• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 4 vs. One of the GSU's

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately this is Southern and not State. Although, let's face it, despite just recently getting their first win over an FBS opponent State would be no cake walk for Idaho either.

But before getting into this week's match-up I need to talk about last week's game. Idaho goes up 17-3 in the first quarter with 10 of those points coming off Wofford turnovers. After that the Terriers went on to score TDs on 5 of their next 6 possessions, one of which was a kickoff return where the kicker was the only player making any effort to bring the runner down. The one stop Idaho had during that string? Well Linehan threw an awful pick on the first play after getting it back.

To their credit the Vandal D did get two key stops at the end. But one involved Wofford trying to get cute running the same trick play they ran in the first half while the other involved a Terrier WR dropping a pass on fourth down against a DB who would have committed PI if this had been an NFL game. Yes they won, but they looked absolutely sloppy on defense. They did a decent job covering the dive man on the triple option but absolutely could not contain the pitch man. On top of that Wofford had receivers running wide open when they did choose to throw.

On the offensive side Linehan played an okay game other than three key mistakes. Two were terribly thrown picks and another an over throw that could have been a TD.

This kind of shit may get the job done against FCS Wofford ( no disrespect here, they're a solid team but they're not NDSU) but it won't fly against better competition.

Speaking of better competition.....Georgia Southern is the defending Sun Belt champs. I've mentioned before that they run a triple option, but it operates out of the shotgun the majority of the time unlike the wingbone style option that Wofford runs. Southern also relies on a zone blocking scheme and is not as afraid to take shots down field in the passing game. Oh, and of course the Eagles have a roster filled with better athletes including several SEC transfers. They lost 44-0 to WVU and beat Western Michigan 43-17 without their suspended starting QB and beat down the Citadel 48-13 with him.

Idaho gave up almost 400 yards to Wofford's triple option offense and I expect Southern to exceed that. No confidence in this Idaho defense at all. They're going to need to force turnovers to have a chance in this one which may be tough considering GSU has one turnover in their last two games.

Offensively Idaho needs to score every time they have the ball. Really as simple as that. Trent Cowan had a big game last week and needs to continue his hot streak to take some pressure off Epps. Idaho is averaging something like 3.6 ypc on offense and GSU's pass defense is significantly worse than their run D. All this adds up to Linehan throwing the ball a lot. I'm expecting 50 attempts in this one.

Prediction: Idaho was down 9 at the beginning of the fourth quarter in last year's match-up before a pick 6 took the wind out of their sails culminating in a 47-24 loss. This year I think the offense is better, but the defense is just as bad. I think Idaho starts out poorly again, then rights the ship a bit before the Eagles pull away in the fourth quarter. I initially wanted to say 45-31 GSU but I can't in good conscience pick Idaho to cover. Thus I'll say:

Georgia Southern 48 Idaho 31