• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Triple Espresso of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dash,

Why didn't you just name the new thread "Trump Roast Special Blend cup of coffee" it would have at least been...well somewhat unpretentious.

lol - No need to make that guy's ego any bigger by naming a thread after him :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dewz2vPWkAAja4m.jpg:large

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"I have the absolute right to PARDON myself"

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m surprised he didn’t use quotes on “pardon”

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 in favour of the Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.

The court ruled the State human rights commission violated the baker’s religious freedom.

U.S. Supreme Court hands victory to Colorado baker in landmark clash over religion, civil rights – The Denver Post

The ruling didn't actually address a business owner's right to deny services on religious grounds. All it said was, when fighting such denials of service, hostility in court isn't allowed.

I personally think the denial of service is nonessential to religious practice, and if you're running a business, that business should be--if it's not explicitly religious in nature--separate from your faith. But, if we're going to permit religious exemptions, they must be consistent and complete. That is, this same person would have to deny service also to any heterosexual couple who, for example, had premarital relations, or any couple who would have any activities or customs at their wedding which are prohibited by his faith. Selectively applying one's religion to exclude certain people is still discrimination, whether founded in faith or not.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ruling didn't actually address a business owner's right to deny services on religious grounds. All it said was, when fighting such denials of service, hostility in court isn't allowed.

I personally think the denial of service is nonessential to religious practice, and if you're running a business, that business should be--if it's not explicitly religious in nature--separate from your faith. But, if we're going to permit religious exemptions, they must be consistent and complete. That is, this same person would have to deny service also to any heterosexual couple who, for example, had premarital relations, or any couple who would have any activities or customs at their wedding which are prohibited by his faith. Selectively applying one's religion to exclude certain people is still discrimination, whether founded in faith or not.
Basically they said the Colorado Civil Rights Commission fucked up...to use legal terms

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My brother in law is already thumping this as a win for all religious bigotry. I mean, religious "freedom". Add it to the list of things he doesn't understand. You could fill a bus with what he doesn't understand.

Gonna be a decade of stupid arguments calling this "precedent", though.

Basically they said the Colorado Civil Rights Commission fucked up...to use legal terms

Incompetus fuctus.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the conservative branch knew there was no way they could get Kennedy on board under the precedent of cases like Katzenbach and Piggie Park, so they decided to approach it from a much narrower perspective and leave the bigger question open until they have a new justice on board who they think will vote their way.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

"I have the absolute right to PARDON myself"
for those history fans, Nixon asked if he could pardon himself.
Justice Department said "don't be ridiculous, no one is above the law"
Nixon resigned three days later.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - Birds of a feather and all that...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of making 43 stabby, Betsy Devos is infuriating as Education secretary.

Status
Not open for further replies.