• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UFC 249

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UFC needs to send Khabib location. It would have to be real quick or the fight is off. It's too bad because that could be fight of the year.

Ferguson will only fight Khabib or McGregor next. With Ferguson's winning streak he deserves to set those terms. I don't want to see him fight anyone else until he beats one or both of those guys.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EUXXPRMX0AE3OUw

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not questioning the level. I want to see him get his shot too but without fans there it wont be the same. Maybe if they move the fights to a country that is not under lock down then it would be a little better but even then it is not quite the same.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a unique circumstance without fans at the event but it should still be a great fight.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks. They should just cancel it anyway. Sports without live fans is not nearly as entertaining.
Khabib/ferg is arguably the best fight in ufc history but gaethje/ferg is arguably the most entertaining

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khabib/ferg is arguably the best fight in ufc history but gaethje/ferg is arguably the most entertaining

Agreed. Most Khabib fights are somewhat boring, TBH.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UFC cancelled indefinitely....

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rescheduled for may 9th now. Rumor is it is taking place in Florida. Card is absolutely stacked. Does it go on?

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Ferguson got Destroyed by Justin Gaethje

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominate performance out of Gaethje.

Gaethje vs Khabib... probably in August - assuming he is let out.

No idea what Ferguson was trying to do with that strategy. Should have taken it to the mat.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what Ferguson was trying to do with that strategy. Should have taken it to the mat.

I think he thought he could out strike him with his unorthodox ways and he also probably thought that if it went to the ground, he would be laid and prayed or GnP from his back since Gaethje is a wrestler.

Ferguson was punch Gaethjes thigh like 15-20 times throughout the fight (maybe more). Instead of kicking, he felt punching the thigh from the top would be effective. Ferguson was slow and stupid in this fight. Had he attempted to place those shots on the body or face, they might have done something. I kept seeing that thinking 'wth is he doing, does he think that will slow or hurt Gaethje?' - a punch can't generate nearly as much force as a kick and the fact that these were practically jabs, there isn't much power behind them and you are attacking probably the strongest muscle in the body. Could it have been a scheme to get him to lower his hands? I doubt it, if it isn't hurting or an issue, why change. Mini rant about something stupid.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Most Khabib fights are somewhat boring, TBH.

Maybe earlier in his career, but recently his fights have been really entertaining. Barbosa, McGregor, Poirier, and Michael Johnson I thought were all entertaining and impressive. The entertainment for me is when he's going to get the opponent to the ground and what he's going to do from there.

When I first started watching MMA, I hate grapplers and jiu jitsu guys. I just wanted to see strikers only. But now I appreciate it more and how hard it is to do what they do. Now if they're grappling just to stall time or because it's their only weapon that's a different story. But Khabib's stand-up is much better now and it's just a masterclass every time he's in the ring with his grappling.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he thought he could out strike him with his unorthodox ways and he also probably thought that if it went to the ground, he would be laid and prayed or GnP from his back since Gaethje is a wrestler.

Ferguson was punch Gaethjes thigh like 15-20 times throughout the fight (maybe more). Instead of kicking, he felt punching the thigh from the top would be effective. Ferguson was slow and stupid in this fight. Had he attempted to place those shots on the body or face, they might have done something. I kept seeing that thinking 'wth is he doing, does he think that will slow or hurt Gaethje?' - a punch can't generate nearly as much force as a kick and the fact that these were practically jabs, there isn't much power behind them and you are attacking probably the strongest muscle in the body. Could it have been a scheme to get him to lower his hands? I doubt it, if it isn't hurting or an issue, why change. Mini rant about something stupid.

I kept thinking he was punching the legs so he could throw something unorthodox from that position later. I thought he was using it as a set up, but it never amounted to anything. He hit Gaethje in the 2nd round with that big uppercut and maybe he was going to see if it was there again.

I thought Tony's game plan was the one he typically goes in with. Overwhelm his opponent with sheer volume and cardio. Tony's got good power, but he wears you down which makes you make mistakes. The problem for Tony was that Gaethje wasn't giving an inch and because his boxing was so much cleaner was able to avoid a lot of Tony's strikes. The only cardio issue for Justin then was that he didn't gas himself out.

That's my guess.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept thinking he was punching the legs so he could throw something unorthodox from that position later. I thought he was using it as a set up, but it never amounted to anything. He hit Gaethje in the 2nd round with that big uppercut and maybe he was going to see if it was there again.

I thought Tony's game plan was the one he typically goes in with. Overwhelm his opponent with sheer volume and cardio. Tony's got good power, but he wears you down which makes you make mistakes. The problem for Tony was that Gaethje wasn't giving an inch and because his boxing was so much cleaner was able to avoid a lot of Tony's strikes. The only cardio issue for Justin then was that he didn't gas himself out.

That's my guess.

That's what I was wondering in my post - was it supposed to be some tactic?? I just didn't understand it. For a tactic to be effective it has to impair the person in some way. Gaethje didn't look affected by those punches in ANY way and it makes sense that he wouldn't be.

I get trying something different in the first 2 or so rounds, but Ferguson had to know (or the corner should have told him) coming into the 3rd round that he was losing this fight and maybe it is time to get a little bit more serious and technical considering he was taking a beating. I made mention on the UFC forums that I thought Ferguson looked slow during the fight - I wonder if he was just looking past Gaethje.