• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two year extension for Bradford

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't like the 2 year deal ... is it because of the contract #'s or because you have a better plan? What better option out there would make the Eagles more competitive for the upcoming season or two? It's not like the Bradford deal prevents us from taking a QB in this draft ... We pick at 13, it's not like we were guaranteed our top option at QB there.

I just don't like Bradford. I see nothing special in him and I don't think he could win a big game if he was surrounded by great players. I'd rather go cheap at QB for two years, invest elsewhere (OL, LB, DB). Either way, we're not winning.

If we want to win, IMO, invest in D.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who don't like the 2 year deal ... is it because of the contract #'s or because you have a better plan? What better option out there would make the Eagles more competitive for the upcoming season or two? It's not like the Bradford deal prevents us from taking a QB in this draft ... We pick at 13, it's not like we were guaranteed our top option at QB there.

What's competitive? 9-7 or 8-8? That's what we got with him. That's the type of QB he is.

If he plays to his avg self this year (which is a bottom 1/4 of QB's in the league) you are stuck paying him 22 million next year. That's just terrible IMO.

Would you rather build this OL and D up with a shitty QB the next 2 years while still drafting your QB's to take over and still finish 6-10?

I guess my goal is to see this team be a SB contender. And IMO Bradford isn't going to get us a sniff of that.

Now if you want to brag to Jags/Browns fans about how the Eagles are a better team then them then those fans are probably happy with this deal.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always want to put the best team you can on the field year in and year out. Bradford isn't one of the top 10 QB's in the league, but those guys aren't available; he was the best out on the market this off season and we brought him back. Free Agency in general is just an overspend fest ... you go out and overspend on a guy like Janoris Jenkins and then what? We're not asking Bradford to be "the" reason why we go far in the post season ... we just need him to be "solid" which I think he can be with better play from the team around him. And again, I think that people are forgetting that by re-signing Bradford is basically like buying our first round draft pick back ... we can get a stud at 13 which would have otherwise been used on reaching for a player like Paxton Lynch. I'll take Bradford "and" a stud player at 13 over just Paxton Lynch at 13 any day.

Bottom line ... the NFL isn't like the NBA where teams tank to get a top 2 pick. And true franchise QB's don't come along very often; you can tank and still not be guaranteed Andrew Luck. You do the best you can with what's available "at that point in time" and worry about the future when that time comes. What alternative plan is out there for the next two years that would give this team any better shot at winning games?

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line ... the NFL isn't like the NBA where teams tank to get a top 2 pick. And true franchise QB's don't come along very often; you can tank and still not be guaranteed Andrew Luck. You do the best you can with what's available "at that point in time" and worry about the future when that time comes. What alternative plan is out there for the next two years that would give this team any better shot at winning games?

There is no scenario where this team is a contender in the next two years. That said, spending Bradford cash on a QB that isn't a top 10 QB is retarding the team's growth in other areas. IMO the difference in wins between Bradford and his latest contract and Daniels at $5 mil a year is not worth a veteran OG or LB (or Cox extension) that we could have had with that money. and, there's a chance a young FA QB could get better and develop. I don't see that chance with Bradford.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no scenario where this team is a contender in the next two years. That said, spending Bradford cash on a QB that isn't a top 10 QB is retarding the team's growth in other areas. IMO the difference in wins between Bradford and his latest contract and Daniels at $5 mil a year is not worth a veteran OG or LB (or Cox extension) that we could have had with that money. and, there's a chance a young FA QB could get better and develop. I don't see that chance with Bradford.

We can still extend Cox rather easily ... if anything a Cox extension may likely even lower his cap number for this season. A 12.5 Cap hit for a QB is actually below average as far as cap hits go.

Now, if people are of the opinion that Bradford just stinks then I can understand it ... I just don't agree with that premise. I obviously don't think he's in the same category as a Brady, Brees, P Manning, Cam, Rodgers etc .. etc ... but I think he's in the group who can succeed with solid players around them. Like a Matt Ryan or even Joe Flacco who just got hot at the right time one season and had the backing of a great D. We do need to get Bradford a go-to receiver though ... this bunch we currently have did him no favors. You can lead a receiver to the football, but you can't make him catch it. Hopefully our young guys take the next step and start making plays for the QB this season.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can still extend Cox rather easily ... if anything a Cox extension may likely even lower his cap number for this season. A 12.5 Cap hit for a QB is actually below average as far as cap hits go.

Now, if people are of the opinion that Bradford just stinks then I can understand it ... I just don't agree with that premise. I obviously don't think he's in the same category as a Brady, Brees, P Manning, Cam, Rodgers etc .. etc ... but I think he's in the group who can succeed with solid players around them. Like a Matt Ryan or even Joe Flacco who just got hot at the right time one season and had the backing of a great D. We do need to get Bradford a go-to receiver though ... this bunch we currently have did him no favors. You can lead a receiver to the football, but you can't make him catch it. Hopefully our young guys take the next step and start making plays for the QB this season.

Why spend even a 12.5 cap hit on a QB that even you admit is not upper level ? We don't get any points for potential winning a weak division. There's no reason to believe he will be any better than what we've seen throughout his mediocre career already.

All I'm saying is if you can't find your next great QB, at least give a young guy a chance. Spend less at QB and use the money to fill our other numerous holes.

IMO, the best result we can expect from Bradford is a division winning team that goes nowhere.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defense improves we will win at least 10 games. IMO. I think this can be done if Bradford gives us an
average year. However, with an improved defense and a good year from Bradford we can win 12 games in my opinion.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It never ends with quarterbacks and PHI. As Jaws says...no one is more loved in PHI than the backup quarterback.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are trying to do, but it's not working. Most of us feel Bradford looked damn good the last 7-8 games and we want to see more of Bradford with the O-line built up and another wr or 2 to throw to. I was very very critical of Bradford the first 6-7 games but I thought he looked damn good down the stretch.

Looking good and actually being good are two different things? I also watched him, his last 7 games were a lot of garbage time stats, even below average QB's can do that when your down by a lot!

But if you are happy with garbage time stats, more power to you and good luck!

There's also a story on one of the Eagle sites that covers this, you should check it out, it might open your eyes!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why spend even a 12.5 cap hit on a QB that even you admit is not upper level ? We don't get any points for potential winning a weak division. There's no reason to believe he will be any better than what we've seen throughout his mediocre career already.

Getting to the post season regardless of how you get there is essential for me. Once you get there anything can happen; Denver won the Super Bowl this season with bad QB play. P Manning is a shell of his former self. Eli Mannning has won two and while he's solid, has never been an upper echelon QB. Joe Flacco won one and just got paid an incredible amount ... if you look at his career stats, there's nothing special outside the one season where he got hot at the right time. I think Bradford fits that same type of mold ... a guy who's not going to carry a team on his back, but a guy who can be good enough under the right circumstances to get a ring with ... a Matt Ryan / Carson Palmer type. A 12.5 mil cap hit for 2016 is actually on the low side and if he works out well, the Eagles will restructure and extend him in 2017 where his 2017 cap hit will likely be in the 15-16 mil range (still be on the low side).

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some 2016 QB Cap hits for comparison to Bradford's 12.5 mil

J Cutler 17 mil
Eli Manning 24.2 mil
M Ryan 23.7 mil
J Flacco 22.5
M Stafford 22.5
P Rivers 21
T Romo 20.8
C Palmer 17.87
C Kap 15.89
Tannehill 11.64
Cousins 19.95

That's not even bringing up the upper echelon guys (Brees, Rodgers, Cam, Roeth etc ...) who are all Cap hits between 19 and 30 mil.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between Bradford and that list of QB's is he's been in the league for 6 years (96 games) and has missed almost 1/3 (31) of those games due to injury.
i.e.,

Brees has missed 3 games in the last 12 years.
Aaron Rodgers has missed 8 games in the last 8 years.
Cam has missed 2 games in 5 years.
Eli has missed 7 games in 12 years.
Flacco has missed 6 games in 8 years.
Stafford hasn't missed a game since 2010.

Add to this, he's never led a team into the playoffs. Sure makes it hard to believe he's a someone you'll sign long term.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between Bradford and that list of QB's is he's been in the league for 6 years (96 games) and has missed almost 1/3 (31) of those games due to injury.
i.e.,

Brees has missed 3 games in the last 12 years.
Aaron Rodgers has missed 8 games in the last 8 years.
Cam has missed 2 games in 5 years.
Eli has missed 7 games in 12 years.
Flacco has missed 6 games in 8 years.
Stafford hasn't missed a game since 2010.

Add to this, he's never led a team into the playoffs. Sure makes it hard to believe he's a someone you'll sign long term.

Correct, which is why his cap hit is a whole lot less than those guys and is more or less on a prove it type contract as opposed to a 5 year deal. Bradford has the size, arm and accuracy and tenure in the league to break out under the right circumstance. He'll likely never be in the Rodgers/Brees/Cam type category, but I don't think he needs to be.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking good and actually being good are two different things? I also watched him, his last 7 games were a lot of garbage time stats, even below average QB's can do that when your down by a lot!

There's also a story on one of the Eagle sites that covers this, you should check it out, it might open your eyes!
Look, go be a hater on your own board. Seems your QB issues are much greater than ours.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the examples of successful QBs I am getting are guys with dominant defenses.maybe if Philly had Denver's D, Bradford could be successful. But we don't, so...

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your coach and QB's are trash. Cheers.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the examples of successful QBs I am getting are guys with dominant defenses.maybe if Philly had Denver's D, Bradford could be successful. But we don't, so...

Very rarely do you see teams win the Superbowl without a really good D ... great QB or not. It's easier to build a really good D than find a dominant Franchise QB some of you guys are chasing. And again, having Bradford does not prevent us from looking at other options at QB ... if Goff finds a way to drop to 13 there's nothing preventing us from taking him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rams have a pretty damn good defense.

It's hard to build one when you are wasting multiple picks on QBs every 3 years. Bradford is fine, with a high ceiling and a high floor.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A low ceiling and a floor below sea level.