• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UFA Question

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question. If the Kings dont have any intentions of resigning Roy, Arvidson or Kaliev, why dont they trade their rights to someone else or do a sign and trade. I understand that they may not have a ton of value but wouldnt getting ever a later round pick be better than nothing??

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaliyev is a RFA, so maybe that could be an option with him but Roy and Arvidsson, the player would have to agree to that and I don't know why they would. If they plan to leave, they have no reason to do the Kings a favor and get them extra picks or players, especially pulling from the team they are going to.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could trade their rights, but unless someone is dying to get a jump on Roy or Arvidsson before July 1 the returns would be pretty insignificant. I can see Roy getting maybe a 3rd but no takers on Arvidsson. Right shot defensive defensemen carry some value, oft injured RW do not.

Kaliyev himself would net a 3rd tops on his own as an RFA but I see him being moved as part of a deal for most likely a goalie. His value is awful unfortunately.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was thinking more about Roy but knowing how often Aridson was injured I see he had little to no value. Part of me thinks that they are going to make a run to keep Roy. I would be okay with it so long as he gives them some kind of hometown discount. Obviously he will get more on the open market but I read somewhere that he likes it here. So who knows.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could absolutely trade his rights prior to hitting free agency but it would have to be a team that is very confident they could get him signed to a new long term big money contract. If the projected 6 years/$36.6 million is accurate, narrows down who can afford him and where he would want to be and play a big role. I like the guy but $6.1 million, yikes. Way too rich for LA.

If the Kings could get him for $5-5.5 million tops, I think it would be good. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the warm fuzzies about Clarke like most do. Needs to learn the defensive side of the game big time and put on a lot of weight, they have him listed at 200 pounds but I don't buy that, he had problems defending his net. Reminds me way too much of Jack Johnson just 35 pounds lighter.

Keeping Roy takes up a spot, but he's a known commodity and a legitimate T4 defender vs rolling the dice with Spence and Clarke as RD2 and RD3. And if Roy is resigned, I expect Spence to be dealt with Clarke taking RD3 with Englund.

He does like LA ans has a family now so I'm sure that'll play a role, but this is his first shot at mega bucks. Hard to leave that on the table but hopefully the Kings and he can work something out that keeps him here but doesn't cap strangle them.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want to lose Clarke and see him turn into Faber part 2. That kid was great last year for the Wild. I guess it will all depend on what the return would be. I would like to see them get a stay at home defensemen with size and grit. I think, like everyone else, I am done with the small and fast experiment. Too many times they get pushed around. Lizzard is a perfect example of that. If you could take Lizzards tenacity and grit and somehow put it into PLD, he would be great for this team.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hronek just got PAID and I wonder how Roy might try to leverage that signing as a comp.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want to lose Clarke and see him turn into Faber part 2. That kid was great last year for the Wild. I guess it will all depend on what the return would be. I would like to see them get a stay at home defensemen with size and grit. I think, like everyone else, I am done with the small and fast experiment. Too many times they get pushed around. Lizzard is a perfect example of that. If you could take Lizzards tenacity and grit and somehow put it into PLD, he would be great for this team.

I'm not on the Clarke train, there's something off about his overall game to me. Sure he has offensive instincts, but it's his defensive game that has me worried especially in front of the net I saw him get bodied more tines than I like, I don't see that aggression and statement "this is MY net".

Then you see the Stone incident in preseason and another melee during the season and he has some timidness in him that needs to be developed which is why I don't see him becoming Faber 2.0 any time soon.

I guess I just haven't seen enough from him at the NHL level to say with confidence he will be a franchise defender. Would love to see him come into camp believing he has a spot and showing more confidence than what I've seen.

I think The Lizard is gone this summer too, can't be paying a 4C $2 million. Plus as you mentioned, we've seen enough to know he isn't ideal for a playoff battle. Great heart, effort like you can't believe but those physical limitations have not helped this club.