• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 12 Michael Jordan NonParticipation Trophy

Which Bengal will embarrass Joe Burrow's doctors against the Giants?

• Michael Jordan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan Finley

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Bobby Hart

• A.J. Green

• William Jackson

• Other: Specify in comments

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was a bummer. The Bengals started the day with several games against trash opponents. There was actually a bit of joy in watching them, knowing they might get a win. The game was actually kind of good for a half, and Burrow was having his way and the defense actually looked like a competent outfit. All was good, until Michael Jordan road Jonathan Allen into Burrow's knee, and now here we are. It's a feeling we know well in Bengaldom. No hope and no fun. There's not much reason to watch any more Bengal games this season, and I'm not sure I will. But at least we can share in the misery.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose em all, and try to draft Sewell

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lose em all, and try to draft Sewell
What do we do with all the other guys at LT that is the only position suited for them that they play decent at? Williams, Johnson, Adeniji? I am not opposed to the best offensive lineman in the draft, but that was also Jonah Williams at one point.

Damn it. I was really really wanting Ja'Marr Chase from LSU, but now we are going to be getting rid of Green, Ross, Atkins, drafting a LT and having 3 other LT's sitting on the bench that can't play anywhere else. Gotta sink money into OL and DL.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams would be a candidate for RT if he has the brains to adjust.

the other 2 have played Guard.

those are trench positions and as a player you need to adjust and be adaptable as things get rough having to sumo wrestle defensive athletes on every down.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From here on out the award goes to Zach Taylor - his lack of paying attention to the roster around him cost Joe Burrow his knee.

There can be no other choice, IMO.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole team should just get covid so they can sit out the season. who wants to throw a party?

Reactions: gob

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From here on out the award goes to Zach Taylor - his lack of paying attention to the roster around him cost Joe Burrow his knee.

There can be no other choice, IMO.

I'm with you. Taylor can get fucked. I especially hated his attitude after he lost his quarterback - As if the media are asking him mean questions about his abysmal handling of Burrow.

MaximumSam

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Brandon Allen getting the start at QB. Who?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. Taylor can get fucked. I especially hated his attitude after he lost his quarterback - As if the media are asking him mean questions about his abysmal handling of Burrow.
I actually agreed with Taylor and his response. I thought the offensive line had gotten better as the year progressed, and I also think that even though he had Burrow throwing the ball a lot, it was quick throws to ward off pass rush. Freak thing because of t he two defensive players meeting at the QB, one going high, one going low. Individually both probably would have not hurt Burrow in that respect, but together they were devastating.

I know I am in the minority, but I agreed with Taylor. However, I am in the majority when it comes to my feelings about Burrows injury. Sickening, makes me mad as hell, and uncomfortable about the his future.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Lord - Alexander is awful at CB. He talks a lot, and does very little. Just watched him watch McCoy dive for extra yards because Alexander apparently couldn't be bothered with the task of making an actual tackle.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Lord - Alexander is awful at CB. He talks a lot, and does very little. Just watched him watch McCoy dive for extra yards because Alexander apparently couldn't be bothered with the task of making an actual tackle.

can't say I blame him. tackling hurts, and it makes people mad.
of course, I'm 50, so pretty much half of what I do hurts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agreed with Taylor and his response. I thought the offensive line had gotten better as the year progressed, and I also think that even though he had Burrow throwing the ball a lot, it was quick throws to ward off pass rush. Freak thing because of t he two defensive players meeting at the QB, one going high, one going low. Individually both probably would have not hurt Burrow in that respect, but together they were devastating.

I know I am in the minority, but I agreed with Taylor. However, I am in the majority when it comes to my feelings about Burrows injury. Sickening, makes me mad as hell, and uncomfortable about the his future.

I guess his hands were somewhat tied, he wants to do what gives us the best chance to win, and that is to let our best player do his thing.

but nearly everyone who is watching NFL knew this would happen eventually, we just hoped it wouldn't be this bad.
maybe zac was just hoping it wouldn't happen.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess his hands were somewhat tied, he wants to do what gives us the best chance to win, and that is to let our best player do his thing.

but nearly everyone who is watching NFL knew this would happen eventually, we just hoped it wouldn't be this bad.
maybe zac was just hoping it wouldn't happen.

When he lost Mixon, I think he was upping the pass to try and win. Granted, he is still pass happy with Burrow, and I can't say I blame him either. Burrow is the only reason to even watch this team. Since that is the case, you protect him, but I also think I am not willing to spend a 3rd overall pick on a LT, while Sewell is a great college player, he also has two large knee racks on and he has not even got to the pros yet. Just way too much of a risk, which is why I go the other way, spend the money on a veteran LT in FA, and go for the WR in the draft. Burrow is too important to leave the blind side to a rookie LT anymore.

FA should be the following: QB Jamis Winston, LT Trent Williams, LB Lavonte David, DE Bud Dupree

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he lost Mixon, I think he was upping the pass to try and win. Granted, he is still pass happy with Burrow, and I can't say I blame him either. Burrow is the only reason to even watch this team. Since that is the case, you protect him, but I also think I am not willing to spend a 3rd overall pick on a LT, while Sewell is a great college player, he also has two large knee racks on and he has not even got to the pros yet. Just way too much of a risk, which is why I go the other way, spend the money on a veteran LT in FA, and go for the WR in the draft. Burrow is too important to leave the blind side to a rookie LT anymore.

FA should be the following: QB Jamis Winston, LT Trent Williams, LB Lavonte David, DE Bud Dupree
This was an issue before Mixon was hurt, too.

ZT relies WAY too much on the passing game considering the OL that they put together. They also had games where the Bengals had a decent YPC in running the ball and yet still went away from it as the game went along. He was a TERRIBLE OC while at UC and his game management has not improved in the slightest since those years.

All we can hope for is that he keeps losing and the Management realizes that he'll have the worst start to his Bengals career than any other coach - even shula had more wins at this point. We hope that Minn keeps losing and fires Zimmer - and there is a reunion of some kind. Either as coach or as DC with someone like Bienemy getting a chance with mentorship from MZ.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an issue before Mixon was hurt, too.

ZT relies WAY too much on the passing game considering the OL that they put together. They also had games where the Bengals had a decent YPC in running the ball and yet still went away from it as the game went along. He was a TERRIBLE OC while at UC and his game management has not improved in the slightest since those years.

All we can hope for is that he keeps losing and the Management realizes that he'll have the worst start to his Bengals career than any other coach - even shula had more wins at this point. We hope that Minn keeps losing and fires Zimmer - and there is a reunion of some kind. Either as coach or as DC with someone like Bienemy getting a chance with mentorship from MZ.

I know Taylor throws too much. I think he is buying into pass happy league too much. Mixon is a solid player and needs more reps. I know Taylor is supplementing the run game with WR and RB screens, but sometime you just have to run down hill to keep the defense honest. I think our run game was only as effective as it was because we would go 4 wide, maybe 5 so often, along with throwing the ball 45 times a game, that defenses were playing mostly nickle to dime packages trying to take the big boys off the field. Mixon gets the ball in his hands with no one in his way like a FB, defense sitting in pass coverage, he is going to get a better YPC. Taylor was using the pass to set up the run, where as most coaches use the run to set up the pass. Problem with this is that Taylor runs too often on 2nd down. He needs to mix that up a little bit.

We can't hope Taylor loses enough to get his ass out of here, because that means that Burrow is not winning, and then eventually he becomes Bengalized and is worthless. I love the relationship that Taylor has with Burrow, as Burrow gets a ton of say so, he is happy, and he gets to throw the ball like he likes. Just have to hope Taylor continues to grow as a coach as Burrow does a player, because with a shiny new toy not used to the losing, we have to start winning before Burrow treats this as a paycheck instead of maintaining that drive to win at all costs.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think Sewell has knee problems because of the knee braces? My understanding is that there are several coaches in college that require knee braces on their offensive lineman. I've never heard he has any issues at all - Could be a coaches decision or maybe he's protecting the investment.... I mean, the braces aren't stopping him from dominating the college competition, so maybe he figure he'll wear them in the event he gets tangled up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Taylor throws too much. I think he is buying into pass happy league too much. Mixon is a solid player and needs more reps. I know Taylor is supplementing the run game with WR and RB screens, but sometime you just have to run down hill to keep the defense honest. I think our run game was only as effective as it was because we would go 4 wide, maybe 5 so often, along with throwing the ball 45 times a game, that defenses were playing mostly nickle to dime packages trying to take the big boys off the field. Mixon gets the ball in his hands with no one in his way like a FB, defense sitting in pass coverage, he is going to get a better YPC. Taylor was using the pass to set up the run, where as most coaches use the run to set up the pass. Problem with this is that Taylor runs too often on 2nd down. He needs to mix that up a little bit.

We can't hope Taylor loses enough to get his ass out of here, because that means that Burrow is not winning, and then eventually he becomes Bengalized and is worthless. I love the relationship that Taylor has with Burrow, as Burrow gets a ton of say so, he is happy, and he gets to throw the ball like he likes. Just have to hope Taylor continues to grow as a coach as Burrow does a player, because with a shiny new toy not used to the losing, we have to start winning before Burrow treats this as a paycheck instead of maintaining that drive to win at all costs.
Yes, but you are forgetting - Taylor could just lose out the rest of this season and could be canned, not costing Burrow any additional "losses".

A. The management will look to shift blame for the Burrow injury and the OL to Taylor and his staff - as they were the ones "in control" of the roster

B. He will have one of the worst all-time starts to a coaching career with just 4 wins based off the number of games coached. That's worse than any other Bengals coach in history - and is one of the worst all-time in NFL history. He's just the 9th coach EVER to win only 4 games through his first 27 games. At 5 more games, and 5 more losses, that would put him at 4-27-1 over his first 32 games.

To put that record in perspective - Zach Taylor would be the WORST head coach in the modern NFL at that point based on number of games he was allowed to coach. At that point he would have just 4 wins in 32 games. The next closest coach with that few wins and at least "close" as many games coached would be Richard Williamson from 1990-91 who was 4-15 (only 19 games - as every other coach is usually fired loooong before they are allowed to coach 20+ games with so few wins).

To find a coach who was allowed to coach for (near) as many games and as few wins you would have to go back to 1966 - 1968 for Norb Hecker who went 4-26-1. To find someone who did WORSE you'd have to go back to 1943 - 1951 and Phil Handler who went 4-34. At that point, Taylor would be the 2nd losing-est coach in NFL history based on the amount of games coached compared to number of wins.