• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 2: Denver Broncos at Jacksonville Jaguars

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more i think about it the more these NFL coaches just don’t get it.

here is Jax just drafted the next great QB prospect since Andrew Luck and just like Indy had a opportunity to protect the franchise with another 1st round pick yet they select the diminutive RB when they have a top 2nd year back.

just me but i’m selecting Olineman to protect TL
not supplement an existing position that most teams wait on.

Plus not a fan of Meyer to begin with

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more i think about it the more these NFL coaches just don’t get it.

here is Jax just drafted the next great QB prospect since Andrew Luck and just like Indy had a opportunity to protect the franchise with another 1st round pick yet they select the diminutive RB when they have a top 2nd year back.

just me but i’m selecting Olineman to protect TL
not supplement an existing position that most teams wait on.

Plus not a fan of Meyer to begin with
Totally agree with this. Oline is the second most important position as it is really the key to a QB's success. While I love Chase the Bengals should have taken a tackle to protect Burrow. Don't like Meyer either and think he will ultimately fail and will do a disservice to Lawrence.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with this. Oline is the second most important position as it is really the key to a QB's success. While I love Chase the Bengals should have taken a tackle to protect Burrow. Don't like Meyer either and think he will ultimately fail and will do a disservice to Lawrence.
Didn't Cincy take an OT in the 2nd round? I am sure Burrow wanted Chase to be selected. Make your QB happy. They can draft an OL next year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These teams need to address OL in free agency and value in draft. I know the bad teams can’t get it all done in one swoop. Free Agency is for need, draft is for value.

Graham Glasgow out as expected this week.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFT on the subject of Meyer:
Broncos defensive end Dre'Mont Jones spent five years playing for Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and on Sunday Jones will see Meyer again when the Broncos play the Jaguars. And Jones has some advice for his old college coach: Change your ways in the NFL.

Jones said there’s always an adjustment period from college football to the NFL, but he said Meyer in particular may struggle because Meyer doesn’t relate to players the way grown men expect their coaches to relate to them.

“Going from college to pros is always difficult no matter what the level is, whether coaching or playing,” Jones said. “Especially because a lot of his philosophies are college-based, and you can’t do that with 30-plus men or even 25-plus men who have been around the league and know what they’re doing now and are well established. You got to shake things up in how you coach.”

Asked if he’s surprised to hear stories that Meyer isn’t clicking with veteran players in Jacksonville, Jones said that’s no surprise based on his own experience with Meyer.

“Am I surprised by it? No,” Jones said. “I just know how he is. I’m not going to go into great detail about it, but no, it doesn’t surprise me.”

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFT on the subject of Meyer:
Broncos defensive end Dre'Mont Jones spent five years playing for Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and on Sunday Jones will see Meyer again when the Broncos play the Jaguars. And Jones has some advice for his old college coach: Change your ways in the NFL.

Jones said there’s always an adjustment period from college football to the NFL, but he said Meyer in particular may struggle because Meyer doesn’t relate to players the way grown men expect their coaches to relate to them.

“Going from college to pros is always difficult no matter what the level is, whether coaching or playing,” Jones said. “Especially because a lot of his philosophies are college-based, and you can’t do that with 30-plus men or even 25-plus men who have been around the league and know what they’re doing now and are well established. You got to shake things up in how you coach.”

Asked if he’s surprised to hear stories that Meyer isn’t clicking with veteran players in Jacksonville, Jones said that’s no surprise based on his own experience with Meyer.

“Am I surprised by it? No,” Jones said. “I just know how he is. I’m not going to go into great detail about it, but no, it doesn’t surprise me.”
I read this earlier and today and was a bit surprised by Jones comment about "players not clicking with Urban", each player is different and has a different experience but Urban has always been known as a players coach. When he coaches at Florida I knew a lot of players on the Urban coached Florida team and they LOVED Urban. Even the guys that transferred because of playing time... When Urban left Florida had a lot of transfers (which isn't uncommon when any coach leaves) but I was surprised to read Jones' comment because of my interaction with Florida players who played under him. This was the first I had heard something like this from a player he coached in college. But everyone's experience is different I guess. He always seemed to have a good relationship with his players and have their backs (some cases he had their back "too much", when you learn of several things that were swept under the rug at Florida under him)

I've never felt like the NFL was for Urban Meyer. I don't think it is a good fit. I don't know that Urban is cut out for the business end of the NFL. I don't think players will be as fond of Urban from a business side like the recruiting side of college football. I honestly never though I would see Urban move on to the NFL but after the assistant coach abuse issue it almost seemed like a plunge/offer he had to take. I think there may be too much backlash for him to return to college football. I always liked Urban from a standpoint that he coached Florida and won two national championships but I will be honest.... It is hard to root for him when he isn't on your favorite teams sideline.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These teams need to address OL in free agency and value in draft. I know the bad teams can’t get it all done in one swoop. Free Agency is for need, draft is for value.

Graham Glasgow out as expected this week.
Time to see if Muti is all people are making him out to be.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like Rashawn Slater is playing at a high level. Who's protecting Burrows? Denver had Slater slotted as one of their potential #9 pick. Maybe the 2nd choice had PS2 gone earlier.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might actually argue with you that OL is the most important position. Obviously you need a good QB for the most part to do well in the NFL minus a dominating defense but no QB really functions well without a good OL. Like a CB is only as good as his pass rush, same goes for a QB without his OL.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like Rashawn Slater is playing at a high level. Who's protecting Burrows? Denver had Slater slotted as one of their potential #9 pick. Maybe the 2nd choice had PS2 gone earlier.

Bengals have Jonas Williams who was their first round pick 3 years ago. Signed Free agent OT Riley Reiff, an ok stop gap but not a long term solution there. They reached for Jackson Carman in the draft, who IMO went higher then he should have. Little too early to say Rashawn Slater is playing at a high level beings he has only played one NFL game but not taking an OL where they picked in round 1 with good value was surely a head scratcher but in fairness they got a heck of a talent at WR at a position they surely needed... Just hard to pass on an OL that early. I would have passed on Slater for Chase but I don't think I would have passed on Sewell. I don't really have an issue with them taking Chase over Slater based on value going into the draft but passing on Sewell would have been tough if I was a Bengals fan.

I really don't have a problem with the Jax taking Etienne where they did. It is easy to nitpick the draft once it is done and over with and we see the actual outcome. But the value at OT where they picked was not there. Can't reach in round 1 to fill a position you need to pass over talent. Sure, Etienne is on IR but at the time of the draft and the future it is hard to scold the Jags for doing what they did there. The next OT taken after Etienne was selected wasn't until 7th pick of Round 2 and it was Teven Jenkins a guy who had red flag injury concerns in which he could miss most of this season with. Jenkins had offseason back surgery and is now on the Bears IR. The next two OT's after that selected were Liam Eichenburg and Walker Little. A huge difference in value between Etienne and those two. I understand wanting and needing an OT but in the Jags case I won't criticize them one bit for their decision on draft day. You can't just fill positions and take guys you aren't high on or have major concerns on. Walker Little was a guy who went much higher then expected after a poor season..

Let's also remember that the Raiders reached on Alex Leatherwood at pick #17 and the dude had a really bad week 1.... He was constantly flagged in college and was so in his first NFL game if we are going to go off one game.

I would much rather Travis Etienne then Alex Leatherwood who the Raiders reached for at pick #17. I am all for taking an OT early but it has to be someone who I am confident in that can help my football team. If I am way more confident in Etienne, then I selected him. I think fans gets too caught up in taking position of need over value when it comes to the draft.

In the case of the Bengals it is a little hard to defend but I also get it. They had a top grade on Chase and maybe not quite as high on Sewell who if you remember surprisingly started to fall the weeks before the draft.

I think where my problem is with Jax and Cincinnati is not addressing these position in free agency so you aren't forced to reach for a player in the draft you may not like as much just to fill a position.

In fairness to those teams they aren't exactly the most appealing to the top free agents out there and free agency wasn't exactly heavy at the OL position.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to see if Muti is all people are making him out to be.
Or at least give him the live fire. It’s all about growth. Get him on tape and coach him up.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or at least give him the live fire. It’s all about growth. Get him on tape and coach him up.
Muti started one game last year and didn't allow a sack or have a penalty, so there is hope.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muti started one game last year and didn't allow a sack or have a penalty, so there is hope.

I always imagined him being a road grader extraordinaire in the run game.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muti had a good offseason. I think it will be nice to see him get an opportunity. Not at the expense of Glasgow's health issue but still... He could save us some money next year if he plays well.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muti had a good offseason. I think it will be nice to see him get an opportunity. Not at the expense of Glasgow's health issue but still... He could save us some money next year if he plays well.
Glasgow won't be here next year. So they are counting on Muti.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints tried several times to trade for Kyle Fuller
- Ian Rapport

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go Broncos - Here we go!

Time for the Denver Broncos to tune up the offense and refine the defense - and near the end of the game - have mercy on Urban Myer's soul.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhhhhh, a little more of the Jacksonville from last week please. Defense looks super shaky on that first drive.