• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vic Fangio

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves an on-going thread.

Vic Fangio may be the most valuable addition to the Broncos since last season. A very good HC can make a positive difference a couple games a season- that's impact. Vic Fangio will prove to be that kind of coach.

Here are a few things Fangio has done that show a commitment to team culture:

1) Insisted that his position coaches have direct input on the top athletes for their positions for the draft - without the scouting staff grades. The coaches feel appreciated and the draft decision matrix is improved.

2) Wear game jersey's in practice - because you practice how you play (game jersey's can't be grabbed as easily).

3) Made a point to the team - that even at the end of the 90 man roster - you still have to prove you belong in the top 90.

4) His top three draft picks this year went to the offense - how's that for self -confidence?

5) Speaking of self-confidence - how many HC's would hire his top competition for the HC job as one of his position coaches? Maybe the 2nd best acquisition of the off season was Mike Munchek for Oline coach.

6) Fangio's acquisitions to the defense - are all versatile - K. Jackson can play CB or Safety, Justin Hollins- OLB or ILB, Jones can lineup at DE or NT - Callahan can cover the slot or the outside WR - add that to Justin Simmons, Von Miller and Bradley Chubb - and no offense can predict how you are going to lineup to defend them. Defensive versatility is the best defense against the hurry up offense and the best situation to blitz from.

The players see him as a kind of "nice guy" mafia Don. I see him as a guy who wears the practice sweats like that his what he is most comfortable being himself.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vic Fangio may be the most valuable addition to the Broncos since last season. A very good HC can make a positive difference a couple games a season- that's impact. Vic Fangio will prove to be that kind of coach.

1) Insisted that his position coaches have direct input on the top athletes for their positions for the draft - without the scouting staff grades. The coaches feel appreciated and the draft decision matrix is improved.

2) Wear game jersey's in practice - because you practice how you play (game jersey's can't be grabbed as easily).

3) Made a point to the team - that even at the end of the 90 man roster - you still have to prove you belong in the top 90.

4) His top three draft picks this year went to the offense - how's that for self -confidence?

5) Speaking of self-confidence - how many HC's would hire his top competition for the HC job as one of his position coaches? Maybe the 2nd best acquisition of the off season was Mike Munchek for Oline coach.

6) Fangio's acquisitions to the defense - are all versatile - K. Jackson can play CB or Safety, Justin Hollins- OLB or ILB, Jones can lineup at DE or NT - Callahan can cover the slot or the outside WR - add that to Justin Simmons, Von Miller and Bradley Chubb - and no offense can predict how you are going to lineup to defend them. Defensive versatility is the best defense against the hurry up offense and the best situation to blitz from.

The players see him as a kind of "nice guy" mafia Don. I see him as a guy who wears the practice sweats like that his what he is most comfortable being himself.

Plus he has certain requirements he wants in his offense. You know the kind of offenses that he hates to defend against.

Makes sense to me

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without even have played one game, I already love Fangio .. Not only is he the perfect fit for what we'll do on the field, he seems to fit perfectly with #7 and the identity of the organization ..

There will be January football in Denver, and opposing teams will be scared to come in here and play this team ... Once an athlete reaches the NFL level, it is safe to say that they possess rare athletic talent -- what separates a 3-13 team from 13-3 team is exactly what I feel Vic brings to the Broncos -- the resume, the smarts, old school mentality with the ability to stay ahead of the game ...

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the addition of sending certain players pictures of their families with cement blocks around their feet on the edge of a dock to motivate them is a pretty interesting tactic.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the addition of sending certain players pictures of their families with cement blocks around their feet on the edge of a dock to motivate them is a pretty interesting tactic.
Chris Harris just might wake up to a horse’s head.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo, I think that's a fine Op Ed piece and, on paper it all makes sense. I do believe that the devil is in the details and that is certainly, in my opinion, one of the hallmarks of great management and leadership. Couple that with input for you "subject matter experts", the position coaches, and letting them make decisions at the appropriate levels and I think you have the makings of a really strong HC...but, what I really think sets coaches apart is, at least initially, the ability to work with the ingredients in the cupboard, so to speak, and devise a game plan that maximizes the strengths of the team ON THE FIELD, not the one in the coaches head. Yes, coaches all have systems, playbooks, schemes... that they utilize and they need certain players that fit in certain molds to make those schemes work. But I think where someone like McVay excels is utilizing the talent around him beautifully. He's not a football savant or a genius...because football is a fairly basic game and there are only so many formations that the rules allow. But if you use those formations, those schemes, to put your players in positions to win one on one battles, regardless of which side of the ball, that wins games. And that's what I want to see from a HC. Will Fangio force square pegs into round holes? We will see...

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I have heard, Fangio likes players who are versatile, and developed his system to use that versatility. Therefore, it seems to me that would prevent the “square peg round hole scenario” by design.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any games as a HC to judge him by. Just press conferences, reactions in press conferences by players, games as a DC, and off season moves that he is associated with. So far I like what I see.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half the part of being a head coach is getting the guys to believe in you. Fangio seems to have that pied piper to the Super Bowl quality about him.

You can only tell so much from the tealeaves, but I see a confidence building in the players and the fans.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really enjoying Fangio using the media - in very gentle ways - to praise - motivate - and challenge players he mentions. On DeMarcus Walker - he said something like - 'he came 100% emotionally ready to play' followed by - "We'll see how things look when we put the pads on.'

I think Fangio is 1,000% enjoying himself as a HC - the players see that and like it.