• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Biggest Areas that Need Improvement

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are really two things that need to turn around ASAP for this team to succeed.

First, the Arnott/Langenbrunner line and Elias, whether you want to call that the second or third line depending on the night, needs to play positive plus minus hockey. If they're getting third line minutes, they don't need carry the team, but as Cup pointed out several times they are both atrocious liabilities at the moment.

Second, the forecheck, needs to adapt. The Devils have done surprisingly well early in games forcing turnovers and cycling. However, part of the second period problem is their total inability to adapt, to the opposing teams game plan for exiting their end.

Which brings me to my final point. The Devils when playing well dominate the puck possession game. Opposing teams rarely have any threating offensive team with the puck. Forcing turnovers, cycling the puck, aggressive fore checks will really help the team in many areas. Not only will the goals start to come, but the goals against will naturally decrease as well.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah all valid points, i've not been a fan of the changes in lines to be honest. I know things obviously weren't working but lemaire's line juggling became ridiculous and while something had to be done i dunno, chemistry can't come if they're with different people often.

Another thing that's severely worrying is the goal situation, both ways. Like you said goals will come and they will. Just the goals against issue is bad, we only win(at the moment anyway) when the opposing team doesn't score at all.

San Jose next i think and they've seemed to have a balanced start, man, i'm sure any team wants to play us right now.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post MC.
Your second point makes since and seems that the opposition adjust to our first period play and the devils are left flat because the other team worked out how to transition out of their end without the devils really setting up the cycle game. This then leaves us flat footed and scrambling to adjust which doesn't come until the 3rd period where we're behind the eight ball.
17 goals given up in the second period alone and we only scored 15 total thus far. Wow no one would have ever thought that with the devils. The 2nd worst goals against in the league but with the worst goal differential.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They need to score first too, so some of the pressure is off the young dmen.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They need to score first too, so some of the pressure is off the young dmen.

Absolutely! excellent point.

Hmm just read recent interviews will some players and they are admitting now that make or break isn't far away if we can't turn things around very soon.

Although Maclean has said the team is feeling like they're sticking together and really being a unit. and that that's the way we'll get out of this cold streak, by sticking together.

Benching Kovalchuk divides the team doesn't bring it closer. i dunno rambling now.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great post MC.
Your second point makes since and seems that the opposition adjust to our first period play and the devils are left flat because the other team worked out how to transition out of their end without the devils really setting up the cycle game. This then leaves us flat footed and scrambling to adjust which doesn't come until the 3rd period where we're behind the eight ball.
17 goals given up in the second period alone and we only scored 15 total thus far. Wow no one would have ever thought that with the devils. The 2nd worst goals against in the league but with the worst goal differential.

Granted, those numbers are a little lopsided because of the Caps and Bruins games, but I still agree.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely! excellent point.

Hmm just read recent interviews will some players and they are admitting now that make or break isn't far away if we can't turn things around very soon.

Although Maclean has said the team is feeling like they're sticking together and really being a unit. and that that's the way we'll get out of this cold streak, by sticking together.

Benching Kovalchuk divides the team doesn't bring it closer. i dunno rambling now.

I don't know about your Kovy statement. All indicators point to a rift between Kovy and the team from last season because he was allowed to run wild. Maybe the benching was a way to show the rest of the team that he's no different.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what you said mc would also help the scoring if they neatened up the passing and got the puck on net to many chances and potential chances being shot wide of net or getting shut down or cleared due to sloppy passes