• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 2: Denver Broncos at Pittsburgh Steelers

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after a disappoint start to the 2020 the Broncos go on the road to play the Steelers. Ben appeared to not have any issues from his elbow surgery last year, and the Steelers defense shut down Barkley. I think he had more negative running plays then positive running plays, 6 yards on 15 carries is not what you are looking for. The Giants did have some success throwing the ball.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to a tough game. The Steelers are a good team, and it's going to take some toughness to go in and beat them. I actually penciled this in as a loss before the season started, but I also figured the Broncos would win at home against the Titans so what do I know?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillip Lindsay expected to miss 1 week for sure and maybe a few more but not a serious injury. Week to week, sounds doubtful for this week.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrote my preview over on the Steelers forum but why not post it here as well!

This game makes me nervous seeing the Steelers as such a big favorite, especially against a team they have struggled against in recent years. A little surprised the line is so high. Probably has a lot to do with home field advantage. On paper the Steelers are much more talented, but I still expect this game to be closer than the betting previews indicate.

Offense... Obviously the concern here is the Steelers O-line. Will it be reshuffled? Will it get DeCastro back? Lots to shake out there so its a situation to monitor all week. I'm sure protégé Shaun Sarrett will be eager to prove something to his former mentor Munch now that they are standing on opposite sidelines. What better time to prove it than through this much adversity? The 20th ranked Denver defense is led by Chubb & AJ Johnson. But the loss of AJ Bouye really hurts their secondary. I don't see a whole lot of concern with matchups here apart from the O-line. Steelers can approach this game with great balance or even continue the run-heavy approach if Snell can keep his ball security issues bottled up. Ben is going to be shaking off some soreness so I'm sure we'll see some more Randy Fichtner Circus to start the game. Run run dump or dump dump run... yawn

Defense... 7th ranked defense vs. the 22nd ranked offense. Not seeing a lot of concern here either. Honestly I'm keeping my eyes on the Phillip Lindsay injury this week, because he is a much tougher matchup for this defense than Gordon is. Not as much of a nightmare as he used to be because the Steelers edge containment is probably top 3 in the league now. But any time someone with Lindsay's speed gets into the open field against the secondary things get dicey. Speaking of secondary, hopefully they get things figured out back there and put those concerns to bed this week. SS Edmunds is always a liability. Sutton & Jeudy are independently scary on the field, but put them together... Yikes. I could see both doing some real damage this week regardless. Looking forward to the agony of seeing my favorite draft pick Lloyd Cushenberry line up at Center for the Broncos. I'll die a little inside if I see Munchak smirking on the sidelines lol.

Closer game, but talent should prevail. And I pray to the football Gods that the Steelers ST unit gets itself sorted out this week. Christ.

STEELERS 24 - BRONCOS 20

Feel free to stop by our game thread on the Steelers forum! :suds:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrote my preview over on the Steelers forum but why not post it here as well!

Feel free to stop by our game thread on the Steelers forum! :suds:

Why stop by that game thread, you got free popcorn over there?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why stop by that game thread, you got free popcorn over there?
Because it smells like Uncle Terry over there lately... musty

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillip Lindsay expected to miss 1 week for sure and maybe a few more but not a serious injury. Week to week, sounds doubtful for this week.
Thats OK I'd rather see Denver commit to one workhorse this game.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with what you posted here - let Lock and Gordon get in sync.

It did make me think though - Royce Freemen looked like he really had something to prove on his snaps.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah as long as Gordon stays healthy I don't think this is a huge loss for the short time. Rather not see it linger though because we need to spell Gordon and having both makes us that much better. I think we can spare a few game without him and let Gordon carry the loaf with Freeman fine to back him up. Good opportunity for Freeman to show we can count on him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers are dealing with some injuries themselves.

JuJu and Diontae Johnson have been limited but both will play.
James Conner seems to be more of a question mark, but like Denver with Lindsay/Gordon they have two solid backs so I don't think one being out hurts them much. Snell could be the better RB there anyway.

For us to have any chance in this game we really have to put the pressure on Ben. We can't get our hands on him and let him escape. They have a lot of speed at WR with Johnson, JuJu and James Washington. It will be tough for our young rookies, we will find out if they are ready to hang with the speed of the NFL WR's thus far. Last week the bigger WR AJ Brown didn't hurt us while the speedier Corey Davis did. I think our secondary is build on physicality and speed WR's could be an issue for us.

It will be pretty tough to run the ball on Pitt too as they have probably the best run D in the NFL. Drew Lock needs to have a good game and we need to get our WR's involved more in this game then against the Titans. Sutton's status will be interesting. We really need him. Steelers pass D while not bad is the key to beating them because their Run D is so good.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now my score prediction is

Steelers 27
Broncos 17

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillip Lindsay did not practice today and appears to be out this week, which we already knew for the most part.

Courtland Sutton remains questionable but he had a good practice today apparently and had no setbacks. Good news! Has a chance to play this week.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A legit question for Broncos fans out there. And don't get upset over it. Going back to last year the Boncos have now lost 4 games in the final 30 seconds.

Vance Joseph was blasted for his coaching abilities. Now my question. Why isn't Fangio getting blasted for not being able to close out games? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A legit question for Broncos fans out there. And don't get upset over it. Going back to last year the Boncos have now lost 4 games in the final 30 seconds.

Vance Joseph was blasted for his coaching abilities. Now my question. Why isn't Fangio getting blasted for not being able to close out games? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Because I like him better. ;) No, you are correct on that, but Fangio is a defensive genius (more than Joseph) and I think he has more respect from Elway and the players.