• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos take down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the road. 26-7

The Good:
  • Bo Nix had his coming out party. 216 yards in the air. 47 yards and a TD on the ground
  • Defense balled out with 7 sacks and two takeaways
  • Nice to see Mimms with a 27 yard punt return
  • Sean Payton's play calling put Nix in a better position to shine. Loved the RPO's.
  • O-line did a great job of protecting Nix
  • Receivers CAUGHT the ball this week and held on for some decent YAC
  • McLaughlin with a shifty, one-man TD and Badie getting in some good runs
  • Jones with the INT and run back and Moss with the forced fumble
The Bad:
  • Javonte Williams fumble
  • Javonte Williams seems like he might be losing his starting role
  • Nix needs to get a TD in the air!
  • Seeing the team play today raises the question of why they couldn't do more of this in winnable games 1 & 2.
The Ugly:
  • Nothing the Broncos did today was ugly
  • Tampa Bay's game plan and execution

What an awesome week 3. Lessssgoooooo!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mike evans did squat.
PS2 blew him up today just like Latimore did to Evans all those years in NO

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were Back GIF by baverycool

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a coupled of dropped picks that could’ve really hurt Denver but that’s life in NFL sometimes you just get a lucky break. Still a lot of positives after today‘s game.

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they won. 1 W and 2 L is better than 0-3. And let's not forget...John Elway didn't do very well his first three games as a starter in 1983 (they won two of the 3 games because Steve DeBerg relieved john in the late in the third quarters both games. Game 3...Reeves decided to keep Elway in...and they lost that game. If I remember correctly DeBerg became the starter in game 4 and remained there until he was bang up and Elway looked much better when he was back (then he got hurt too and Gary Kubiak took the team for a crucial win over Seattle). Anyway, I think Bo will become a decent QB. He's got the tools.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they won. 1 W and 2 L is better than 0-3. And let's not forget...John Elway didn't do very well his first three games as a starter in 1983 (they won two of the 3 games because Steve DeBerg relieved john in the late in the third quarters both games. Game 3...Reeves decided to keep Elway in...and they lost that game. If I remember correctly DeBerg became the starter in game 4 and remained there until he was bang up and Elway looked much better when he was back (then he got hurt too and Gary Kubiak took the team for a crucial win over Seattle). Anyway, I think Bo will become a decent QB. He's got the tools.
Got that memory - right on the money.

It think it is likely that in Sean Payton's mind - the first two games of the season were all about letting his new QB learn about the NFL - now comes the part where he builds Nix back the way he wants him. Bo Nix gives me the same feeling as Jake Plummer used to give me when he would roll out after the snap and you just knew he would make a positive play on the roll out either passing or running.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nix looked good today. I felt like Payton sorta unleashed him a bit more to what works best for him. He let him use his legs.

I was thrilled to see Troy Franklin with 2 catches. Should have been 4 had Franklin hit him right the other two times but that is fine.

My guys Tyler Badie, Riley Moss and Alex Palcewicz with good games.

PS2 shut Evans down.

Pass rush was great. Bucs don't have a great OL and were without their top OL but still nice to see. I thought Bonitto had a great game. Brandon Jones also had a great game. Hard to find anyone other then maybe Javonte Williams who didn't. Feel sorta bad for Javonte. Don't wanna give up on him for this year but we really need to be a RBBC. I think we need to promote Badie and we probably will this week, IMO. Someone will try and pluck him off our PS and we won't let it happen. Maybe Watson can do on IR. Or Humphrey or Burton can go back on the PS.

Dondrea Tillman looks legit. We saw him do it vs 3rd stringers in PS but he did it today vs first string. Devon Key also played well when called upon today. Locke was a little up and down but overall average.

Really nothing ugly about this game for a change. Good all around game.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wait. I do have "ugly"

Not getting Mims involved.

One catch again.

I understand given Nix's is a rookie that lighting it up down field to Mims may not be high on the agenda early on but he needs more reps. It REALLY irritates me.

I think Payton is messing with his mind a little bit. He made the comment about them not throwing him the ball last year (with a smile) and then had a few moments this camp where he was yelling/frustrated. I think Payton is keeping him grounded early on.. Making him understand the mental side of it. I just hope that is the case and he isn't fully in the doghouse but his lack of targets makes me want to throw my remote at the TV right now.

I was very happy to see Franklin involved.

Vele was a health scratch and it really goes back to what we were talking about, we have so many similar WR's we need Franklin and Mims explosive ability on the field.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O line looked great, especially at RT

I would say especially at all positions. Not just especially at one.

Wattenburg and Bolles had the best grades. Wattenburg is starting to settle in nicely at center. Meinerz, Powers and Palc all had solid games.

I love Palc (Surprised he and Crum weren't drafted and then we end up with both of them( and I am starting to really like Wattenburg. Need to see how consistent these guys can be in time Palc has a great opportunity with McGlinchey out for a bit.

Also, funny how good our defense can be for a complete game if our offense doesn't have a bunch of 3 and outs.

D has been good all year but when they struggled was usually after they were off the field for a short time. Notice their worst possession yesterday was when we fumbled the ball and they didn't get a break. Not to make an excuse but looks like our D is pretty solid barring not giving them rest inbetween possessions.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember week three last year? If not, congratulations! To refresh your memory we gave up 70 points in Florida. (Miami)

This year week 3, we returned to Florida (Tampa) and gave up 10% of those points.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember week three last year? If not, congratulations! To refresh your memory we gave up 70 points in Florida. (Miami)

This year week 3, we returned to Florida (Tampa) and gave up 10% of those points.

Yes, I remember it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say especially at all positions. Not just especially at one.

Wattenburg and Bolles had the best grades. Wattenburg is starting to settle in nicely at center. Meinerz, Powers and Palc all had solid games.

I love Palc (Surprised he and Crum weren't drafted and then we end up with both of them( and I am starting to really like Wattenburg. Need to see how consistent these guys can be in time Palc has a great opportunity with McGlinchey out for a bit.

Also, funny how good our defense can be for a complete game if our offense doesn't have a bunch of 3 and outs.

D has been good all year but when they struggled was usually after they were off the field for a short time. Notice their worst possession yesterday was when we fumbled the ball and they didn't get a break. Not to make an excuse but looks like our D is pretty solid barring not giving them rest in between possessions.
Sean Payton comes from the Bill Parcells school of Head Coaching - he is in - feet first -the brain of every guy on the roster. Watch press conferences he reveals intimate knowledge of the players- Payton drives his players with group psychology and drives individuals with personal psychology.

So, yes - he is working on Mims and at the same time he is setting up future Bronco opponents to have Mims sprung on them all of a sudden. I would say Payton is doing that to Franklin as well. As he builds Nix up in the short and medium game - he will move to the long game with Mims and Franklin as the Broncos head to the playoffs.