• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Washington Football Team News

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow the snake is being cornered

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like, "hurry up and wait". I get it though, lots of red tape I'm sure.
At ease soldier!

You can always tell folks who served in the military, or have some military connection by the language that we use at times! Well done. :tea:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At ease soldier!

You can always tell folks who served in the military, or have some military connection by the language that we use at times! Well done. :tea:

Now that's a fact Jack . . . . . I mean Sty.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more band huh, bummer...

Washington Football Team replaces cheerleaders with dance squad​

7:28 AM PT
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer
ASHBURN, Va., -- The Washington Football Team has discontinued its cheerleader program after more than 50 years, replacing it with a coed dance squad as part of its re-branding effort.
The team had announced last month that the cheerleader program was paused while it decided what direction the re-branding would take. Petra Pope, hired by the team as a senior advisor focused on creating gameday entertainment, said the goal is create a "more modern franchise."
"With that comes inclusivity, diversity and in my mind, as an entertainer, athleticism," Pope told ESPN by phone. "My desire is to create a team that is all of that -- inclusive, diverse, co-ed, athletic -- to set the gold standard in the NFL. We're looking for that super athlete that can dance, perform tricks and stunts and manipulate whatever props that will create a really great show."
The former cheerleaders are eligible to try out for the dance squad. Pope said they'll likely hire 36 dancers or more.
"Change can be extremely difficult," Pope said. "I appreciate the passion that the ladies have and can relate to that passion because I've been a mentor for thousands of dancers over my career. As we progress to a re-imagined era, the choreography will be much more athletic. We welcome the dancers of the past to audition and if they have that skill set they're welcome to join us."
In a statement, team president Jason Wright said they wanted to create halftime programs similar to the NBA. Pope spent 33 years in the NBA, starting with the Los Angeles Lakers as the manager of the Laker Girls. She also started the Knicks City Dancers. She has also worked for the New Jersey Nets and has served as a consultant since 2016.
"As we set out to modernize the Washington Football gameday, it's important that we develop a top-notch entertainment program that keeps our fanbase excited and connected to the game and the team," Wright said.
Washington started using cheerleaders in 1962 and they eventually became known as the First Ladies of Football. They represented the franchise at events locally and around the world, especially military bases. Pope said she's not yet sure if the dance squad would travel or not.
With the team going through the process of changing its name -- it will be known as the Washington Football Team through the 2021 season -- it paused the program, as well as the marching band. The band had been around since the organization moved to Washington in 1937.

But the program also was embroiled in controversy. The Washington Post detailed allegations involving two swimsuit calendar photo shoots, in 2008 and '10. There were two videos made from outtakes during those years in which some private parts were exposed. Certain props were used to shield those body parts and at times those props were insufficient.
Pope said there are no plans for the dance team to do any calendars.
The team reached a settlement with their former cheerleaders sometime before the end of 2020, according to multiple sources. One source said last month that the rebrand was not tied to the controversy surrounding the program. The source also said the band likely would return in some form, but nothing has yet been announced.
The NFL, led by attorney Beth Wilkinson, continues to investigate the organization following multiple reports of sexual harassment allegations. Attorneys for those who made the allegations have pressed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to make the findings public.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more band huh, bummer...

Washington Football Team replaces cheerleaders with dance squad​

7:28 AM PT
  • i

John KeimESPN Staff Writer
ASHBURN, Va., -- The Washington Football Team has discontinued its cheerleader program after more than 50 years, replacing it with a coed dance squad as part of its re-branding effort.
The team had announced last month that the cheerleader program was paused while it decided what direction the re-branding would take. Petra Pope, hired by the team as a senior advisor focused on creating gameday entertainment, said the goal is create a "more modern franchise."
"With that comes inclusivity, diversity and in my mind, as an entertainer, athleticism," Pope told ESPN by phone. "My desire is to create a team that is all of that -- inclusive, diverse, co-ed, athletic -- to set the gold standard in the NFL. We're looking for that super athlete that can dance, perform tricks and stunts and manipulate whatever props that will create a really great show."
The former cheerleaders are eligible to try out for the dance squad. Pope said they'll likely hire 36 dancers or more.
"Change can be extremely difficult," Pope said. "I appreciate the passion that the ladies have and can relate to that passion because I've been a mentor for thousands of dancers over my career. As we progress to a re-imagined era, the choreography will be much more athletic. We welcome the dancers of the past to audition and if they have that skill set they're welcome to join us."
In a statement, team president Jason Wright said they wanted to create halftime programs similar to the NBA. Pope spent 33 years in the NBA, starting with the Los Angeles Lakers as the manager of the Laker Girls. She also started the Knicks City Dancers. She has also worked for the New Jersey Nets and has served as a consultant since 2016.
"As we set out to modernize the Washington Football gameday, it's important that we develop a top-notch entertainment program that keeps our fanbase excited and connected to the game and the team," Wright said.
Washington started using cheerleaders in 1962 and they eventually became known as the First Ladies of Football. They represented the franchise at events locally and around the world, especially military bases. Pope said she's not yet sure if the dance squad would travel or not.
With the team going through the process of changing its name -- it will be known as the Washington Football Team through the 2021 season -- it paused the program, as well as the marching band. The band had been around since the organization moved to Washington in 1937.

But the program also was embroiled in controversy. The Washington Post detailed allegations involving two swimsuit calendar photo shoots, in 2008 and '10. There were two videos made from outtakes during those years in which some private parts were exposed. Certain props were used to shield those body parts and at times those props were insufficient.
Pope said there are no plans for the dance team to do any calendars.
The team reached a settlement with their former cheerleaders sometime before the end of 2020, according to multiple sources. One source said last month that the rebrand was not tied to the controversy surrounding the program. The source also said the band likely would return in some form, but nothing has yet been announced.
The NFL, led by attorney Beth Wilkinson, continues to investigate the organization following multiple reports of sexual harassment allegations. Attorneys for those who made the allegations have pressed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to make the findings public.
its the cheerleaders , not the band

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was a fan vote we all know who would win the job. It's not however, and RR has some fascination with Kyle Allen like Gruden had with Ryan Grant who was picked up by Indy and produced 334 yards on 35 receptions. He then went to Oakland where he amassed 4 rec for 14 yards in 2019 and is likely out of the league now. Enough of Allen already, its Hieneke or an upgrade which I'm not sure there is one right at the moment.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more cheerleaders, its now a dance squad and no more band.
I will have to re read that . I didn’t see the band going . Not saying it isn’t true

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we get at least 5 mil more added to the cap, cut a few cheaper contracts, and designate AS for a post june cut
i estimate 60mil, that gets you Allen, and BS with 24 million left...not too bad

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will have to re read that . I didn’t see the band going . Not saying it isn’t true
"Modern Entertainment" they call it. Apparently the "Band" is out dated!?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we get at least 5 mil more added to the cap, cut a few cheaper contracts, and designate AS for a post june cut
i estimate 60mil, that gets you Allen, and BS with 24 million left...not too bad
Not arguing ... do you want Allen over Payne (one year from now) Sweat (two years from now) and/or Young (three years from now.) Important decisions because you can't have them all and Scary Terry comes up in a few years too. Points to ponder ..... I don't know myself ... I think I would argue to keep the DE's above the DT's. I think you can keep Ironman and Settle and the DE's.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing ... do you want Allen over Payne (one year from now) Sweat (two years from now) and/or Young (three years from now.) Important decisions because you can't have them all and Scary Terry comes up in a few years too. Points to ponder ..... I don't know myself ... I think I would argue to keep the DE's above the DT's. I think you can keep Ironman and Settle and the DE's.
If we want we can keep them all. New TV contract projected to add 50 mil plus to the cap

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Ass

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you and I were in the front office, i believe we are on the same page.
I let Allen walk, I do all I can to keep Sweat Chase and Mclaurin. Not disrespect Allen at all but i believe i can draft and get similar production.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you and I were in the front office, i believe we are on the same page.
I let Allen walk, I do all I can to keep Sweat Chase and Mclaurin. Not disrespect Allen at all but i believe i can draft and get similar production.
I don’t need to make the choices . We have plenty of cap for all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.