• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Upgrading court stereo in my truck

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at the many options out there for my 2005 F250 Super Duty. There's nothing wrong with the factory unit, but I want something with Bluetooth, Navigation and USB ports.
I like some of the mid $ range stereos on Crutchfield.com. Pioneer and JVC have some interesting double din units.
Anybody wanna offer recommendations?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a look at new head units for my truck a couple months ago when I got my windows tinted since I am in the same boat. I want all the updates but don't want to get a new truck.

I don't think you can go wrong with either JVC or Pioneer, they make decent products. I had a Sony back in high school that I liked a lot...but it comes down to user interface.

also, make sure you get either Android Auto or the Apple equivalent, based on what kind of phone you use.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at the many options out there for my 2005 F250 Super Duty. There's nothing wrong with the factory unit, but I want something with Bluetooth, Navigation and USB ports.
I like some of the mid $ range stereos on Crutchfield.com. Pioneer and JVC have some interesting double din units.
Unless you have the speakers and stuff to go with it.... the stereo ain't gonna matter much. They're all the same for the most part, nowadays.

As someone that used to mess around with in-dash stereos, just be sure to order the right size so you don't have to mess with mounting kits and all that shit....

and solder your wiring joints, and shrink wrap that shit.

Also - chances are, you have a single piece dash... good luck fucking with that....

OTHERWISE - for less than $25 - just get a bluetooth adapter with aux, and then a good mount for your phone.

I went this route for my recently licensed daughter's car, after considering replacing the stereo for her.... and then said fuck that. I already bought the car.... and wasn't going to spend another few hundred on it, and then a couple hours monkeying around with the dash.

this is the one that I got for her... works pretty good as far as I know

I took a look at new head units for my truck a couple months ago when I got my windows tinted since I am in the same boat. I want all the updates but don't want to get a new truck.

I don't think you can go wrong with either JVC or Pioneer, they make decent products. I had a Sony back in high school that I liked a lot...but it comes down to user interface.

also, make sure you get either Android Auto or the Apple equivalent, based on what kind of phone you use.
same goes for you

Last edited:

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you have the speakers and stuff to go with it.... the stereo ain't gonna matter much. They're all the same for the most part, nowadays.

As someone that used to mess around with in-dash stereos, just be sure to order the right size so you don't have to mess with mounting kits and all that shit....

Also - chances are, you have a single piece dash... good luck fucking with that....

OTHERWISE - for less than $25 - just get a bluetooth adapter with aux, and then a good mount for your phone.

I went this route for my recently licensed daughter's car, after considering replacing the stereo for her.... and then said fuck that. I already bought the car.... and wasn't going to spend another few hundred on it, and then a couple hours monkeying around with the dash.

same goes for you
Yeah, I'm not fucking with anything. I'll pay to have it installed. I always manage to fuck it up when I try it myself.
As for speakers, they are on the list of upgrades as well.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

same goes for you
I have a Himbox bluetooth set up in my truck and have used that for years. It's similar to the top choice on the link you provided and it really does work fine...at least as far as I know. I don't know what I sound like on the other end of the call though...

I'd like to figure out a way to hide the wires though. I think I can come up through the air vent right next to where it is mounted.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panzerwagon has those features. But all I use is 6 disc in dash CD unit and AM radio.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to your local big box store and compare the user interfaces of different brands and imagine yourself trying to get used to them.
Big icons small icons, whatever. Decide which ones you like.
You can save a few bucks...quite a few...by not going with nav if you have a decent semi new smart phone and get a head unit that supports the latest Android Auto or Apple car play.
I have factory nav in my Taurus and my wifes Grand Cherokee and I almost always use Google maps (Google bought Waze) through Android Auto because it gives voice prompts for things like "Car in median ahead" or "Speed Trap Ahead" or "Traffic accident ahead, a 30 minute delay on this route, a quicker route is available"
Only way to go.
I just bought a Pioneer double din for the Explorer for my son. I will be installed on Friday. I will circle back after that to let you know what I think after it's been in for a bit.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to your local big box store and compare the user interfaces of different brands and imagine yourself trying to get used to them.
Big icons small icons, whatever. Decide which ones you like.
You can save a few bucks...quite a few...by not going with nav if you have a decent semi new smart phone and get a head unit that supports the latest Android Auto or Apple car play.
I have factory nav in my Taurus and my wifes Grand Cherokee and I almost always use Google maps (Google bought Waze) through Android Auto because it gives voice prompts for things like "Car in median ahead" or "Speed Trap Ahead" or "Traffic accident ahead, a 30 minute delay on this route, a quicker route is available"
Only way to go.
I just bought a Pioneer double din for the Explorer for my son. I will be installed on Friday. I will circle back after that to let you know what I think after it's been in for a bit.
I still haven't pulled the trigger on this. I actually ordered a pioneer double din and a couple of kicker speakers, but a delay in delivery would have meant that my appointment for installation would have been missed, so I canceled the order.