• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 13 Zac Taylor NonParticipation Trophy

Which Bengal will you be glad you didn't watch against the Dolphins?

• Zac Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brandon Allen

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bobby Hart

• A.J. Green

• Michael Jordan

• Other: Specify in comments

• Total voters

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, to be honest, I didn't watch a single snap of the Bengals yesterday. I did watch the Buckeye basketball team struggle with UMass-Lowell, which was disappointing, but they still put it together in the end and won the game. Then I forced my family to walk to the park, because it was sort of warmish yesterday and it's cold and rainy today, and supposed to snow all night. Get out the house, right?

It's one thing for a team to stink. We've stunk all year, willed to competitiveness by Joe Burrow being good at football before his knee got obliterated. Now he's gone, and it's the rest of the team that has to perform. This is when a coach earns his paycheck. I could coach Joe Burrow to throw to the open guy every play. I couldn't coach Brandon Allen into being a competent quarterback. Neither can Zac Taylor. Nor can he get a decent performance out of the rest of the team. On a day when we started a guy from the practice squad, we gave Gio 8 carries. Perine got no carries. Taylor apparently felt the key to victory was on the arm of his practice squad QB, because he hasn't bothered to establish a run game all season. That resulted in the offense getting a grand total of 155 yards, just 43 more than the Broncos, who were down four quarterbacks and started a receiver. We were down one quarterback, and the result was more or less the same.

I don't normally put the coaches in here, not because they are good, but because I don't want it to be the coach every week. But per the Athletic, Taylor's winning percentage is .173, fifth worst in NFL history among coaches with a comparable number of games. It's going to get worse, but I don't know if it's going to get better.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to learn to protect the ball.

finally finding a groove after the game is basically well out of hand brandon fumbles away his last opportunity.

this game looked much closer than it was.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I want to let AJ Green, John Ross, Geno Atkins and William Jackson go. Save that money and go for a few more guys in Free Agency.

Get rid of Lou Anarumo, and hire Matt Patricia to be the defensive coordinator.

Draft Ja'Marr Chase #3 overall and solidify Burrow's pass catchers for the next 5 to 8 years (Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Tate).

Spend FA money on OL, DE and LB. We will have Waynes back next year, along with Alexander, Phillips...and hopefully a 2nd round CB.

Offensive Line:
LT FA
LG Spain
C Hopkins
RG Su'a-Filo
RT Williams

With Adeniji, Johnson and Price as backups. I think a really good LT along with a year of Spain in the system and a healthy Su'a-Filo can really help that line. Plus, move Williams to the side that is not Burrow's blind side.

Defensive Line:
DE Hubbard
DT Daniels
DT Reader
DE FA

Sign Jamis Winston in the offseason to be our starting QB until Burrow is healthy and ready to go and then he can be the backup to Burrow following that. Give him a chance to rebuild his brand and look for a starting gig somewhere else in the league. With the Jets and the Jags almost certainly going Lawrence and then Fields, Winston's starting gig opportunities start to dwindle.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I want to let AJ Green, John Ross, Geno Atkins and William Jackson go. Save that money and go for a few more guys in Free Agency.

Get rid of Lou Anarumo, and hire Matt Patricia to be the defensive coordinator.

Draft Ja'Marr Chase #3 overall and solidify Burrow's pass catchers for the next 5 to 8 years (Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Tate).

Spend FA money on OL, DE and LB. We will have Waynes back next year, along with Alexander, Phillips...and hopefully a 2nd round CB.

Offensive Line:
LT FA
LG Spain
C Hopkins
RG Su'a-Filo
RT Williams

With Adeniji, Johnson and Price as backups. I think a really good LT along with a year of Spain in the system and a healthy Su'a-Filo can really help that line. Plus, move Williams to the side that is not Burrow's blind side.

Defensive Line:
DE Hubbard
DT Daniels
DT Reader
DE FA

Sign Jamis Winston in the offseason to be our starting QB until Burrow is healthy and ready to go and then he can be the backup to Burrow following that. Give him a chance to rebuild his brand and look for a starting gig somewhere else in the league. With the Jets and the Jags almost certainly going Lawrence and then Fields, Winston's starting gig opportunities start to dwindle.
That's not a bad plan. I tend to agree for the most part. AJ, Ross, and Jackson are all F/A after the season - and maybe Atkins? I can't remember. But, I agree. Free up the cap - they all walk or are released.

I also agree with adding more pass catching talent. It is 100% obvious that Burrow has the ability to sling it 30+ times a game - and the more talent on the edges stretching the field, the better the offense will be.

I also agree with going the F/A route on OL - Get guys you KNOW can get the job done. Pay for the experience and the production. Use the draft to supplement the depth. I would add another big DT to rotate in - and I think you are forgetting about Lawson at the other DE spot - but depth will be required.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad plan. I tend to agree for the most part. AJ, Ross, and Jackson are all F/A after the season - and maybe Atkins? I can't remember. But, I agree. Free up the cap - they all walk or are released.

I also agree with adding more pass catching talent. It is 100% obvious that Burrow has the ability to sling it 30+ times a game - and the more talent on the edges stretching the field, the better the offense will be.

I also agree with going the F/A route on OL - Get guys you KNOW can get the job done. Pay for the experience and the production. Use the draft to supplement the depth. I would add another big DT to rotate in - and I think you are forgetting about Lawson at the other DE spot - but depth will be required.
Not forgetting Lawson, just think he is better off as an OLB edge rusher. Standing up instead of crouched. He is so damn fast, you can take advantage of his speed by not putting him in a 3 point stance.

Dupree and Hubbard off the edges, along with Lawson off the edge. I am okay with our DT depth even without Atkins if Daniels is retained and Reader is healthy. Next year we have Tupou and Wren coming back, plus I have not been overly upset with Covington and Bledsoe.

I wouldn't mind Trent Williams for LT or Villanueva from Pitt. Several players up for renewal with Pittsburgh, and Watt is going to get a kings ransom if he is not franchised. Which means, Pitt has to make a decision on money with JuJu, Dupree and Villanueva up for contract renewals also. Really wouldn't mind stealing from the division rich a little.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, to be honest, I didn't watch a single snap of the Bengals yesterday. I did watch the Buckeye basketball team struggle with UMass-Lowell, which was disappointing, but they still put it together in the end and won the game. Then I forced my family to walk to the park, because it was sort of warmish yesterday and it's cold and rainy today, and supposed to snow all night. Get out the house, right?

It's one thing for a team to stink. We've stunk all year, willed to competitiveness by Joe Burrow being good at football before his knee got obliterated. Now he's gone, and it's the rest of the team that has to perform. This is when a coach earns his paycheck. I could coach Joe Burrow to throw to the open guy every play. I couldn't coach Brandon Allen into being a competent quarterback. Neither can Zac Taylor. Nor can he get a decent performance out of the rest of the team. On a day when we started a guy from the practice squad, we gave Gio 8 carries. Perine got no carries. Taylor apparently felt the key to victory was on the arm of his practice squad QB, because he hasn't bothered to establish a run game all season. That resulted in the offense getting a grand total of 155 yards, just 43 more than the Broncos, who were down four quarterbacks and started a receiver. We were down one quarterback, and the result was more or less the same.

I don't normally put the coaches in here, not because they are good, but because I don't want it to be the coach every week. But per the Athletic, Taylor's winning percentage is .173, fifth worst in NFL history among coaches with a comparable number of games. It's going to get worse, but I don't know if it's going to get better.

Anyone notice that Zac Taylor's magical offense has only worked when being quarterbacked by a battered, bruised and ultimately broken Joe Burrow? A coach that his hired due to his offensive chops really needs to show better than he did yesterday - They weren't playing the Ravens or Steelers. This was the Giants. If you don't have a backup qb, then go and get one..... But, a good offensive mind certainly would get more out of the back-up than Taylor got out of the boys yesterday.

BTW - I love Tyler Boyd, but I think he took the day off yesterday. Looks like he was making some business decisions out there when going across the middle.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone notice that Zac Taylor's magical offense has only worked when being quarterbacked by a battered, bruised and ultimately broken Joe Burrow? A coach that his hired due to his offensive chops really needs to show better than he did yesterday - They weren't playing the Ravens or Steelers. This was the Giants. If you don't have a backup qb, then go and get one..... But, a good offensive mind certainly would get more out of the back-up than Taylor got out of the boys yesterday.

BTW - I love Tyler Boyd, but I think he took the day off yesterday. Looks like he was making some business decisions out there when going across the middle.
Absolutely. I have very little faith this team can really improve. They haven't shown any improvement at all outside of Burrow. So I don't know that we should expect that to change.