• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We Are Attempting to Retain Fangio

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A league source said the Bears denied a request from the Bengals to interview defensive coordinator Vic Fangio for an expected opening on their staff.

Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther is expected to join Jon Gruden with the Raiders.

Fangio, the Bears defensive coordinator under John Fox for three seasons, remains in the mix for the Bears’ head coach vacancy. On Wednesday, Fangio was the first candidate to interview for that job with general manager Ryan Pace.

However, Fangio will be free to meet with other teams, including the Bengals, beginning Tuesday. At that point the Bears will not be able to block Fangio because both his three-year contract and the grace period at the end of the season that prevents coaches from bolting immediately without permission will have expired.

The NFC North rival Packers are expected to be interested in meeting with Fangio as coach Mike McCarthy looks to replace defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Multiple sources have indicated the Bears have potential interest in retaining Fangio, 59, if they go in a different direction at head coach. It’s unknown how Fangio would react to an opportunity to remain in place working for a head coach who was hired instead of him after three solid seasons in Chicago. The Bears defense finished this season ranked seventh against the pass, ninth in points allowed, 10th in total defense and 11th against the run. They tied for 13th with 22 takeaways.

The Bears interviewed Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo on Saturday morning and are expected to meet with Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy on Sunday. They already have interviewed Fangio, Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards, Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

If the coaching search at Halas Hall stretches out another week or more, it’s possible that it could become more difficult to keep Fangio given he’ll likely have opportunities he needs to accept or decline by then.

I think we might be looking at DeFilippo as HC, getting the reigns of the offense. With Fangio the complete and total leader of the defense. Not bad.

Although, I kind of wish Fangio got the HC position, because a jump from QB coach to HC is a bit drastic. However, the market dictates Filippo will land a HC job. So, we have no choice if we really want the guy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per @aaronlemingnfl

*IF* the #Bears retain DC Vic Fangio, you can thank the HC interview on Wednesday for that.

Was told not only did the interview go well but it allowed Pace & Fangio to get a better long-term feel for each other, which could help convince Fangio to stay.

Have been told that if John DeFilippo gets an HC job this year, he'll look to take WRC Mike Groh (former Bears WRC)& assistant DL coach Phillip Daniels (former Bears player) from Philly with him.

Also keep an eye on Todd Downing as Flip's QB coach. #Bears

I don't think it's a given that DeFilippo is the #Bears guy but I can tell you that everyone I've spoken to that I trust said he was the "front runner" heading into the hiring process.

I know a lot of people look at Downing's failed OC job in 2017 as a reason not to have him as Flip's potential QB coach but remember, he was voted best QB coach by PFF in 2016 & was highly thought of. #Bears

Haven't got a straight answer who would be DeFlippo's OC but 2 names continue to float around as possibilities including Mike Groh (that or WRs coach) & Alex Van Pelt.
Worth keeping in mind that regardless of who the OC would be, Flip would call plays from what I've heard. #Bears

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per @aaronlemingnfl

*IF* the #Bears retain DC Vic Fangio, you can thank the HC interview on Wednesday for that.

Was told not only did the interview go well but it allowed Pace & Fangio to get a better long-term feel for each other, which could help convince Fangio to stay.

Have been told that if John DeFilippo gets an HC job this year, he'll look to take WRC Mike Groh (former Bears WRC)& assistant DL coach Phillip Daniels (former Bears player) from Philly with him.

Also keep an eye on Todd Downing as Flip's QB coach. #Bears

I don't think it's a given that DeFilippo is the #Bears guy but I can tell you that everyone I've spoken to that I trust said he was the "front runner" heading into the hiring process.

I know a lot of people look at Downing's failed OC job in 2017 as a reason not to have him as Flip's potential QB coach but remember, he was voted best QB coach by PFF in 2016 & was highly thought of. #Bears

Haven't got a straight answer who would be DeFlippo's OC but 2 names continue to float around as possibilities including Mike Groh (that or WRs coach) & Alex Van Pelt.
Worth keeping in mind that regardless of who the OC would be, Flip would call plays from what I've heard. #Bears
Given your scouting, Flip seems like a good candidate. Downing sucks at OC, but we won’t have him in that capacity. If we can get Flip and keep Fangio, I’d be ecstatic. Thanks for the hard work.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given your scouting, Flip seems like a good candidate. Downing sucks at OC, but we won’t have him in that capacity. If we can get Flip and keep Fangio, I’d be ecstatic. Thanks for the hard work.

Copying and pasting articles/tweets is really hard work. People don't understand the struggle! :mad2:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the idea of a head coach who controls the offense...just so we don't have the same thing happen with Gase. This would also fit the "Rams" theory of finding a new young HC who would excite and wake up the offense. Keeping Vic would be a bonus. As for the position coaches moving up- we just don't know what they would be in new roles, with new players. Hopeful.
Wouldn't be apposed to any of this.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, and the hope is that if no other team is going to give Fangio a HC position, why would he make the lateral move to another DC position unless, of course, his feelings are hurt because we didn't give him OUR HC position?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, and the hope is that if no other team is going to give Fangio a HC position, why would he make the lateral move to another DC position unless, of course, his feelings are hurt because we didn't give him OUR HC position?
I think we need to stop thinking about and worrying about the feelings. These aren't high school kids...they are professionals. Reading my tea leaves, I think Fangio knows it's just not going to happen for him as a HC...he's been passed by, the trend has moved to everyone is hiring younger and offensive minded guys.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, hope Fangio stays. They're going to have to pay him a whole lotta $$$$$$$.$$ but for continuity sake, I hope he stays.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The interview with Fangio reportedly went very, very well. Which leads me to believe that they talked about a potential Assistant HC position and he was on-board.

Obviously, he's not interviewing for any other HC positions, and if the interview did go as reported... I don't see a reason for him to leave and start from scratch. When he's built a top 10 D, and is very well respected/liked.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fangio stays with us, how long do you think he’ll be here? The better we do next year, the more likely he’s gone in a year. This team is still growing. Do you think it’s a wise move to bring on Fangio for a year or two and then have to restart with another DC down the road? I’m all for Fangio staying, it’s just some food for thought. I really hope this isn’t another Gase situation.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fangio stays with us, how long do you think he’ll be here? The better we do next year, the more likely he’s gone in a year. This team is still growing. Do you think it’s a wise move to bring on Fangio for a year or two and then have to restart with another DC down the road? I’m all for Fangio staying, it’s just some food for thought. I really hope this isn’t another Gase situation.

Horrendous logic. Don't bring back Fangio now because he "might" leave next year?

Don't win the lottery now because you might win the lottery next when it "might" be a bigger jackpot.

Are you seriously this stupid? Food for thought? There is no thought here. Move along.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fangio has been here 3 years now... How is this a "Gase situation"? LMAO. It's already not that.

Also, if he came back. Why would he leave in a year? It could not be more obvious that the guy has no real desire to be a HC.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio has been here 3 years now... How is this a "Gase situation"? LMAO. It's already not that.

Also, if he came back. Why would he leave in a year? It could not be more obvious that the guy has no real desire to be a HC.
From what I am hearing he wants to move up the chain. The bears are offering him assistant HC if I’m not mistaken. Why wouldn’t he want to give HC a shot?

And I meant by another gase is what looks like a sure thing coordinator that gets taken away a year later.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrendous logic. Don't bring back Fangio now because he "might" leave next year?

Don't win the lottery now because you might win the lottery next when it "might" be a bigger jackpot.

Are you seriously this stupid? Food for thought? There is no thought here. Move along.
Did you not read my post? I’m all for bringing back fangio. But how long will it take before he goes elsewhere is the question I was trying to pose. People with foresight might question the reward of bringing back a DC that will be here another 1-2 years if successful when this team looks like it’s more than two years from actually competing to win a super bowl. We could be balking at the chance for a DC that lasts several years and is very good, for a great DC that only sticks around for a year or two while this team is still learning. It’s something to consider. A break off with the DC right now might be better if he’s going to leave in a year or 2.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I am hearing he wants to move up the chain. The bears are offering him assistant HC if I’m not mistaken. Why wouldn’t he want to give HC a shot?

And I meant by another gase is what looks like a sure thing coordinator that gets taken away a year later.

It could not be more clear that he has no desire to be a HC... He could have a HC job about a half-dozen different off-seasons, and he never even interviews for them. He interviewed for ours, so he had leverage in contract negotiations.

He's 60, and he's been one of the best DC's in this league for a while. If he wanted to be a HC, he would be have been one by now.

I am the only one with whom I've seen mention "assistant HC", and that's pure speculation on my part. Which still is not HC.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could not be more clear that he has no desire to be a HC... He could have a HC job about a half-dozen different off-seasons, and he never even interviews for them. He interviewed for ours, so he had leverage in contract negotiations.

He's 60, and he's been one of the best DC's in this league for a while. If he wanted to be a HC, he would be have been one by now.

I am the only one with whom I've seen mention "assistant HC", and that's pure speculation on my part. Which still is not HC.
I just don’t buy that he doesn’t want to be a HC. Maybe he understands that the best position for him is dc, but I doubt it. I really could see him leaving for a HC position. It’s very logical that he does. Until this year, I haven’t heard him be a prime candidate as a HC. Even this year he is marginal. He was a little less notable when we brought him on as dc. If and when the bears start to look good, he will be the first coach on our staff other teams want to interview for their HC job. I can almost guarantee that. Do you think he will balk at that opportunity?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t buy that he doesn’t want to be a HC. Maybe he understands that the best position for him is dc, but I doubt it. I really could see him leaving for a HC position. It’s very logical that he does. Until this year, I haven’t heard him be a prime candidate as a HC. Even this year he is marginal. He was a little less notable when we brought him on as dc. If and when the bears start to look good, he will be the first coach on our staff other teams want to interview for their HC job. I can almost guarantee that. Do you think he will balk at that opportunity?

It's very illogical that he does. He was a smashing success as a DC every year in San Fran, and has been here as well.

Virtually this entire decade, he could have had a HC gig most years. He's never interviewed. You know why he hasn't been a candidate? He has not wanted to be a candidate. Now, he's 60. Stop it. lol

Plenty of guys do not want the grind of being a HC. Especially those approaching the age of senior citizenship.

The Gase thing also makes zero sense. He's going on his 4th year here, if he should return. More than most coordinators spend in one place.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, BS is on the money for once. Good boy, BS.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very illogical that he does. He was a smashing success as a DC every year in San Fran, and has been here as well.

Virtually this entire decade, he could have had a HC gig most years. He's never interviewed. You know why he hasn't been a candidate? He has not wanted to be a candidate. Now, he's 60. Stop it. lol

Plenty of guys do not want the grind of being a HC. Especially those approaching the age of senior citizenship.

The Gase thing also makes zero sense. He's going on his 4th year here, if he should return. More than most coordinators spend in one place.
I don’t buy it. He has NOT been a top HC candidate all these years like you say he has. He’s been a middle of the road candidate, but never someone teams would trip over themselves for. If we could have him as a DC until he retires, I would love it. I just dont see it being possible. I think fangio is looking to be a HC at some point.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t buy it. He has NOT been a top HC candidate all these years like you say he has. He’s been a middle of the road candidate, but never someone teams would trip over themselves for. If we could have him as a DC until he retires, I would love it. I just dont see it being possible. I think fangio is looking to be a HC at some point.

"At some point"???? LMAO. It's over dude. He's 60!

I don't buy it

My god. This isn't me trying to convince you. This is me telling you, for a fact.

He's NEVER INTERVIEWED... Do you think a VERY qualified guy to be a Head Coach, MIGHT have interviewed ONCE for a job, if he wanted to be a head coach? Do you think he MIGHT have done that before approaching SENIOR CITIZENSHIP? I mean, Jesus Christ man. Get a clue. Just once, Beengay. Head out of your ass, please.

You really have a way with saying some astonishing shit.

It's a borderline mentally retarded point, regardless. "We shouldn't bring him back, because he might leave us after 5 years in the 2020 off-season." The hell?

Why do you make me berate you like this? Stop... please. I don't like this, but you're such a fuck sometimes.