were in Sept and were the 1st and 2nd road games of RWs career. And you know it. Don't go cherry picking stats unless your willing to say the whole story.

We went 7 out of 8 in the 2nd half of the season once everything clicked with us, including 3 NFC West victories that involved demolishing the Cards and SF.

While the Rams had a good offseason with FA and draft, they still have a lot of work to do to get to where SF and Seattle are. The Cards are dealing with a new coach and new QB whose long in the tooth. I give them 6 wins max next year and good odds they lose every one of their division games.
Conventional wisdom does point to the Seahawks and Niners battling it out for first while the Rams and Cards battle for 3rd but I guess I don't agree with the conventional wisdom. I realize that the Niners were in the Super Bowl but they got trashed by the Seahawks in one of the bigger games of the year and went 0-1-1 against the Rams last year. The loss was a bit of a fluke but the Rams not winning the tie game was also a bit of a fluke.

Basically, long story short:

Conventional wisdom NFC West predictions look something like:
Seahawks 12-4
Niners 12-4
Rams 7-9
Cardinals 5-11

And I think it'll end up something closer to:

Seahawks 12-4
Niners 9-7
Rams 9-7
Cardinals 7-9

And likely injuries will tank 2 of those records a bit because they always do and you can't really predict that.

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conventional wisdom does point to the Seahawks and Niners battling it out for first while the Rams and Cards battle for 3rd but I guess I don't agree with the conventional wisdom. I realize that the Niners were in the Super Bowl but they got trashed by the Seahawks in one of the bigger games of the year and went 0-1-1 against the Rams last year. The loss was a bit of a fluke but the Rams not winning the tie game was also a bit of a fluke.

Basically, long story short:

Conventional wisdom NFC West predictions look something like:
Seahawks 12-4
Niners 12-4
Rams 7-9
Cardinals 5-11

And I think it'll end up something closer to:

Seahawks 12-4
Niners 9-7
Rams 9-7
Cardinals 7-9

And likely injuries will tank 2 of those records a bit because they always do and you can't really predict that.
d

How is Seattle 3 wins better than SF ? and please show me where the 49ers 7 losses are because I don't see them....... 12-4 is a bit too lofty I think 11-5 could win that division. SF still has the best O line and D line in the division and that should not be taken lightly because that is what gives you consistency.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF still has the best O line and D line in the division and that should not be taken lightly because that is what gives you consistency.
Niners, Seahawks and Rams should all have great olines and dlines. Pending health. You're splitting hairs to come up with the team with the best trenches in the division.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a realistic prediction of this years final standings.

SF 11-5
Sea 10-6
STL 9-7
AZ 7-9

How you could predict the 49ers with 7 losses is beyond me. Possibly wishful thinking but certainly not rooted in reality. Injuries are always the X factor but if all teams stay relatively healthy, this is how I see it playing out.