• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trubisky gonna break out this season?

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Anyway, here's a fun puff piece.

Trubisky aiming to master offense in Year 2

Coach Matt Nagy has been impressed with the deeper understanding of the offense that Trubisky has gained since first being introduced to the system a little over a year ago. It’s enabling the Bears quarterback to make changes before the ball is snapped based on what he sees from the defense—something that Trubisky wasn’t always able to do last season when he was still digesting the playbook.

“Last year he learned it; this year he’s really trying to master it,” Nagy said. “He’s done a wonderful job right now at trying to get to some of the adjustments we have within the plays and the concepts and the schemes. Hopefully within a few months from now when we get to training camp and preseason you all see that in game situations.”

Trubisky, however, is already showing signs in OTAs that this season could be even more special.

“There are adjustments that he makes that we don’t have to tell him, ‘Hey, do this.’ He just does it naturally,” Nagy said. “That’s what you’re looking for.”

Offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich has been just as impressed as Nagy with how Trubisky has grown since his first year in the system and the impact that development has had on the rest of the offense.

“It is literally night-and-day in all the right ways,” Helfrich said. “Our standard for him is extremely high. But just as far as the operation of not only what he’s supposed to do, what the defense is doing, manipulating protections, just the air about him is way different and everybody has noted that, observed that in various ways. Therefore, people around him are playing better and that helps too.”

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be fun to watch. Trubisky and Montgomery will be my top 2 targets to watch on offense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same.

I am excited to see what kinda jump Anthony Miller will make as well.

Miller had an impressive rookie campaign with literally one arm rendered useless.

I still love that kid's skill set, the way he plays the game, his attitude and think he's going to be a stud when all is said and done.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubisky's development has been on a straight-line, linear trajectory since his first handful of starts in the league.

He has the physical/mental tools, the intangibles and the work ethic. He also has the right coach.

I suspect he will only continue to take steps forward. Will he post elite level production this year? I don't know. However, I suspect the TD count to jump up towards 30 and the TD/INT ratio to go from 2-1 to (roughly) 3-1. While the rating jumps from 95 to 100.

How's that? I think if he does that, our run game is solid and our D stays healthy. That makes us a damn strong contender to hoist the Lombardi trophy. Which is really all I give a damn about.

I want it BAAAAD this time around guys. I don't want to miss another window.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want it BAAAAD this time around guys. I don't want to miss another window.

You're not the only one. Telling you guys now, barring catastrophic injuries to our key personnel during the preseason, I'm going with 13-3 and a trip to the SB, which we win of course.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great GMs like Pace wins super bowls. No doubt in my mind the guy will get it done sooner or later.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller had an impressive rookie campaign with literally one arm rendered useless.

The exaggerations are strong in this one.

If Miller had "literally one arm rendered useless" he wouldn't have played a snap. Give me a break.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubisky's development has been on a straight-line, linear trajectory since his first handful of starts in the league.

He has the physical/mental tools, the intangibles and the work ethic. He also has the right coach.
That's really it. There's nothing Trubisky doesn't have in order to be a top level QB. A good arm, very accurate when his feet are set and he's calm, the ability to feel the rush and the ability to run, good leadership, attitude, work ethic, everything, including having one of the best coaches you can ask for me. He just needs to put it together.

This team's ability to take it to the next level is completely dependent on the offense. The defense can't really be better than it was last year. If anything it'll regress through losing Fangio, Amos and Callahan. The offense can more than make up for it though, and i think they will.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really it. There's nothing Trubisky doesn't have in order to be a top level QB. A good arm, very accurate when his feet are set and he's calm, the ability to feel the rush and the ability to run, good leadership, attitude, work ethic, everything, including having one of the best coaches you can ask for me. He just needs to put it together.

This team's ability to take it to the next level is completely dependent on the offense. The defense can't really be better than it was last year. If anything it'll regress through losing Fangio, Amos and Callahan. The offense can more than make up for it though, and i think they will.

I mean, we missed Callahan from early on in the LAR game on through the rest of the season. I didn't notice a difference up until McMannis got beat by Tate, but whose to say Callahan covers that play? I liked Amos, but don't think a movement from him to Ha-Ha is necessarily an automatic drop off. Fangio is the big question... they may miss him, but the D has too much talent. Pagano knows what he's doing. Injuries is the only way I see the D taking a noticeable dip.

So far as Trubisky. Yup, we agree. It's really just the intangible side of things now. Easier said than done, let's be clear. That's where most QB's fail to take that next step up from "decent/good" to "great".

He's proven that he can make all of the throws and his feel in the pocket improved tremendously from 17 to 18. He's one of the best pure runners for a QB that the league has seen... maybe ever. Not Vick good, but in that tier immediately behind him with Wilson, Young and a handful of others.

It's all about anticipating his throws better and having the game slow down even more. That comes with repetition and a good football mind. Most QB's don't fail to take that next step because of physical limitations, but instead it's that the game never fully comes into focus mentally.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, we missed Callahan from early on in the LAR game on through the rest of the season. I didn't notice a difference up until McMannis got beat by Tate, but whose to say Callahan covers that play? I liked Amos, but don't think a movement from him to Ha-Ha is necessarily an automatic drop off. Fangio is the big question... they may miss him, but the D has too much talent. Pagano knows what he's doing. Injuries is the only way I see the D taking a noticeable dip.

So far as Trubisky. Yup, we agree. It's really just the intangible side of things now. Easier said than done, let's be clear. That's where most QB's fail to take that next step up from "decent/good" to "great".

He's proven that he can make all of the throws and his feel in the pocket improved tremendously from 17 to 18. He's one of the best pure runners for a QB that the league has seen... maybe ever. Not Vick good, but in that tier immediately behind him with Wilson, Young and a handful of others.

It's all about anticipating his throws better and having the game slow down even more. That comes with repetition and a good football mind. Most QB's don't fail to take that next step because of physical limitations, but instead it's that the game never fully comes into focus mentally.
Agree mostly. But still, the defense was soooo damn good last year, it'll just be hard to replicate that same high level. But the replacements made + Roquan Smith having a training camp + development from guys like Eddie Jackson, Bilal Nichols and Leonard Floyd should keep the defense very, very high level.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree mostly. But still, the defense was soooo damn good last year, it'll just be hard to replicate that same high level. But the replacements made + Roquan Smith having a training camp + development from guys like Eddie Jackson, Bilal Nichols and Leonard Floyd should keep the defense very, very high level.

Oh, of course. A little regression may be inevitable, but we could still slightly regress and be the best in the league. IMO. At least, top 3.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I think the D overall will play at a super high (ie, championship) level, it probably will be hard to duplicate the turnovers they created. The league-leading 27 INTs from last season will be really tough to match. We ended up with a +12 in TO ratio, which will also be a challenge, altho not nearly as tough as stealing 27 passes.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said last year that our SB contending window opened. This year will probably be the teams peak in talent for a long time. The defense can possibly improve under pagano with the personnel changes in the secondary.

Offensively, next year is the big year. Will teams figure out Nagys scheme? Will Trubisky make the next step, stay the same, or regress? I am hoping for a great offense, I think we have the personnel who have a year of familiarity that easily could take the next step. However, I am used to offenses falling apart as a bears fan, so I’m not sure what to expect.

Special teams is also huge. Can we find a good kicker? Will the rest of the STs improve?

I think if everything goes well, we could have a special season.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the offense takes a big step forward. We're less predictable without Howard. Cohen becomes a bigger weapon. I don't expect much from Ridley but Montgomery's upgrade will be noticeable from the start. Our oline is better as will be Trubisky. A big upgrade on offense.

Defensively, at best we move laterally but likely a slight drop. Losing Callahan was huge. But I think Smith and Mack will have much bigger years. I can't imagine Hicks having a better year than last year. Nichols I think will be a nice surprise. I'm hearing rave reviews of Duke Shelley so i'm excited to see him.

Sadly from what I've read so far our kickers are not doing well. As bad as Parkey was last year I see a downgrade in this area.

And last year we were pretty healthy overall. Which is rare. I can't expect the same luck this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Break out?? He will show growth and improve his numbers but I don't expect top 5 numbers until next year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said last year that our SB contending window opened. This year will probably be the teams peak in talent for a long time. The defense can possibly improve under pagano with the personnel changes in the secondary.

Offensively, next year is the big year. Will teams figure out Nagys scheme? Will Trubisky make the next step, stay the same, or regress? I am hoping for a great offense, I think we have the personnel who have a year of familiarity that easily could take the next step. However, I am used to offenses falling apart as a bears fan, so I’m not sure what to expect.

Special teams is also huge. Can we find a good kicker? Will the rest of the STs improve?

I think if everything goes well, we could have a special season.

I haven't yet looked into what our cap/contract/free agency situation will be heading into the 2020 off-season. However, I think that the "peak" of talent should be for more than just this year. We don't have to decide on a Trubisky contract for a couple of years still and that's typically when you have to make compromises in other areas. I think we have 2-3 year window with this team as it is. Especially considering that we are very young and I don't anticipate many guys being on the verge of a drop-off.

I've heard the idea thrown around of extending Trubisky sooner rather than later. Which I'm not opposed to. However, if you're Trubisky... I don't see why on Earth you would agree to that. Unless you're prepared to be a Tom Brady and martyr yourself financially for the benefit of the team.

I suppose everyone in Chicago should be actively trying to find Mitch a zillionaire super model wife, so money becomes a non-issue. He's a good looking kid, starting NFL QB, good personality, eligible bachelor... he can do it.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't yet looked into what our cap/contract/free agency situation will be heading into the 2020 off-season. However, I think that the "peak" of talent should be for more than just this year. We don't have to decide on a Trubisky contract for a couple of years still and that's typically when you have to make compromises in other areas. I think we have 2-3 year window with this team as it is. Especially considering that we are very young and I don't anticipate many guys being on the verge of a drop-off.

I've heard the idea thrown around of extending Trubisky sooner rather than later. Which I'm not opposed to. However, if you're Trubisky... I don't see why on Earth you would agree to that. Unless you're prepared to be a Tom Brady and martyr yourself financially for the benefit of the team.

I suppose everyone in Chicago should be actively trying to find Mitch a zillionaire super model wife, so money becomes a non-issue. He's a good looking kid, starting NFL QB, good personality, eligible bachelor... he can do it.
We’re probably at our peak in talent for a while. Heck, last year might haven been our peak in talent. Next year we will probably lose trevathan and maybe even Whitehair (doubtful). To argue otherwise is silly. We’re going to be bleeding talent the next few years.