• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US Soccer

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the kids looking good. If we can convince Musah to pick the US and add him to the group we could have an exciting young squad. But someone please step up to play as a quality striker or we just aren't going to score enough goals

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a decent squad if we could fill in the two blanks with quality

Pulisic Striker Reyna
Musah Adams McKennie
Dest Brooks CB Cannon
Steffan

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much to get excited about for this next camp for the USMNT. For me it's mostly watching Long and Zimmerman (I don't watch MLS) to see if one or the other takes the lead (I prefer Long) as a possible partner for Brooks as one of our top 2 CBs and maybe some of the younger guys I've never seen. Mostly, they are mostly just competing for bottom of the roster positions

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a decent squad if we could fill in the two blanks with quality

Pulisic Striker Reyna
Musah Adams McKennie
Dest Brooks CB Cannon
Steffan

There's tons of talent there. Enough to go deep into World Cups for awhile. But I have no faith in US Soccer management to get results

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's tons of talent there. Enough to go deep into World Cups for awhile. But I have no faith in US Soccer management to get results
The problem with US Soccer, men's anyway, has never been talent or lack of, it's the whole elitist, pay for play, country club mentality of the people running it. I have no doubt we have a lot of talented kids in this country who never get a chance because they didn't go to the right school or play in the right program.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with US Soccer, men's anyway, has never been talent or lack of, it's the whole elitist, pay for play, country club mentality of the people running it. I have no doubt we have a lot of talented kids in this country who never get a chance because they didn't go to the right school or play in the right program.
The problem with US Soccer is that our most talented athletes do not play soccer... They play baseball, football, basketball... Soccer athletes will never be the best while other team sports dominate the society here in the States.

Edit: You could have the USMNT train with the USWNT. Perhaps some of their greatness would rub off on the men's team?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with US Soccer is that our most talented athletes do not play soccer... They play baseball, football, basketball... Soccer athletes will never be the best while other team sports dominate the society here in the States.

Edit: You could have the USMNT train with the USWNT. Perhaps some of their greatness would rub off on the men's team?
This is somewhat true in that soccer has always been #5 when it comes to money in our major sports from ad revenue/tv revenue/etc.

I think the main problem is that, like, 95% of our soccer infrastructure is pay to play.
And if you cannot recruit soccer talent early, it's really difficult to develop them late.

When it comes to the women, basketball draws both athletes equally, softball has baseball, and while there is no football, a fair amount of talented female athletes play lacrosse. But, there's generally no money to be had in women's professional sports, so the talented athletes are essentially spread evenly.

For the men, the big money is in the NFL, MLB, and NBA, with soccer coming in fourth. I consider hockey players to be a separate lot, as not many 'athletes' choose between hockey and another sport.

So, if an athlete has a chance to really cash in, they are picking the first 3 before deciding upon soccer.

The pay to play environment of soccer hurts them from finding inner city athletes at a young enough age, which is the key age to develop soccer talent. You can learn to play basketball if you happen to grow tall or you can learn to be a linemen if you're 6' 5" and 300 lbs, but soccer is a really tough sport to learn late.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is somewhat true in that soccer has always been #5 when it comes to money in our major sports from ad revenue/tv revenue/etc.
I know you know this but was going to add... In The USA... Not the world. Obviously, the rest of the world soccer is king.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you know this but was going to add... In The USA... Not the world. Obviously, the rest of the world soccer is king.
Understood.

Also, the rest of the world cultivates their soccer talent from a young age with creativity and a generally open structure.
In the US, the clubs are rigid, robotic, and because of pay to play, they are results driven so they can pay $1000s of dollars to a coach with an accent.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most talent I've seen in the USMNT, especially with all the players overseas.

I just don't know if the coach can pull it all together.

It took way too long to get that goal yesterday with a team with this much talent. We've got talent all over playing at top clubs in Europe doing well. We get them in a USMNT jersey and it looks like you've got a rev limiter on them. I truly believe all those kids can make a deep run into the WC. But I doubt US Soccer puts the right people in place to get them there.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took way too long to get that goal yesterday with a team with this much talent. We've got talent all over playing at top clubs in Europe doing well. We get them in a USMNT jersey and it looks like you've got a rev limiter on them. I truly believe all those kids can make a deep run into the WC. But I doubt US Soccer puts the right people in place to get them there.
Honduras is well known for their physical play and tactical fouls.

Look at the Mexico v Costa Rica game Mexico is the better team, but Costa Rica, like Honduras, can play a physical game and grind the game down to a slow pace.

I'm hoping it's just the experience that they need in these grind em' up games.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Reyna goal, I was actually wondering if they might fire Berhalter at halftime......

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is fucking insane.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2