• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: W5: TNF but are all good 8:20/5:20 FOX and NFL NETWORK

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little shocked they Brought Adams in with the trade when they had Blair but I get it. Still I thought for sure Blair was going to be our SS and was amped up about it. Yes he got Injured and missed most of the season but no one saw that coming. Blair would make a fine Strong Safety and even Neal would be a fine strong safety. I said they Over paid and I will continue to say that because of the Capital they gave up ( draft picks ) and the capital they were going to have to give up after getting him ( Money ).

I love Adams I really do, I think he is a unique athlete that on the "right team" will be close to a probowl level player every year for a long time. Seattle just isn't that team. You have to have a supremely talented set of CB's to allow your SS to moonlight 50% of the time as a pass rusher. Also you have to be willing to scheme up his pressure. Hugh Millen did this and it was Bobby Wagner that they used to decoy Adams free for many of his sacks last year. The issue with this was it pulled Bobby out of the play. You don't pull your Best Defender out of the play just to make your "over paid" player look better. lol

Also on a side note, i believe if KJ Wright was still on the team we would have one more victory than we do right now, Why? Because he would have made a game changing play for us thats why. No one is doing that for us this year yet. KJ did it often, to often for them to just let him walk.

Last edited:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also on a side note, i believe if KJ Wright was still on the team we would have one more victory than we do right now, Why? Because he would have made a game changing play for us thats why. No one is doing that for us this year yet. KJ did it often, to often for them to just let him walk.
We can agree on that. KJ could cover TEs. So far Brooks hasn't been able to do that effectively.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams need to be a linebacker at this point.... I'm not sure WTF Seattle is trying to do dropping him deep in coverage...

That is what they bought... not an Earl Thomas/Ed Reed kind of cover safety.. you traded for a smashmouth safety that plays basically at the LOS and rocks people over the short middle or rushes the QB...

Whatever... you guys keep saying "Trade Adams." I'm still of the opinion (as I have been for the last 3 years) FIRE NORTON... and FIRE CARROLL as well.. I'm done with Carroll... his football is archaic. Adams is the problem? The writing was on the fucking wall of what Seattle was getting... an athletic pass rushing/rush first safety who is not that great in coverage.... you fucking kidding me? You're blaming Adams? LMAO

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams need to be a linebacker at this point.... I'm not sure WTF Seattle is trying to do dropping him deep in coverage...

That is what they bought... not an Earl Thomas/Ed Reed kind of cover safety.. you traded for a smashmouth safety that plays basically at the LOS and rocks people over the short middle or rushes the QB...

Whatever... you guys keep saying "Trade Adams." I'm still of the opinion (as I have been for the last 3 years) FIRE NORTON... and FIRE CARROLL as well.. I'm done with Carroll... his football is archaic. Adams is the problem? The writing was on the fucking wall of what Seattle was getting... an athletic pass rushing/rush first safety who is not that great in coverage.... you fucking kidding me? You're blaming Adams? LMAO

No, go look at Adams production vs the pass before he got to Seattle, Yes he was not the best at getting INT's but he was breaking up passes and had a rating over 80 in that area. Now it's in the low 60's, Adams needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop peacocking and play the fooking game right. He can do it but needs to sell out and just go do it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the season is pretty much on the brink of being symbolically over here with a 2-3 start and Russell Wilson out for several weeks. Post-game disappointment is starting to become the normal for this team, at least this year. Here are my takeaways from yet another loss to the Rams:
  • Why are we misusing Jamal Adams this year? He's a box safety, not a centerfielder. That misplay on the Stafford arm punt was terrible. Is it hubris that's causing the team to play him in deep coverage to prove he can do it? Why not use him at what he's good at, like we did last season? Totally absurd.
  • This game was not necessarily lost with the last possession of the first half, but I firmly believe we win this game (even with RW going down) if that TD doesn't get taken off the board and we go into the half at 14-3. I think it was definitely a hold, but I don't think that rusher would have stopped the score. But not only did we lose the TD, but of course we wank the FG and get nothing. Crushing.
  • Hats off to Geno Smith. That last throw notwithstanding (and it wasn't really his fault, as he had to release before knowing Lockett tripped), he played very well in a tough spot.
  • Despite the major f-up at the end of the 1st half, I felt ok about how it was going. I thought we were moving the ball reasonably well, and the D wasn't necessarily great but only 3 points in a half vs the Rams can never be a problem. Unfortunately, the shit just totally hit the fan in the 2nd half with RW's injury, the terrible pass defense, and just not being able to make the 1 or 2 plays needed to maintain control of the game. This team could be the worst at finishing of any in the PC era.
  • As "over" as this season feels to me right now, I am going to hold onto some hope based on our relatively light schedule leading up to the bye. I am actually excited to see what DK might do if Geno feeds him the ball more than what RW was doing. I am also curious to see if we take advantage of the middle of the field a little more in the passing game. RW is a pretty aggressive passer, but he's very risk averse in the middle of the field. If we attack that a bit more, we could get closer to what this offense is supposed to be....that plus a guy like Eskridge who can run those crossers and jet sweeps that Robert Brooks and Cooper Kupp have consistently killed us with in the offense that we are supposed to be seeing right now.
It will be super weird seeing a Hawks game w/o RW, but these next 3 are winnable if Geno plays ok, especially with the mini bye that we get to prepare for this little stretch of games before the true bye hits. We are going to find out a lot about this time over the next few weeks.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the season is pretty much on the brink of being symbolically over here with a 2-3 start and Russell Wilson out for several weeks. Post-game disappointment is starting to become the normal for this team, at least this year. Here are my takeaways from yet another loss to the Rams:
  • Why are we misusing Jamal Adams this year? He's a box safety, not a centerfielder. That misplay on the Stafford arm punt was terrible. Is it hubris that's causing the team to play him in deep coverage to prove he can do it? Why not use him at what he's good at, like we did last season? Totally absurd.
  • This game was not necessarily lost with the last possession of the first half, but I firmly believe we win this game (even with RW going down) if that TD doesn't get taken off the board and we go into the half at 14-3. I think it was definitely a hold, but I don't think that rusher would have stopped the score. But not only did we lose the TD, but of course we wank the FG and get nothing. Crushing.
  • Hats off to Geno Smith. That last throw notwithstanding (and it wasn't really his fault, as he had to release before knowing Lockett tripped), he played very well in a tough spot.
  • Despite the major f-up at the end of the 1st half, I felt ok about how it was going. I thought we were moving the ball reasonably well, and the D wasn't necessarily great but only 3 points in a half vs the Rams can never be a problem. Unfortunately, the shit just totally hit the fan in the 2nd half with RW's injury, the terrible pass defense, and just not being able to make the 1 or 2 plays needed to maintain control of the game. This team could be the worst at finishing of any in the PC era.
  • As "over" as this season feels to me right now, I am going to hold onto some hope based on our relatively light schedule leading up to the bye. I am actually excited to see what DK might do if Geno feeds him the ball more than what RW was doing. I am also curious to see if we take advantage of the middle of the field a little more in the passing game. RW is a pretty aggressive passer, but he's very risk averse in the middle of the field. If we attack that a bit more, we could get closer to what this offense is supposed to be....that plus a guy like Eskridge who can run those crossers and jet sweeps that Robert Brooks and Cooper Kupp have consistently killed us with in the offense that we are supposed to be seeing right now.
It will be super weird seeing a Hawks game w/o RW, but these next 3 are winnable if Geno plays ok, especially with the mini bye that we get to prepare for this little stretch of games before the true bye hits. We are going to find out a lot about this time over the next few weeks.

Why are we misusing Jamal Adams this year? He's a box safety, not a centerfielder…. BAM! Spot on !

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would you give up what they gave up for "JUST" a box safety?
It's a fair question before you make the trade, but that train has left the station. You have the player now, and the focus should be on using him in the way that helps your team the most....and that role is primarily as a box safety. And I don't necessarily see that as a negative. He was impactful there last year, in fact setting a record for the most sacks in NFL history for a DB in a single season and helping our D transform from one of history's worst in the first part of the season to statistically near the top of the league in the 2nd half of the season. We hear coaches say all the time to focus on what players can do and not what they can't. Not sure why that doesn't apply to Jamal Adams or any other high priced player. I am not saying he should never be used in coverage, but we were sending him after the passer 8+ times a game last year. That number has been cut in half this year. Why? It just doesn't make sense to me. Use him to his strengths.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to think our coverage schemes are the problem. Only players who've had success as coverage guys in our defense have to be HoF level players. Everyone else is left to look like differing levels of incompetent.

It used to be that the "holes" in the defense were underneath - mostly in the flat - allowing the defense to react to the play and come up for the hit. Now, the holes are right behind the linebackers - from sideline to sideline - forcing the secondary to come up and make the hit.

Every single player on the defense this year is a downgrade from 2013, and yet the defense is run as if it has the same talent level.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s still a dangerous weapon, but he’s not the best in pass coverage, as we’ve seen …

When they grabbed him he was more than passable in the pass defense part of his game now he just flat isn't. Yes he can be a weapon, but at what cost? We do not have the back end to allow him to play a linebacker role only to play safety like a DT lol

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they grabbed him he was more than passable in the pass defense part of his game now he just flat isn't. Yes he can be a weapon, but at what cost? We do not have the back end to allow him to play a linebacker role only to play safety like a DT lol

That could be another red flag about the coaching. Not only are the players who were supposed to develop never develop, but players who are considered above average in coverage when they arrive regress fairly quickly after coming here. Just a thought.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adams has made some mistakes (a couple of big ones), and the coaching staff hasn't used him correctly at all so far this year.
However his pass D has been much better than people here are claiming:
"He's allowed nine receptions on 16 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown and passers are posting an 89.8 passer rating against him in coverage."

That is actually decent numbers, particularly for this maligned D.

Here is a good article that breaks down the entire situation. It is a fair critic of all involved and Adams takes his fair share of the blame, as well as all other factors:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to point out that the D would be more flexible and allow Adams to play more agressively in the box if we had better coverage, notably on the TEs, from the LBs. I couldn't find the up to date numbers but I know Jordyn Brooks has struggled in coverage and after week #3 was giving up 125+ passer rating. This is an area that a certain KJ Wright used to excel in.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can be used as a pass rusher for sure though, we need to utilize that more, he’s a serious threat in that area …. But yeah, we do have a problem in pass coverage… only having 3 draft picks last year has set us back, now no 1st round pick should this season blow up this year… Pete and John have @@$@ up this one …

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to point out that the D would be more flexible and allow Adams to play more agressively in the box if we had better coverage, notably on the TEs, from the LBs. I couldn't find the up to date numbers but I know Jordyn Brooks has struggled in coverage and after week #3 was giving up 125+ passer rating. This is an area that a certain KJ Wright used to excel in.

there is no doubt in my mind this team would be at worst 3-2 with KJ still on the team.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be another red flag about the coaching. Not only are the players who were supposed to develop never develop, but players who are considered above average in coverage when they arrive regress fairly quickly after coming here. Just a thought.

I'm glad you brought up, the development or lack there of the CB's/Safeties. Ever since the Hawks Promoted Kris Richard from DB coach to DC this team has not been able to "coach up DB's" This is not the DC's job this is the DB coaches job and who is the Hawks DB coach? you might be shocked to hear a pretty average former player is doing that. Someone that i never looked at as being a coach or any reason he would want to be a coach because he did not have a huge understanding of the game or a wealth of knowledge to share. DeShawn Shead needs to be fired and hey what made Carroll think Aaron Curry would be a good Linebackers coach? WTF he couldn't play Linebacker or DE for the Hawks but he is good enough to coach them?

if you look at the list/roster of coaches you will see a bunch of people that just leaves you scratching your head.

the real down turn started to happen on this team when the positional coaching talent was raped.