• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We coulda been a contender. We coulda been a somebody.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something tells me Vlade knows someone there (maybe even Luke) who had a heads up.

Possibly, maybe even probably. I doubt Vlade had any direct contact with Luke prior to "whatever the fuck happened" because it would be tampering if he contacted Luke directly while he was still under contract with the Lakers.

Most likely scenario, someone from the Kings contacted Luke's agent to gauge his interest and were told that he would be very interested.

With as quickly as everything happened, that contact was likely made well before the end of the regular season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he sucked in LA. Why should I believe he'll do any better with the Kings?

Uh, no he didn't. That statement shows that you have no clue what happened with the Lakers.

The Lakers had a bunch of kids and castoffs for his first 2 seasons and got them to improve significantly. When the injuries hit, the Lakers were the #4 seed and were a top 10 team in the league in defensive efficiency. People were starting to say they would make the WCF.

Absolutely nothing that has happened to the Lakers this season was Luke's fault.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely nothing that has happened to the Lakers this season was Luke's fault.
Walton could have put on a jersey, proclaimed himself player/coach, and led the Lakers to a title on the court.

But he didn't.

Last edited:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be this dumb. That ship has sailed. In plain English I asked you to name a better choice than Walton, given Joerger being gone (even if that was a mistake which it probably was). Since you cannot, you prove my point for me which is that Walton is probably the best choice (given the firing of Joerger).

I know it's not being a Kings fan that makes you dumb, because @Bolts isn't dumb
giphy.gif

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have stick with Joerger. He's a much better coach than Walton.
We really don't know that, the Lakers kept getting better in Walton's 3 seasons. Improving on defense which has been a weakness for the Kings for years and running a fast pace which is perfect for this team. Had LeBron not gotten hurt they might have reached the 2nd round or WCF despite not having a great roster overall. Maybe it falls apart anyways but their season was going well up until that point.
The Kings took a big step forward this year and Joerger did help that happen but Mark Jackson got fired after reaching the playoffs and the next year his old team won a title. People were upset at Vlade for trading Boogie for a draft pick and some guy named Buddy but I think that has worked out well, time will tell if this was a good decision or not.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good franchises make good decisions. Dumb franchises make dumb decisions.

Just when it looked like the Kings might be building something decent...

Luken Walton is a good coach and is perfect for a young core of players

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worked great for the Lakers.
Thar wasnt Luke's fault. He was set up for failure. Lebron can take it to the basket every time, but should've been surrounded with some shooters. Walton will have his team running and shooting like the Warriors

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no he didn't. That statement shows that you have no clue what happened with the Lakers.

The Lakers had a bunch of kids and castoffs for his first 2 seasons and got them to improve significantly. When the injuries hit, the Lakers were the #4 seed and were a top 10 team in the league in defensive efficiency. People were starting to say they would make the WCF.

Walton was set up for failure with a team of non shooters

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton's a good coach, good on the Kings for getting him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think too many NBA coaches are recycled without giving other guys a try.

I would reach out to some assistants that are hard working, have fresh ideas, and will really throw themselves into a job- especially for a team like the Kings. In a way- Walton is kind of like that type of guy except with some good experience.

Walton was not the right guy to coach a team with LEBron James, but he is not a bad option for a young team.

As i have said before, I always really liked MAlone when he was on the Cavs as an assistant. I was pretty sure he would become a good head coach and he has become an excellent one in Denver. He is the type of guy I hope the Cavs hire.
Can't say I know much about him but keep hearing good things about Jordy Fernandez.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly, maybe even probably. I doubt Vlade had any direct contact with Luke prior to "whatever the fuck happened" because it would be tampering if he contacted Luke directly while he was still under contract with the Lakers.

Most likely scenario, someone from the Kings contacted Luke's agent to gauge his interest and were told that he would be very interested.

With as quickly as everything happened, that contact was likely made well before the end of the regular season.
agree this probably likely, though nothing wrong with Luke calling Vlade, right?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree this probably likely, though nothing wrong with Luke calling Vlade, right?

I'm not sure. I don't think Vlade would be allowed to discuss him working for the Kings while under contract with the Lakers, even if Luke was the one who initiated the contact.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure. I don't think Vlade would be allowed to discuss him working for the Kings while under contract with the Lakers, even if Luke was the one who initiated the contact.
I'm sure that's the case, but if Luke called him no way to prove what they talked about....guessing this happens all the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that's the case, but if Luke called him no way to prove what they talked about....guessing this happens all the time.

No doubt. I doubt it was Luke calling Vlade directly or vice versa.

More likely that Vlade had an underling contact someone from Luke's agents office to see if Luke might be interested in the Kings.

Either that or, Luke's agent had one of his underlings contact someone from the Kings to gauge their interest.

Either way, there was obviously some contact and some sort of agreement had been reached. Don't see how things could happen this fast otherwise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the hire, quite honestly. Imo Luke really didn't get a fair shot here...

Did Joerger get a fair shot with the Kings? He just led them to a 12 game improvement and their best record since '05/'06.