• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vernon Davis to WR

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With leading receiver Michael Crabtree sidelined at least until November with a torn Achilles tendon, all signs point toward tight end Vernon Davis becoming a primary target for quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Perhaps that's why Davis has spent some of training camp lining up at wide receiver. His speed and athleticism make him a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators, and it makes sense for the 49ers to get creative in finding ways to get him the ball.

"I'm willing to step up and do whatever they ask me to do," Davis said Sunday. "They've been having me line up at wide receiver, pretty much all over the place. It's a good thing that I get the opportunity to work with those guys because it not only helps me at the wide receiver position, it also helps me at the tight end position. My feet get quicker, my route-running is better."

If playing out of position on occasion is what it takes to get the 49ers over the hump to win a Super Bowl, Davis says he's all for it. He took inspiration from Atlanta Falcons star tight end Tony Gonzalez's decision to postpone retirement and come back for another season at age 37.

"This is a guy who has nothing to prove," Davis said. "He's already [deserving] of the Hall of Fame, he's broken all the records. This tells me how important it is to him to get a ring.

"I don't play for the Pro Bowl, I don't play for statistics. Maybe in my younger days I played for statistics. It's all about that ring."

Davis said he played some receiver in high school and hoped to play there once he got to the University of Maryland, but his head coach said, "You'll be too big," Davis remembers.

"I actually did get bigger. I got up to 248 pounds, and by the time I left Maryland, I was 255."

Davis, who is 6-foot-3, says his weight has remained 245 for the past four years. He's faster than most NFL tight ends, and he doesn't think playing receiver would be a huge adjustment.

"I mean, it's just like tight end," he said. "You're just running routes."

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh did not address the prospect of Davis playing receiver, but he said he likes what he's seen from his tight end so far in camp.

"I see a lot of improvement, in his ability as a football player, his route-running," Harbaugh said. "He looks really good, in the prime of his career."

Davis' 2012 regular-season stats -- 41 catches, 548 yards, five touchdowns -- were disappointing compared to past seasons. But he performed well under the spotlight of the postseason. Davis had five catches for 106 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game win at Atlanta. He hauled in six catches for 104 yards in a losing effort against Baltimore in the Super Bowl.

The difference, he said, was the chemistry he began developing with Kaepernick, who took the quarterback job from Alex Smith with six games left in the regular season.

Davis, 29, talked openly last season about him and Kaepernick not being on the same page in games. What changed in the playoffs?

"Experience," Davis explained simply. "You saw Colin developing into a great quarterback, and you saw the rest of the guys, including myself, following him and figuring him out. Getting the timing down, just figuring him out as a person and a quarterback."

Notes

Harbaugh said that he sympathized with Tarell Brown after learning the cornerback lost out on $2 million and that he believes "there's a solution there." Harbaugh said team officials -- not just Brown's agent -- were not aware of the contract clause that obligated Brown to attend voluntary offseason workouts to receive all of his money. "Unfortunately, nobody caught it," Harbaugh said. "That's a real torpedo that nobody really wanted to see happen. Now let's get the solution and solve the problem." The coach added that he'd like to be involved in discussions to help fix the situation, but did not get into specifics.

Vernon Davis ready to fill void at WR for San Francisco 49ers - ESPN

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isnt going to WR. He will be a TE that might play a couple plays at WR to create mismatches.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope not. He is way too stiff and robotic to play WR.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who plays TE then?

The assumption is that our newly drafted TE Vance McDonald would be able to start and play at a high level. The problem with this rationale is that you take your Pro Bowl caliber TE and ask him to be a WR, where he would be slightly above average at best all while assuming your rookie has what it takes to understand routes as well as blocking schemes at roughly the ability that VD has already proven he can do.

Keep VD at TE, leave the WRs to do their jobs.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The assumption is that our newly drafted TE Vance McDonald would be able to start and play at a high level. The problem with this rationale is that you take your Pro Bowl caliber TE and ask him to be a WR, where he would be slightly above average at best all while assuming your rookie has what it takes to understand routes as well as blocking schemes at roughly the ability that VD has already proven he can do.

Keep VD at TE, leave the WRs to do their jobs.

I agree, someone (Jenkins, Lockette, Patton) needs to step up and make some plays this year. I heard today on the radio that McDonald is a much better receiver than Walker and has looked good so far, though his blocking has only been passable at best. Not surprising, but it would be nice if McDonald could also take some pressure off the receivers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't going to WR. Trust me.

2nd the problem is no one is stepping up at the WR position. This is why we need to sign a Vet right now. I think we will sign someone soon. Harbaugh will give these guys 1 more week. Lockette is hurt, Patton is Hurt and Jenkins is falling down after contact.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's a big difference between lining up at WR at times, and playing WR. If they defend us with a run-heavy grouping, and by moving Davis to the outside we can either bring a LB out with him or match a LB up on one of our receivers, that's a mismatch we can exploit. I doubt we'll see more than one or two plays a game with him lined up on the outside, though. If that.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hated how notre dame would line up eifert at wr. get an actual wr so we can keep davis where he actually creates mismatches.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hated how notre dame would line up eifert at wr. get an actual wr so we can keep davis where he actually creates mismatches.

Ya, I would think any starting Corner would have no trouble staying with Davis. Leave him at TE.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't going to WR. Trust me.

2nd the problem is no one is stepping up at the WR position. This is why we need to sign a Vet right now. I think we will sign someone soon. Harbaugh will give these guys 1 more week. Lockette is hurt, Patton is Hurt and Jenkins is falling down after contact.

Inside the 49ers | Training camp report: Sunday, the not-so-good ? A.J. Jenkins struggles | The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, CA

Not only is he falling down, he isn't catching many passes. Hopefully it was just a bad day but they need #17 to step up.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't make this connection because I hadn't seen it before, but Kansas City is using their newly drafted TE as a WR and they had hired Ault, the creator of the pistol offense. I know it's no secret that the offense likes its TEs, but is the evolution pointing towards TEs as WRs or more emphasis on blocking WRs? I know blocking has always been part of the game and TEs can catch better than WRs can block in general, but if there's more of a hybrid, that may have some positives (as well as negatives, so use is moderate).

Or was it just because VD is a threat and now even more with Crabtree's injury?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The further we go into TC, the more I'm warming up to three-TE sets. Until and unless WRs get healthy and step up, I think Davis, McDonald, and Celek may all be among our top-5 pass-catchers....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The further we go into TC, the more I'm warming up to three-TE sets. Until and unless WRs get healthy and step up, I think Davis, McDonald, and Celek may all be among our top-5 pass-catchers....

Well replace Celek with Miller, and I wasn't far off the mark here. You know!