• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Victoria Azarenka

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A former top player returning to the tour isn't a good story?
Isn't it amazing? That shows how arrogant cezero is. He thinks he knows more about tennis than anybody is with his porous analytic acuity. Victoria has been one lady who has given Serena the biggest challenge since another lady of consequence Kim Clijsters came back from retirement because of motherhood to deny Serena some GS.
It looks like another cycle and the diehard Serena fans are not happy. By the way, I am a Serena fan and I believe she is the greatest female player that ever played. But some of these fans, unbelievable.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'm ready to classify Azarenka as a competitive challenger to Serena like Clijsters.

Different sample sizes, with Clijsters vs. Serena being 9 matches, and Azarenka vs. Serena being 21 matches.

But something about the way Clijsters plays her points, I think gives her more troubling angles for Serena and other opponents.

I think Azarenka is probably more stable (less errors) from the baseline, but a little less dangerous.

Still, I think Azarenka has a shot to go far in majors or win if she gets the right matchups and plays her best.

It would be cool to have another mother win a major, or even get to the Finals.

I think if Venus can keep playing at this level, she's a bigger challenge to Serena. Or if Kerber can play like she did last year, she reminds me of how Clijsters plays her points.

Pliskova and Serena are tied 1-1. I'm curious as to how this matchup holds up.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'm ready to classify Azarenka as a competitive challenger to Serena like Clijsters.

Different sample sizes, with Clijsters vs. Serena being 9 matches, and Azarenka vs. Serena being 21 matches.

But something about the way Clijsters plays her points, I think gives her more troubling angles for Serena and other opponents.

I think Azarenka is probably more stable (less errors) from the baseline, but a little less dangerous.

Still, I think Azarenka has a shot to go far in majors or win if she gets the right matchups and plays her best.

It would be cool to have another mother win a major, or even get to the Finals.

I think if Venus can keep playing at this level, she's a bigger challenge to Serena. Or if Kerber can play like she did last year, she reminds me of how Clijsters plays her points.

Pliskova and Serena are tied 1-1. I'm curious as to how this matchup holds up.

I do not think that Azarenka is less dangerous to Serena than Venus. In fact Azarenka if she can stay injury free is more dangerous to Serena in her quest for GS than Kerber or Venus. But time will tell. The thing about Clijsters was in her returns and that frustrates Serena who now relies more on her serve than ever. And this is why Vika is more of a problem to her than any player on the women tour.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think that Azarenka is less dangerous to Serena than Venus. In fact Azarenka if she can stay injury free is more dangerous to Serena in her quest for GS than Kerber or Venus. But time will tell. The thing about Clijsters was in her returns and that frustrates Serena who now relies more on her serve than ever. And this is why Vika is more of a problem to her than any player on the women tour.

Just to clarify, I meant Venus is more dangerous to Serena in head-to-head, not in overall quest for a GS.

Azarenka is the more consistent player in her matches and overall winning on the tour.

I just don't see Serena feeling flustered by Azarekna's returns, like the way Clijsters, Henin, or Kerber did. IMO.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, I meant Venus is more dangerous to Serena in head-to-head, not in overall quest for a GS.

Azarenka is the more consistent player in her matches and overall winning on the tour.

I just don't see Serena feeling flustered by Azarekna's returns, like the way Clijsters, Henin, or Kerber did. IMO.

Time will tell.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A former top player returning to the tour isn't a good story?

nothing against azarenka, but the only good story for the WTA (for me) would involve a miraculous increase in held service games.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing against azarenka, but the only good story for the WTA (for me) would involve a miraculous increase in held service games.
I know what the perception is about the WTA.

Are there any stats that say what the held % is on the ATP, vs. the WTA?

On a side note, I do like breaks of serve. But I think WTA players tend to lose serve more due to faults, rather than losing a rally point.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any stats that say what the held % is on the ATP, vs. the WTA?
Last year, there was 1 WTA player who held at least 80% of their service games. That was Serena at 83.8%. And there were only 15 who kept that number above 70%.

Over the past 52 weeks, 37 players on the ATP have held at least 80% of their service games, and 5 are above 90%. 74 players have stayed above 70%.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I do like breaks of serve. But I think WTA players tend to lose serve more due to faults, rather than losing a rally point.

Very true. One of the reasons I almost never watch WTA matches.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, there was 1 WTA player who held at least 80% of their service games. That was Serena at 83.8%. And there were only 15 who kept that number above 70%.

Over the past 52 weeks, 37 players on the ATP have held at least 80% of their service games, and 5 are above 90%. 74 players have stayed above 70%.

Thank you. Those were great stats to compare against.

I guess one last question. What are some stats comparing the # of double faults between the WTA and ATP?

If they have it, I'd rather see double fault % (% of service points resulting in a double fault), but if not, double fault totals is fine.

Ok, one more comparison. What about first serve % between the ATP and WTA? Do you see a disparity similar to what you posted above?

Again, I'm trying to isolate to what extent WTA players lose a service point because they can't make a serve, vs. losing a point once the ball is in play.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. One of the reasons I almost never watch WTA matches.

I try to watch the up and coming players in the lower tournaments just to see if anyone serious is about to move up. BeIn has matches at night. Thats about it though. I agree, its kinda hard to take the WTA too seriously.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. I mean this gets too comical. It is a typical Trumpian move. Divert attention from a typical story that goes against you with a completely different topic that has no bearing to what is being discussed.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And what has this got to do with anything? The top players are all bunched together when it comes to the serve in a non-Benford law statistic with Murray, Djokovic, Nishikoro, Wawrinka et al all out of the top 10 in a 52 week count on all surfaces. Yet how many titles has the leader John Isner and his closest Ivo Karlovic won? There is more to the serve or holding it than meet the eye because it can be a function of amalgam of factors including aces, return of serve, double faults etc, etc.
Take this new topic and give yourself a new topic or thread.