• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting...

Carbon Engineering says the technique unveiled today has already been implemented at its small, pilot plant in Squamish, British Columbia. It is currently seeking funding to build an industrial-scale version of the plant, which Keith says it can complete by 2021.

Their technique, while chemically complicated, does not rely on unprecedented science. In effect, Keith and his colleagues have grafted a cooling tower onto a paper mill. It has three major steps.

First, outside air is sucked into the factory’s “contactors” and exposed to an alkaline liquid. These contactors resemble industrial cooling towers: They have large fans to inhale air from the outside world, and they’re lined with corrugated plastic structures that allow as much air as possible to come into contact with the liquid. In a cooling tower, the air is meant to cool the liquid; but in this design, the air is meant to come into contact with the strong base. “CO2 is a weak acid, so it wants to be in the base,” said Keith.

Second, the now-watery liquid (containing carbon dioxide) is brought into the factory, where it undergoes a series of chemical reactions to separate the base from the acid. The liquid is frozen into solid pellets, slowly heated, and converted into a slurry. Again, these techniques have been borrowed from elsewhere in chemical industry: “Taking CO2 out of a carbonate solution is what almost every paper mill in the world does,” Keith told me.

Finally, the carbon dioxide is combined with hydrogen and converted into liquid fuels, including gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. This is in some ways the most conventional aspect of the process: Oil companies convert hydrocarbon gases into liquid fuels every day, using a set of chemical reactions called the Fischer-Tropsch process. But it’s key to Carbon Engineering’s business: It means the company can produce carbon-neutral hydrocarbons.

Climate Change Can Be Reversed by Turning Air Into Gasoline - The Atlantic

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting...

Carbon Engineering says the technique unveiled today has already been implemented at its small, pilot plant in Squamish, British Columbia. It is currently seeking funding to build an industrial-scale version of the plant, which Keith says it can complete by 2021.

Their technique, while chemically complicated, does not rely on unprecedented science. In effect, Keith and his colleagues have grafted a cooling tower onto a paper mill. It has three major steps.

First, outside air is sucked into the factory’s “contactors” and exposed to an alkaline liquid. These contactors resemble industrial cooling towers: They have large fans to inhale air from the outside world, and they’re lined with corrugated plastic structures that allow as much air as possible to come into contact with the liquid. In a cooling tower, the air is meant to cool the liquid; but in this design, the air is meant to come into contact with the strong base. “CO2 is a weak acid, so it wants to be in the base,” said Keith.

Second, the now-watery liquid (containing carbon dioxide) is brought into the factory, where it undergoes a series of chemical reactions to separate the base from the acid. The liquid is frozen into solid pellets, slowly heated, and converted into a slurry. Again, these techniques have been borrowed from elsewhere in chemical industry: “Taking CO2 out of a carbonate solution is what almost every paper mill in the world does,” Keith told me.

Finally, the carbon dioxide is combined with hydrogen and converted into liquid fuels, including gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. This is in some ways the most conventional aspect of the process: Oil companies convert hydrocarbon gases into liquid fuels every day, using a set of chemical reactions called the Fischer-Tropsch process. But it’s key to Carbon Engineering’s business: It means the company can produce carbon-neutral hydrocarbons.

Climate Change Can Be Reversed by Turning Air Into Gasoline - The Atlantic

My career has crossed paths with one of the people involved in this. I will say that they're brilliant. I will, however, also say that they are arrogant to the point of being dangerous (based on some of their past projects).

Very interesting concept here though.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This morning I sat at the Korean War Memorial in Baltimore looking over the harbor waiting for my friend and horse racing source Jones Falls to show up. I had his coffee and a muffin waiting for him. I did not see any rats this time, just a seagull eating a french fry. From the look and taste of the half of fry the bird left on the ground I'd have to guess it was a Burger King fry.

I burped and I could still taste last night's beer on it, the poor excuse for coffee I was drinking was not helping. I nodded to Jones Falls as he sat down and slid him his coffee. He took a sip and said it was good coffee, I pretended to agree. He thanked me for the muffin.

About the race he told me there would be no surprises, Justify will win the triple crown. He did tell me I could probably win a few bucks if I put money on Blended Citizen to show. I told him I'd think about it. He also said he has a line on getting some of Justify's semen to sell if I wanted in on that venture. Of course I wanted in on that.

We shook hands and stood to go our separate ways. Me to work, him to god knows where. When he got about twenty feet away he called out to me.

"Oh yeah," he said "some dog was looking for you".

Then he turned and was gone. I dropped my coffee in the trash, said goodbye to the seagull, looked over my shoulder, and walked to my car.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
so how's the G7 thing going?

oh and the dullard orange puppet brought up Russia 9 times in 51 seconds.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's in response to what Navarro said earlier today, but heaven is a bit of a stretch lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really care about this dick measuring contest but I feel like sacrificing the Canadian auto industry for the benefit of the dairy industry seems like the kind of logic that would, I dunno, torpedo our economy or something.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out trump is a uniter afterall lol

Status
Not open for further replies.