• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov supended until 7/20

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov signs 1 year deal with Omsk of the KHL to ride out his NHL suspension:

Suspended NHL defenceman Slava Voynov joins KHL's Avangard Omsk | CBC Sports

If I recall properly, the KHL and NHL respect each others' contracts and wait until one of them ends before signing them to their contracts, which means Voynov won't be playing in the NHL this season even though his suspension was reduced to 41 NHL games, or around January 2020.

Looks like any chance of an NHL comeback will be next summer, although it's 100% certain it won't be in LA. He's a pretty valuable chip that could be used to advance the rebuild/retool/whatever Blake is calling it these days but finding a trade partner will still be very difficult.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov signs 1 year deal with Omsk of the KHL to ride out his NHL suspension:

Suspended NHL defenceman Slava Voynov joins KHL's Avangard Omsk | CBC Sports

If I recall properly, the KHL and NHL respect each others' contracts and wait until one of them ends before signing them to their contracts, which means Voynov won't be playing in the NHL this season even though his suspension was reduced to 41 NHL games, or around January 2020.

Looks like any chance of an NHL comeback will be next summer, although it's 100% certain it won't be in LA. He's a pretty valuable chip that could be used to advance the rebuild/retool/whatever Blake is calling it these days but finding a trade partner will still be very difficult.
Not difficult for Blake at all. I believe the Kings will no longer hold his rights after this season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not difficult for Blake at all. I believe the Kings will no longer hold his rights after this season.

You are correct, I was referring to a midseason trade (the 41 games). The Trade Deadline will be shortly after the 41 game mark, I'm hoping the Kings can move him for anything prior to that, at the draft or last ditch before June 30 when he will be a UFA.

I'm not banking on it though, I just don't see an NHL team trading for him because of the stigma and even if they want to they'll be able to sign him as a UFA on July 1.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, I was referring to a midseason trade (the 41 games). The Trade Deadline will be shortly after the 41 game mark, I'm hoping the Kings can move him for anything prior to that, at the draft or last ditch before June 30 when he will be a UFA.

I'm not banking on it though, I just don't see an NHL team trading for him because of the stigma and even if they want to they'll be able to sign him as a UFA on July 1.
If he signed with a KHL team he can’t play in the NHL unless they release him

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct number 2 and confusion number 2.

=)~~

His rights can still be traded, that's what I'm getting at. I don't think it exists and he will hit UFA July 1, but maybe there is a Chiarelli out there who gives the Kings a 4th round pick or a reclamation project yet talented prospect who has fallen down the depth chart for the rights to sign him after April when the KHL season ends. I'd take anything for him at this point.

He won't be playing in the NHL in 2019-20, this is all a futures deal if a deal at all. Something tells me he will not net anything and be a free agent.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drunk dumbass...fucked up a mini dynasty

They never recovered from his loss on defense, it was a huge contributor to the slide. Dumbo tried all kinds of band aids from guys like McBain, Schultz, Schenn, Scuderi Part 2, Gilbert and Ehrhoff to big ticket trades like Sekera. Unfortunately none of them were able to fill the hole Voynov left.

While that slot was up in the air other areas of the team started to slow down as well which compounded the whole situation by accelerating the decline faster than it naturally would have occurred.

I think the Kings would have been in good shape to contend up until about 2 years ago if the Voynov situation had never occurred.

That would have been a solid 6 year run of contention for a Cup, Chicago got 3 in the same 6 year run (2010-2015) and I believe there could have been at least one more hanging up at Staples during their 6 year window.