• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Rory Put In His Place @ WGC Memphis?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Just a bad round on a Sunday.

Koepka takes out WGC and Wyndham Rewards

In what was billed as a showdown between two bombers...World #1 Brooks Koepka and world #3 Rory McIlroy.

It was anything buy a showdown. Koepka shoots a bogey free 65, and bettered Rory's 71 by 6 shots. I was just getting off the grill when the leaders teed off, with Rory up a shot on Brooks. I spent a few minutes cleaning up the grill area, grabbed a cold one and sit down, it was tied already. After 6 Koepka was up 2 on Rory and it was really over.

Bottom line...Rory's game is about power. He faced a guy just as long if not longer yesterday face to face and Rory was the 1st one to blink.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In what was billed as a showdown between two bombers...World #1 Brooks Koepka and world #3 Rory McIlroy.

It was anything buy a showdown. Koepka shoots a bogey free 65, and bettered Rory's 71 by 6 shots. I was just getting off the grill when the leaders teed off, with Rory up a shot on Brooks. I spent a few minutes cleaning up the grill area, grabbed a cold one and sit down, it was tied already. After 6 Koepka was up 2 on Rory and it was really over.

Bottom line...Rory's game is about power. He faced a guy just as long if not longer yesterday face to face and Rory was the 1st one to blink.
Koepka, when he's on, is simply better than McIlroy. Stronger all-around game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Koepka, when he's on, is simply better than McIlroy. Stronger all-around game.

When you're swing speed is that fast, you're going to hit a few offline...just the human element. But what happens after that bad drive Koepka is managing it better than Rory right now....Better clutch putter for sure....Rory can make putts in buckets when he's on...but that 5-6' range for par when he needs to keep a round going, he struggles with that more often these days.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're swing speed is that fast, you're going to hit a few offline...just the human element. But what happens after that bad drive Koepka is managing it better than Rory right now....Better clutch putter for sure....Rory can make putts in buckets when he's on...but that 5-6' range for par when he needs to keep a round going, he struggles with that more often these days.

Yeah, he's too much of a wild card to put any money on him

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Koepka's confidence is really off the charts.
He is almost mocking the field with some of his comments.

Rory needs a mental edge to go head to head with him right now.
The flat stick is simply not on the same level as Brooks'. Along with some other parts of his game, but the putter is the big one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Koepka's confidence is really off the charts.
He is almost mocking the field with some of his comments.

Rory needs a mental edge to go head to head with him right now.
The flat stick is simply not on the same level as Brooks'. Along with some other parts of his game, but the putter is the big one.

Yes it is...almost Tiger like '99-'00. I'm not saying he's on that level, but right now you can tell he feels if he plays his game even close to A level he's better than anyone in the field. The difference is he doesn't care as much about non major wins as Tiger did so there will be tourneys where he doesn't show up.

Rory has built his game around the driver. He's longer than all but a handful on tour and when he faced a guy that can hit it further than him, it took his big advantage away. Rory has had issues with his wedge game going hot and cold, and his putting, especially critical putting can be iffy.

There is a new Sheriff in Town and his name is Brooks Koepka.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is...almost Tiger like '99-'00. I'm not saying he's on that level, but right now you can tell he feels if he plays his game even close to A level he's better than anyone in the field. The difference is he doesn't care as much about non major wins as Tiger did so there will be tourneys where he doesn't show up.

Rory has built his game around the driver. He's longer than all but a handful on tour and when he faced a guy that can hit it further than him, it took his big advantage away. Rory has had issues with his wedge game going hot and cold, and his putting, especially critical putting can be iffy.

There is a new Sheriff in Town and his name is Brooks Koepka.

As much as i love Rory, he has a horrendous record with showdowns.

But I don't think that anyone with Rory's resume you could say was built on a single facet of a golf game.
Rory just seems to have these rounds were he comes out flat ..usually in the first round or last round
And it's a combination of bad approach shots and bad putting.

And even though Rory has won a WGC event & The Players this year ...yea I would say for sure that Koepka has a good edge on Rory right now. But I think the big test for Koepka is yet to come. How he handles the big drought when it comes.

The pressure that Rory gets for not winning (before his WGC this year) ..the pressure that Jordon has been getting.
That bravado he shows in interviews is easy when you keep winning ...but when the wins stop? How will he handle it?

I was actually pretty happy to see Brooks win. With a major and WGC ..he is looking pretty good to win PGA Golfer of the year again. Because you know the PGA Tour is just begging to find a way to give it to Tiger.

And he sure as hell did himself no favors by saying he just wanted to go home after playing just 2 rounds.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as i love Rory, he has a horrendous record with showdowns.

But I don't think that anyone with Rory's resume you could say was built on a single facet of a golf game.
Rory just seems to have these rounds were he comes out flat ..usually in the first round or last round
And it's a combination of bad approach shots and bad putting.

And even though Rory has won a WGC event & The Players this year ...yea I would say for sure that Koepka has a good edge on Rory right now. But I think the big test for Koepka is yet to come. How he handles the big drought when it comes.

The pressure that Rory gets for not winning (before his WGC this year) ..the pressure that Jordon has been getting.
That bravado he shows in interviews is easy when you keep winning ...but when the wins stop? How will he handle it?

I was actually pretty happy to see Brooks win. With a major and WGC ..he is looking pretty good to win PGA Golfer of the year again. Because you know the PGA Tour is just begging to find a way to give it to Tiger.

And he sure as hell did himself no favors by saying he just wanted to go home after playing just 2 rounds.

While I do think the driver is the root of his success, I didn't mean it literally. I think for anyone that plays the game even on a recreational level, obviously you need more than one aspect of your game to score your best.

DJ clearly was plenty long, but his wedge game wasn't that great....even Tiger early on was not great with his wedges either....something he had to improve on and the '99-'00 season see saw a different level of iron/wedge game.

We know Rory can go low and win anywhere when he's hitting his driver well...when he's just okay with the driver, the rest of his game doesn't pick him up very often. Sunday was an example of that...just so happen to be facing Koepka in the final group.

Koepka...agree 100%. When you sign for the big money (endorsement deals) like Rory and Jordan have, you're no longer just a golfer, you're a corporate entertainer...lots of obligations, everyone wants a piece of you. Brooks has the demeanor to handle it, but we haven't seen that side of him yet.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like you had yourself set up for a nice Sunday